SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 2, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #12,901 of 14,755
Wow, what timing! I just got home from a day at the beach to find my Norne hyper short adapter for my fiio balanced cable. I'm listening to zx2 with my se846 now trrs, and am very pleased. I didn't think it would be this much of a difference, and this is with fiio's $27 balanced mmcx cable.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #12,902 of 14,755
Wow, what timing! I just got home from a day at the beach to find my Norne hyper short adapter for my fiio balanced cable. I'm listening to zx2 with my se846 now trrs, and am very pleased. I didn't think it would be this much of a difference, and this is with fiio's $27 balanced mmcx cable.

Great result! I found a big difference with TRRS with my SE425's, so enjoy the 'new' sounds! 
beyersmile.png

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #12,903 of 14,755
  Still reading this thread, on page 173.  If I pull the trigger on the NW-ZX2, should I get the Japanese version, or US version?   Are you glad you bought the NW-ZX2?  Would you buy it again at current price (if you never bought it? or would you go in a different direction

Personaly I went for a Japanese model being sold on Ebay. I managed to find one that was only three months old and had hardly been used. Pristine condition and only £700. Would I have paid full price for it? Probably yes. It's a great DAP and is the perfect portable one box solution for me.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #12,904 of 14,755

Personaly I went for a Japanese model being sold on Ebay. I managed to find one that was only three months old and had hardly been used. Pristine condition and only £700. Would I have paid full price for it? Probably yes. It's a great DAP and is the perfect portable one box solution for me.

Thanks :)   Anyone else with regards to Japanese version vs US?  I am in US.  Any difference?

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #12,905 of 14,755

Thanks :)   Anyone else with regards to Japanese version vs US?  I am in US.  Any difference?

us/japan should be the same sonic-wise, the EU model is the weak link because it comes with volume cap which is a bummer 

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #12,906 of 14,755
I'm still waiting to get my Silver Widow cable back from Toxic cables with a TRRS re-termination, but in the meantime I'm curious about what I can expect with this semi-balanced output. I'm actually quite surprised at how many people have expressed what a significant improvement it is. Can anyone describe the difference they heard from the TRRS termination? Is this a spacial/sound stage improvement or something else?

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #12,907 of 14,755
I'm still waiting to get my Silver Widow cable back from Toxic cables with a TRRS re-termination, but in the meantime I'm curious about what I can expect with this semi-balanced output. I'm actually quite surprised at how many people have expressed what a significant improvement it is. Can anyone describe the difference they heard from the TRRS termination? Is this a spacial/sound stage improvement or something else?

Hi, I heard a difference in the soundstage so yes, for me, it improved and I felt instruments or voices were better for it. I heard a subtle change to the treble, I'm not sure how to word it, errr, treble got clearer and more defined so I kind of hear the tsk tsk of a cymbal more clearly. Bass is still very good and so the SW24 didn't affect this in any negative way for me. I just find the whole sound is great. I don't know the audiophile lingo nor how to use the terms sorry. I feel I get more detail from the music too. Maybe this is the clearly defined treble or bass or whatever. Either way, I am loving it. Am listening to a brilliant bi-naural album now on the ZX2, "From the Mountaintop", now this is incredible on TRRS.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #12,908 of 14,755
Hi, I heard a difference in the soundstage so yes, for me, it improved and I felt instruments or voices were better for it. I heard a subtle change to the treble, I'm not sure how to word it, errr, treble got clearer and more defined so I kind of hear the tsk tsk of a cymbal more clearly. Bass is still very good and so the SW24 didn't affect this in any negative way for me. I just find the whole sound is great. I don't know the audiophile lingo nor how to use the terms sorry. I feel I get more detail from the music too. Maybe this is the clearly defined treble or bass or whatever. Either way, I am loving it. Am listening to a brilliant bi-naural album now on the ZX2, "From the Mountaintop", now this is incredible on TRRS.

​Thanks for that detailed explanation. You have a fairly similar setup as well, so that's useful.

Did you get to hear the same gear single ended/TRS before changing to TRRS?

Anyone else want to chime in on how they hear the difference? 

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #12,910 of 14,755
​Thanks for that detailed explanation. You have a fairly similar setup as well, so that's useful.

Did you get to hear the same gear single ended/TRS before changing to TRRS?

Anyone else want to chime in on how they hear the difference? 

Oh yeh I was single ended the whole time before. All I had was ZX2 and the same SE425's. So that gave me the 'memory' to tell the difference when I went TRRS.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #12,911 of 14,755
  So getting an adapter clearly helps for better sound quality? Or do we need to get a cable directly that terminated with a TRRS plug? 

Are they both equal in terms of sound?

​No, your cable needs to be wired correctly. If the cable is balanced and has another termination like a 2.5mm TRRS or Kobiconn then you can use an adapter to convert the plug to 3.5mm TRRS, however an adapter won't work with a cable that has TRS termination.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #12,913 of 14,755
  Got it. So I can use the 2.5TRRS balanced cable for my Angie's. Even though I use the custom cable and very satisfied, I will give it a shot with the stock balanced 2.5mm cable with the adapter.

Thanks.

​Sounds good. Let us know how it sounds
etysmile.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #12,914 of 14,755
TRRS is well worth it. All my phones are balanced and I have a number of pig tails to all sorts of balanced and single ended terminations. The ZX2 seperate ground actually gives most of the benefits og fully balanced (darker background, cleaner tighter sound, better placement), it just does not give the greater power due to there being no inverter and hence no double voltage swing.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #12,915 of 14,755
Has anyone had their battery replaced out of warranty, I would love to know what Sony expect us loyal client's to pay for a battery change over?

I have also heard that Sony refuse to do replacement batteries, and your zx2 Walkman is at the end of its shelf life when the batteries fail past warranty dates. :hushed:

Now this is preposterous and I would like to believe this isn't true at all. Can a Sony rep, or someone who has sent their zx2 in for a new battery confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back