SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #12,916 of 14,755
Has anyone had their battery replaced out of warranty, I would love to know what Sony expect us loyal client's to pay for a battery change over?

I have also heard that Sony refuse to do replacement batteries, and your zx2 Walkman is at the end of its shelf life when the batteries fail past warranty dates. :hushed:

Now this is preposterous and I would like to believe this isn't true at all. Can a Sony rep, or someone who has sent their zx2 in for a new battery confirm this?

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the battery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Typical wear for a Li-ion battery is that it will be reduced to 80% of its original capacity after 500 recharge cycles. It's important to note that they mean full, complete recharge cycles--from 0-100%. If you typically recharge the battery when it reaches, say, 20% remaining power, and you charge it back up to 100%, then that's only 80% of a full discharge cycle.

In my case, on average, I recharge the ZX2 once every 10 days. And by that 10th day, I am indeed at approximately 20% remaining charge.

So that's approximately 36 recharges per year. And realistically, that's only roughly 29 FULL recharge cycles per year, since I'm only recharging 80% of the capacity each time.

Round that up to an even 30 per year, and it becomes obvious that it would take about 16 years for me to reach 500 complete recharge cycles. At which point, the battery would STILL contain 80% of its original capacity.

Of course, the simple march of time would probably speed that number up. But it's still safe to say that one shouldn't notice any appreciable degradation in battery life after two years. And likely, not even after five years. By that time, we'll all have moved on to our solid gold NW-WM1Zs anyway. Amirite? :D

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #12,917 of 14,755
Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the battery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Typical wear for a Li-ion battery is that it will be reduced to 80% of its original capacity after 500 recharge cycles. It's important to note that they mean full, complete recharge cycles--from 0-100%. If you typically recharge the battery when it reaches, say, 20% remaining power, and you charge it back up to 100%, then that's only 80% of a full discharge cycle.

In my case, on average, I recharge the ZX2 once every 10 days. And by that 10th day, I am indeed at approximately 20% remaining charge.

So that's approximately 36 recharges per year. And realistically, that's only roughly 29 FULL recharge cycles per year, since I'm only recharging 80% of the capacity each time.

Round that up to an even 30 per year, and it becomes obvious that it would take about 16 years for me to reach 500 complete recharge cycles. At which point, the battery would STILL contain 80% of its original capacity.

Of course, the simple march of time would probably speed that number up. But it's still safe to say that one shouldn't notice any appreciable degradation in battery life after two years. And likely, not even after five years. By that time, we'll all have moved on to our solid gold NW-WM1Zs anyway. Amirite? :D

This is a very good point, and thanks for being logical about it, I also have been doing similar things with my battery only charging up to 90%, (I'll probably join you at 80% now) and doing my best to preserve the battery life. For a long life, my zx2 is in mint condition.
I guess my biggest fear is not having my precious music anymore, and I'm looking for reasons not to upgrade to the new Walkman. WM1Zs
:smiling_imp:

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #12,918 of 14,755
and I'm looking for reasons not to upgrade to the new Walkman. WM1Zs
:smiling_imp:

You just know that all that extra money may yield very small to no real appreciable sound quality increase. It will come down to how you respond to the new tuning as I'm sure at that cost Sony took care to make sure it is different (but that doesn't mean better) sounding than the ZX2. I suspect the background will be blacker which seems to be a consistent complaint with ZX2 owners.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #12,919 of 14,755
You just know that all that extra money may yield very small to no real appreciable sound quality increase. It will come down to how you respond to the new tuning as I'm sure at that cost Sony took care to make sure it is different (but that doesn't mean better) sounding than the ZX2. I suspect the background will be blacker which seems to be a consistent complaint with ZX2 owners.

Yes, I must resist my selfish temptation to update I know I am very happy with what I have got going on at the moment with my rig, so I'm sitting still and as said earlier, I have cut my credit cards up now, so I can think clearly, and can't do anything stupid.. And with my current combination the zx2/Solar with the silver and 2%gold cable, there is no considerible hiss, it's only on start up and then disappears, and this pairing, the sound stage, and bass is to my tastes.

It's like your there in the studio with the band. Lifelike and doesn't tire your ears fast. I can live with this rig for a very long time.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #12,920 of 14,755

For me, the 1A is interesting if only because of the extra power to drive larger and less efficient headphones. On the flip side, I'm not particularly happy that the 1A retains less flexibility compared to the ZX2, like not using Android (which means the 1A can't be used for any incidental applications), no wifi, and no capability to be used as an external DAC (which admittedly, Sony has never done).

As you say, the perceived increase in sound quality is going to be difficult to hear. So personally, I'd prefer a DAP that includes extra functionality to justify such a high price.

Frankly, right now, I'm eyeballing the Cayin i5 and the Onkyo DP-X2. But the Cayin is still very new, the Onkyo hasn't been released, nor has the 1A. I'd really like to get a healthy set of sonic and usability impressions from each before making any kind of decision.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #12,921 of 14,755
From my own experiences, Zx2 real Con is this noisy back ground and low output power. Then in trade we have this analog feeling within it produced music. The result of using S-Master without no real Top tier DAC inside ? Who knows.

All I can tell is that the Pha-3 while using the similar build, it uses ES9018S, a desktop version of ESS Sabres, and it sounds so freaking awesome. Sony never advertise the Pha-3 as being a hybrid build. I guess they didn't tweak, engineer and design around it enough to call it so.

However, the new ta-zh1es Desktop DAC/amp is advertised to be using this Hybrid Build. I was thinking it would be similar to pha-3 but with a much beefier circuitry, and that means having a real DAC inside, then I saw a picture of it having AKM chip inside. What model does it have ? I have no idea. Is it really AKM inside ?

What I found from trying different sources including the Walkman and S-Master is that the S-master has very good Analog amplification, but in trade off for digital conversion in the micro details spectrums. Sony doesn't disclose the real specs on S-Master, but for instance, noisy back ground is the result of all the : higher output impedance, Lower Dynamic Range, higher THD. The Zx2 really has that Analog feeling within it tonal body, while the DP-X1 for example, doesn't have that analog feeling inside it. In trade the DP-X1 has black back ground, better micro details. Both of them still offer the superior soundstage in spherical senses. That was why I put in the review as according to preferences, one may found either zx2 or dp-x1 to be their love.

Myself, I preferred the Walkman Zx2 because I love the analog feeling, but that low power output and noisy back ground which churns into the micro details, it keeps on bothering me. I finally looked up the pha-3 and made my purchase. I freaking love it, and I had not been using Zx2 phones out for so long now. All is just Zx2 and pha3.

Now, you may ask me why am I keeping onto my Zx2 when my Pha-3 does all the decoding and amplifying ? One again, my answer, the Walkman with the S-master has Unique build on it that scales it Digital output signals with different (things attached), and that matters. Example of

1/ Zx2 + Cradle + Stock USB cables to Pha-3. It sounded great, and sounded much better than Zx2 + Stock cables to pha-3. Upgrade the USB cables from the dock to Pha-3 and witness an even better sound quality

2/ Zx2 + Dongle accessory + Stock cables. It sounds better than Zx2 + Stock cables to pha-3. This Dongle cables also has improvements when modified using better cables quality

The improvements, and sensitivities from Zx2 digital output is un-seen from other DAP, or not as pronounced when upgraded the digital cables. The crazy thing is that Zx100 has also different sound quality than Zx2 when feeding pha-3.

Those above were why I keep on my Zx2 for a superior transport when having all cables done right.

Now, with all new Sony gears being released. The best and sensible upgrades for sensible hardcore audio enthusiast , who also already own Zx2, pha3, would be in order of

1/ ta-zh1es
2/ new Walkman 1A
3/ 1Z , gold Walkman

There is no doubt that new Walkman A/Z will act as a superior transport to the pha3, or the ES DAC/amp. It will also natively feeding DSD rather than Zx2 converting to PCM. There is no doubt that the gold Walkman would act as an ever better transport. However, can you really justify yourself spending that much money ? That is up to you

Because after all of those above experiments and witnesses from me, I could conclude that Walkman does well with the right accessory, cables, when transporting, all is just it build to be affecting by digital signal amplification. This digital signals corrections and amplification can be found in every mid-high end desktop system. Then this mean, when feeding the ( zh1es) using either Walkman A/Z, the quality differences may be hardly observed. But having both the zh1es and the new 1A Walkman will take care of the majority Hardcore enthusiast problems

1/ Native DSD from a Walkman
2/ Top tier Desktop setup when needed

Bonus = 1A is still capable of 250 mW per channel for using on the go...which the Z version is probably 15% better ? At 2.5x the prices ?

After all, making a purchase for zh1es and 1A will out you a soft $3,400 plus tax and if additional warranty.....we are looking at a soft $4,000. It doesn't sound as bad when you consider other manufacturers gears, DAP+Desktop DAC/amp

Finally, I am glad to see Sony is back to it game and producing high-end devices. This shows their determination on further developing and producing more for music and audio quality in the future. I am so happy as an enthusiast and even more as a fan of the 90 Walkman. Welcome back Sony

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #12,922 of 14,755
Finally, I am glad to see Sony is back to it game and producing high-end devices. This shows their determination on further developing and producing more for music and audio quality in the future. I am so happy as an enthusiast and even more as a fan of the 90 Walkman. Welcome back Sony

i always had a spot soft for SONY , ever since i picked my first walkman back in the 80s

remember a period where the infatuation we have now for the totl daps was shown a s a kid to those sony cassette-playing walkmans

really glad to see SONY still around

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #12,923 of 14,755
You can get it from many places, moon audio, toxic cables....etc...etc, depends on how much you want to spend

I just got the zx2 and want to get new cables for the shure 535 in order to use trrs. Toxic cables offers cables for the shure for around 150. I can choose the option "3,5 mm trrs (hifiman)" for the termination. I just get these cables plug them into the shure and I am set? Thanks for your help!

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #12,924 of 14,755
I just got the zx2 and want to get new cables for the shure 535 in order to use trrs. Toxic cables offers cables for the shure for around 150. I can choose the option "3,5 mm trrs (hifiman)" for the termination. I just get these cables plug them into the shure and I am set? Thanks for your help!

That is correct 3.5mm TRRS (Hifiman)

Which cable did you go for?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #12,926 of 14,755
Did not buy it yet. But thank you for your help!

​No problem. Check out the Toxic thread if you want advice on the best cable to pair with your gear. There are some great guys on there who will be more than happy to help out.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #12,927 of 14,755
I read that people isn't happy becouse in the 1A there isn't Android... I'm very very happy becouse it lacks Android, for me this is an advantage. Why Sony hasn't updated the ZX2 system in two years?? How many times has Sony update the ZX100 with his own OS? PROBABLY Sony will update 1A with its own OS more than 1Z with Android.

I have post several bugs and aspects that are inadmissible for me in the ZX2 (probably becouse Android OS).

I prefer that 1A makes one thing perfect (playing music) that makes several things nearly perfect. It's my opinion...

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #12,928 of 14,755
I read that people isn't happy becouse in the 1A there isn't Android... I'm very very happy becouse it lacks Android, for me this is an advantage. Why Sony hasn't updated the ZX2 system in two years?? How many times has Sony update the ZX100 with his own OS? PROBABLY Sony will update 1A with its own OS more than 1Z with Android.

I have post several bugs and aspects that are inadmissible for me in the ZX2 (probably becouse Android OS).

I prefer that 1A makes one thing perfect (playing music) that makes several things nearly perfect. It's my opinion...

​If you don't mind me asking, what are the bugs and issues with the ZX2 you find unacceptable?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #12,929 of 14,755
ZX2 is still a fantastic choice for streaming from a NAS at home as well as music streaming services.

For connecting ZX2 to USB DAC while streaming DSD (*.dff and *.dsf) files stored on a NAS, we could even bypass DSD-to-PCM conversion with MinimServer 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-dap/6375#post_11756373

vHr46kh.png

And then the best part should be controlling ZX2 remotely via an Android tablet while navigating through the entire music library.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #12,930 of 14,755
​If you don't mind me asking, what are the bugs and issues with the ZX2 you find unacceptable?

- No direct DOP of DSD to PHA-3 (my iPhone does, it's a software question).
- Side buttons doesn't respond sometimes.
- Search by artist instead of artist albums.
- Internal memory and microSD handle (as independent memory).

It's a 1200 USD equipment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back