SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 28, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #13,156 of 14,755
You will enjoy this!

Wonder what other TRRS plugs are available? Any finding of rhodium-plated ones, or those "L" plugs? Only found straight plugs so far, but kind of like the L-plugs.

Anyway, very happy with my ZX2 with Z5 in balanced mode, and not looking out for WM1A or WM1Z anymore.

Yes , as many have stated, the Zx2 is perfect for Custom in ears or high end ear buds just fine. The 1A or 1Z is likely to be the folk that can drive headphones. The A and Z also has more power and using the same trrs on SE as Zx2 with longer battery life, dsd native and no android...so, Zx2 will become a collectible piece

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #13,157 of 14,755
Have been listening to my ZX2 with XBA-Z5 in "Balanced" mode using the Sony Upgrade Cable re-terminated with Oyaide 4-poles TRRS plug.

Not sure if it is the special elements of ZX2 in balanced mode, or the XBA-Z5 reacting different with balanced mode, but wow... the sound!

my nt6 cable is being trrs reterminated as we speak , good times ahead :gs1000smile:

I got my Silver widow cable back from Toxic yesterday, with a shiny new TRRS termination. I'm looking forward to doing some serious listening this weekend :grinning:

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #13,158 of 14,755
Yes , as many have stated, the Zx2 is perfect for Custom in ears or high end ear buds just fine. The 1A or 1Z is likely to be the folk that can drive headphones. The A and Z also has more power and using the same trrs on SE as Zx2 with longer battery life, dsd native and no android...so, Zx2 will become a collectible piece

I am not a headphone person, and I listen to ZX2 at 15%-20% volume (with the sound enhancement disabled), and found it effortless to drive my Z5 and JH16pro with authority and smoothness. Any higher power will deafen my ears. Battery life is almost endless (vs my old HM-801, DX90, etc.) with a mix of 24bits and 16bits files for more than 30hrs, and I keep my hires files in WAV so no need DSD native.

With the Cruzerlite casing to protect the built-like-tank body, this is end-game for me. Glad to have bought the latest batch of the ZX2, and probably the last batch produced in 2016 with a decent price (thanks to WM1A/WM1Z launch!)

No point chasing new designs, just by paying more for features that I don't need, and using the android apps for office events - timer, movies, ppt, projected wireless to LCD projectors and TV. All good and probably you are right, the ZX2 will be a collectible piece with beautiful sound and capability to do everything in a thin and light (relative if compared to WM1A/WM1Z) body!

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #13,159 of 14,755

I am not a headphone person, and I listen to ZX2 at 15%-20% volume (with the sound enhancement disabled), and found it effortless to drive my Z5 and JH16pro with authority and smoothness. Any higher power will deafen my ears. Battery life is almost endless (vs my old HM-801, DX90, etc.) with a mix of 24bits and 16bits files for more than 30hrs, and I keep my hires files in WAV so no need DSD native.

With the Cruzerlite casing to protect the built-like-tank body, this is end-game for me. Glad to have bought the latest batch of the ZX2, and probably the last batch produced in 2016 with a decent price (thanks to WM1A/WM1Z launch!)

No point chasing new designs, just by paying more for features that I don't need, and using the android apps for office events - timer, movies, ppt, projected wireless to LCD projectors and TV. All good and probably you are right, the collectible piece with beautiful sound and capability to do everything in a thin and light (relative if compared to WM1A/WM1Z) body!

+1 on the cruzerlite case , but you need a screen protector ofc and yes i agree it is a wonderful (and very cheap) case

zx2 is a great dap and even though i am very curious how 1A sounds , zx2 is more than good for me atm and i could hang on to it for a long time ahead

built like a tank , big internal memory , huge battery , sounds good , looks good , feels good 

as much i as i am intrigued by the 1A coming, i would rather spend money on another pair of ciems (which i am about to do 
tongue.gif
 )

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #13,160 of 14,755

+1 on the cruzerlite case , but you need a screen protector ofc and yes i agree it is a wonderful (and very cheap) case

zx2 is a great dap and even though i am very curious how 1A sounds , zx2 is more than good for me atm and i could hang on to it for a long time ahead

built like a tank , big internal memory , huge battery , sounds good , looks good , feels good 

as much i as i am intrigued by the 1A coming, i would rather spend money on another pair of ciems (which i am about to do 
tongue.gif
 )

Yes, screen protector on, as I ordered the iGadgetz case too which comes with a fitting LCD protector. Cruzerlite is a more steady case than the iGadgetz, but both are cheap and solid casing.

As far as improvement in sound, I agree with you that a better spending on a better IEMs will produce more obvious difference than a DAP or Amp.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #13,163 of 14,755
i am a headphoes person at the house, at work my Z5 do the job, but yeah got my MDR-1R stolen in a scam scheme buying mishap so currently only have Z5.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #13,164 of 14,755
Joining the ZX2 family. Bought my player of quodjo105 for an excellent price. So far gotta say UI is better than any other dap I used. I am coming from the chord mojo. I have to say zx2 has better soundstaging and better frequency extension on both ends. I finally hear my missing treble extension from the mojo. I think detailing is a bit better too and impact(esp bass) is much more stronger. Despite all this, I somehow felt I felt more enjoyment from the mojo. I have a trrs cable coming so I hope that changes things. Maybe I just need brain burn in after hearing the mojo everyday for the past 8 months. The zx2 feels more dynamic and raw vs the chord's refined presentation. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #13,165 of 14,755
anyone here using EE Athena with his ZX2 ? How is the synergy ?

thanx 

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #13,167 of 14,755
  Joining the ZX2 family. Bought my player of quodjo105 for an excellent price. So far gotta say UI is better than any other dap I used. I am coming from the chord mojo. I have to say zx2 has better soundstaging and better frequency extension on both ends. I finally hear my missing treble extension from the mojo. I think detailing is a bit better too and impact(esp bass) is much more stronger. Despite all this, I somehow felt I felt more enjoyment from the mojo. I have a trrs cable coming so I hope that changes things. Maybe I just need brain burn in after hearing the mojo everyday for the past 8 months. The zx2 feels more dynamic and raw vs the chord's refined presentation. 

Congrats! Good time to grab a ZX2 with users selling cheap to grab new toys, or grab a brand new one with good discount from Sony Store (if they have not run out of stocks!).

Saw a display set at a good authorised retailer at a superb price lower than some used set sold here (just slightly more than US$600!), but with some paint loss at the bottom sharp edges. I guess this will be the areas that will need protection and thus getting a silicon case will be better than getting the original leather case from Sony as the bottom is not fully protected

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #13,168 of 14,755
  If the savings from buying abroad is 30%, that would more than make up for shipping. 

Where in Asia, specifically where in Japan?

HK price is good, but Japan price could be even better, provided you can still find stocks. The 30% savings is not gross though, as I sold the free IEMs (free gift from Sony) for around $200 sealed set, so the net price is less than US$800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back