SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 6, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #13,381 of 14,773
And making them trrs you can just get a trrs -> trs pig tail, that is what I've done. All my phones are wired balanced and I then have a number of pig tails to other terminations

.....exactly what I planned to do!
beerchug.gif
......time to get home and I'll put my hands over the jewel!

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #13,382 of 14,773
It's not unless you want to use ie800 specifically with sony/hifiman daps.I would advise to buy an armature iem with detachable cables for ZX2 or later if you get hit by the upgrade bug  uncommon as it may be if you decide to stick around this site and decide to go  for WMIA/Z,the new sony flagship than practicallly rendering your ie800 useless with any other gear.Frankly i would advise if you are sort of money and can't afford to buy a new flagship iem to sell ZX2 and go for QP1R,much better synergy(ZX2 and ie800 are too warm and can't utilize to full potential without changing cable),supreme detail,clarity and soundstage with no need to rewire cables,from my 20min demo at a store i can see this as endgame for portable use,easily.

I am partial to ie800,it has too unique and memorable a signature to use just with one dap,it's like a chameleon and can be very satisfying with the right gear which ZX2 is not.
for me the qp1r doesn't sound good at all. Ymmv

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #13,383 of 14,773

What make you so disappointed with the ie800 and zx2?....to me it's a very good combo, hopefully even better with TRRS connection.
I don't take care cutting off the ie800 wire because I only want use them with my ZX2 and in next future with WM1Z......I like very much the SQ out of my ie800.

Disappointed is a strong word and i like the sq of ie800 too that's why i haven't sold it after 3 years.There are other daps that have better synergy with ie800,qp1r,Cayin N6,probably hm901s from the impressions of the forum giving it stellar recommendations,with zx2 the combination is good if you like overly warm tone but for the money you spend there are better combos,even mojo is better with ie800 even though i'm not a fan of its subdued,overly smooth although detailed treble.

If you're dead set on doing the trrs  with ie800 at least go to a store and demo them with Questyle and even Cowon Plenue another good synergistic dap with them and if you are unimpressed then go for the terminal recablement route,that's what i would do or of course you can buy another used ie800 from here and problem solved :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #13,393 of 14,773
Don't have it yet, and probably never...tired of waiting

change your thought pattern 

start thinking 'well i can always get a used/like new one for half price in 6 months from now , meanwhile i will enjoy some more my lovely zx2'

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back