SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 30, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #13,186 of 14,755
My Mint ZX2 for sale.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/821694/sony-nw-zx2-truly-mint-condition.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #13,187 of 14,755
It has given this DAP a new level of clarity that is like nothing in have heard before from the zx2.

I wish I discovered this earlier. But it's my pleasure to share any way I can, to improve the zx2, and if you step the bass back up with clear bass, I think you get most of the bass back:thumbsup:.
What a shame people sold this DAP before sampling with the second volume down 3 to 4 notches down. What a major improvement.

This is very interesting. I'll definitely try that when I get home tonight. Will post back with an impression.

BTW, I posted a picture showing my TRRS adapter couple of pages ago, said I was going to post about the difference. Well, I couldn't find a difference in sound, I think it's a placebo effect.

It is a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adapter, the IEM's are JH Angie's. I switched between 2.5mm balanced cable and stock 3.5mm cable back and forth, and couldn't notice a difference.

Given that ZX2 is not a balance designed DAP there wouldn't have been a difference in the first place. Just putting a TRRS jack input does not make a difference in my opinion, but of course YMMV.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #13,188 of 14,755
This is very interesting. I'll definitely try that when I get home tonight. Will post back with an impression.

BTW, I posted a picture showing my TRRS adapter couple of pages ago, said I was going to post about the difference. Well, I couldn't find a difference in sound, I think it's a placebo effect.

It is a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adapter, the IEM's are JH Angie's. I switched between 2.5mm balanced cable and stock 3.5mm cable back and forth, and couldn't notice a difference.

Given that ZX2 is not a balance designed DAP there wouldn't have been a difference in the first place. Just putting a TRRS jack input does not make a difference in my opinion, but of course YMMV.

It is seperate ground so you get the main benefit of a true balanced by eliminating and chance of cross over noise. To me it's a noticeable difference with trrs having less background noise and a clearer and tighter sound

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #13,189 of 14,755

Is it an adapter to allow your 2.5mm TRRS to be converted into a 3.5mm 4-poles TRRS that can be plugged into the ZX2?

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #13,190 of 14,755
Hello,

I just order an EU ZX2, i will receive it soon

Can someone please tell me all i need to do ( app downlad / dsiabled option etc ...) to have the best of it? I tried to read all the 800+ pages but i'm not sure that i found the up to date technic.

I will pair it with my Audeze Sine, what do you think about that? I may buy Balanced Iem if is it worth it ( if you have some idea).

Thank you :)

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #13,192 of 14,755
Anyone try using SONY ZX2 with amplified speakers. I realize now what the Chord Mojo does. I was listening with my studio monitors and at first I thought it didn't sound as good as the mojo....the mids being the difference. Then you can enable clearaudio+ which compress the width and depth of the soundstage like the chord mojo dimensions.....like Whitgir says in his review....to be more of an X than a sphere and brings the mids forward......Then it sounds similar to the chord mojo....more energetic sound and that sharper treble and recessed bass. But after turning clearaudio+ off....the normal sound is much more relaxed and natural and more holographic.  

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #13,193 of 14,755
  Anyone try using SONY ZX2 with amplified speakers. I realize now what the Chord Mojo does. I was listening with my studio monitors and at first I thought it didn't sound as good as the mojo....the mids being the difference. Then you can enable clearaudio+ which compress the width and depth of the soundstage like the chord mojo dimensions.....like Whitgir says in his review....to be more of an X than a sphere and brings the mids forward......Then it sounds similar to the chord mojo....more energetic sound and that sharper treble and recessed bass. But after turning clearaudio+ off....the normal sound is much more relaxed and natural and more holographic.  

Mojo smooths the treble edge of many daps,aiming for a more relaxed /smoother/non fatiguing sound retaining the detail and clarity,if that is your cup of tea then go for it,otherwise Zx2 treble is noticeably edgier/resolving micro detail better in trrs/eq disabled mode.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #13,194 of 14,755

Different to what I hear, and few others I think. I have Angies and I made adapter to use balanced cable (came with Angies) on ZX2. 

1) ZX2 noise. Basically none, on balanced wiring
2) Noise floor - noticably lower.
3) Overall tightness of the sound, articulation, etc.

I do not think it is  placebo effect (I was switching back and forth).

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #13,195 of 14,755
We all have different hearing I guess.

Some hear differences in balanced mode, some don't.

The more fortunate ones who can't hear a difference will hopefully be able to save some money from all the expensive balanced plugs and cables, and probably be immuned to all the upgrade bugs, from those crazily priced new DAP.

Be happy with your ZX2, as it delivers smooth yet detailed music, no matter balanced or unbalanced.

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #13,198 of 14,755
At least, these group of people hear a difference and spend willingly for the difference, i.e. they know what they are paying for.

Another group may not hear a difference, but continue to spend money too, by reading from people who hear a difference! 

The best line I have heard since...years

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #13,200 of 14,755
whitgir i have  a ZX2 and i want to try the TRRS you mention what is the cheapest way to do it and where can i get the cables etc... thanks

That depends on what phones you want to try it on and how they are cabeled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back