SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #12,661 of 14,755
  I know it is not a popular thing to say here among ZX2 fans, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to a device that you love, and deservedly so, but if Sony is short-sighted enough to put out yet another underpowered device in favour of battery life that only a select few actually need as opposed to like to know is available to them, than I have no idea what to say. I'm not suggesting a Sony DAP need be a powerhouse, that isn't their thing, but come on, at least 30 - 50mW at 32ohms is surely reasonable and achievable. I'll hope as I would love to buy a Sony DAP, but I'm not paying crazy money for an IEM specialized DAP. For anything close to or over a $1000, in my book it has be versatile enough to drive a 32ohm load to around 85-90db. I know some members here talk about running their full-sized cans with the ZX2, I don't doubt that is true, but for certain as compared to myself, and many other members here from what I can tell, they must like rather quiet playback levels, which is fine, just not my thing.

Sure, with really loud mastered, contemporary material you can often get away with the low power level of the ZX2, at least to what I consider moderate volume level, but what happens when you try to play some quieter 60s, 70's or 80's material? There is no way you can get enough SPL into even a fairly efficient headphone with a 15mW amp, it just can't happen. Anyway, I love Sony products, I have owned many, and I hope to one day be able to buy a DAP of theirs, but I need some more power. Rant over, I know I do this from time to time, and I'm sorry for that, but I always hope that over time, if enough people feel the same way, and Sony reps gather feedback from sites like this, maybe they will look at the idea and find a compromise which I would be happy with. Ideally I want 150mW, but that isn't realistic so I'll take even 50!

Edit: I removed the use of the word stupid, that wasn't really appropriate to imply Sony was stupid, poor choice of word. And for the record I am a Sony fan, not a hater. I have been buying Sony products since the 1980s, turntables, cassette decks, amps, tuners, CD players, headphones (first set of headphones were 1980's Sony) and old style Walkmans. Recently I have owned a PHA3, A17, MDR1A and a Z7 so I obviously like Sony products and I continue to be very interested in Sony products. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. 

I think you are mistaken. Sony does not intentionally reduce the maximum volume of its DAPs to improve battery life. American and Japanese models of the ZX2, for example, are not output-capped. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are rules in Europe that regulate the maximum volume of gadgets that Sony must adhere to. I actually don't think that they have to abide by said rules, as other companies don't do that either, but they want to prevent their customers from damaging their hearing. I vaguely remember Sony saying something about this some time ago, but I have only fleeting memories of that.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #12,662 of 14,755

I think you are mistaken. Sony does not intentionally reduce the maximum volume of its DAPs to improve battery life. American and Japanese models of the ZX2, for example, are not output-capped. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are rules in Europe that regulate the maximum volume of gadgets that Sony must adhere to. I actually don't think that they have to abide by said rules, as other companies don't do that either, but they want to prevent their customers from damaging their hearing. I vaguely remember Sony saying something about this some time ago, but I have only fleeting memories of that.

You are talking about something completely different, but I get the confusion. The volume cap and power of the amplifier are not the same issue. The US and Japanese version is still underpowered, just without the volume cap.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #12,663 of 14,755
  why say this if you have not seen the specs yet (assuming you are talking abou the new players)? while i do agree with you in some aspects, sony is a grea brnd i know too but having been disappointed by the zx100 build has casted some doubts for sony and it's pricing

My post takes that possibility into consideration, and yes I agree, nobody should have an opinion or judge a product until it has been released and used. My post was in the vein of I hope not again, or at least that is how I intended it.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #12,664 of 14,755
By heart i will get a ZX2 /NW-WM1 sucessor... why:

I bet these high end DAPs don't have (maybe yes but internally or well done) Glued components together.... Top face of the zx100 is semi glued/fastened with some screws.... leatherette is entirely glued and mine was either somehow misfitted or began to expand (dont see reason for this on pleather or real elather)  and literally had to use a surgical-grade scalpen to finely cut a bit o it and make it fit well withouth making the top part to separate from main body 

Glad it still woks fine in the sense of software and sonic operation, i dont deny it sounds great but sony? the build is like a taped and glued ferrari that at a few rides it falls apart LOL

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #12,665 of 14,755

I bet these high end DAPs don't have (maybe yes but internally or well done) Glued components together.... Top face of the zx100 is semi glued/fastened with some screws.... leatherette is entirely glued and mine was either somehow misfitted or began to expand (dont see reason for this on pleather or real elather)  and literally had to use a surgical-grade scalpen to finely cut a bit o it and make it fit well withouth making the top part to separate from main body 

Glad it still woks fine in the sense of software and sonic operation, i dont deny it sounds great but sony? the build is like a taped and glued ferrari that at a few rides it falls apart LOL

Well, be prepared to pay three times the price of the ZX100.  I'm sorry what had happened to your ZX100 but I really don't think the ZX2's successor will be cheap.  My ZX100 seems to hold together just fine.

Can you share some pics of your ZX100?

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #12,666 of 14,755

Well, be prepared to pay three times the price of the ZX100.  I'm sorry what had happened to your ZX100 but I really don't think the ZX2's successor will be cheap.  My ZX100 seems to hold together just fine.

Can you share some pics of your ZX100?

yes arriving home i spent all my trial MB from AT&T Mexico, waiting for my number to transfer from my former carrier to AT&T Mexico

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #12,668 of 14,755
hmmm what whitigir said of the price being 2x of that f the zx2....

The ZX1 was 700 USD then ZX2 1,200 USD.... the sucessor of the ZX1, the ZX100 was also similarly epiced at 700 USD so getting this pattern i predict perhaps a slight bump in price or staying the same as zx2

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #12,669 of 14,755
I know it is not a popular thing to say here among ZX2 fans, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to a device that you love, and deservedly so, but if Sony is short-sighted enough to put out yet another underpowered device in favour of battery life that only a select few actually need as opposed to like to know is available to them, than I have no idea what to say. I'm not suggesting a Sony DAP need be a powerhouse, that isn't their thing, but come on, at least 30 - 50mW at 32ohms is surely reasonable and achievable. I'll hope as I would love to buy a Sony DAP, but I'm not paying crazy money for an IEM specialized DAP. For anything close to or over a $1000, in my book it has be versatile enough to drive a 32ohm load to around 85-90db. I know some members here talk about running their full-sized cans with the ZX2, I don't doubt that is true, but for certain as compared to myself, and many other members here from what I can tell, they must like rather quiet playback levels, which is fine, just not my thing.

Sure, with really loud mastered, contemporary material you can often get away with the low power level of the ZX2, at least to what I consider moderate volume level, but what happens when you try to play some quieter 60s, 70's or 80's material? There is no way you can get enough SPL into even a fairly efficient headphone with a 15mW amp, it just can't happen. Anyway, I love Sony products, I have owned many, and I hope to one day be able to buy a DAP of theirs, but I need some more power. Rant over, I know I do this from time to time, and I'm sorry for that, but I always hope that over time, if enough people feel the same way, and Sony reps gather feedback from sites like this, maybe they will look at the idea and find a compromise which I would be happy with. Ideally I want 150mW, but that isn't realistic so I'll take even 50!

Edit: I removed the use of the word stupid, that wasn't really appropriate to imply Sony was stupid, poor choice of word. And for the record I am a Sony fan, not a hater. I have been buying Sony products since the 1980s, turntables, cassette decks, amps, tuners, CD players, headphones (first set of headphones were 1980's Sony) and old style Walkmans. Recently I have owned a PHA3, A17, MDR1A and a Z7 so I obviously like Sony products and I continue to be very interested in Sony products. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. 
all my closed portables are driven well by the zx2. If you have sensitivity around 32 ohms and 100 db, it should be fine.This is helped further if you disable sound enhancements, which gives another 10% volume.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #12,670 of 14,755
  hmmm what whitigir said of the price being 2x of that f the zx2....

The ZX1 was 700 USD then ZX2 1,200 USD.... the sucessor of the ZX1, the ZX100 was also similarly epiced at 700 USD so getting this pattern i predict perhaps a slight bump in price or staying the same as zx2

if the new dap released is indeed the new flagship , it should be 1500$ minimum 

my advice if it is so expensive , better search for a used zx2 around 600$

i am definitely hyped about a new ZX flagship DAP and will subscribe to its thread from day 1, however if the price is that high i am more than fine sticking with zx2 and spending 1000$ for a 2nd totl custom (if/when i get bored of my NT6)

BUT a zx2 for 600$ , well i don't think you will be dissapointed 
wink.gif

being a sony fan since the 80s (when i got my first walkman) i am really happy to see SONY being back on top of the DAP talk

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #12,672 of 14,755
...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are rules in Europe that regulate the maximum volume of gadgets that Sony must adhere to. I actually don't think that they have to abide by said rules, as other companies don't do that either, but they want to prevent their customers from damaging their hearing. I vaguely remember Sony saying something about this some time ago, but I have only fleeting memories of that.

Yes, that's because of a French regulation rule.... But Who knows, maybe Brexit will change it for the UK now lol

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #12,673 of 14,755
Yes, that's because of a French regulation rule.... But Who knows, maybe Brexit will change it for the UK now lol

The rule only aplies to a device WITH it's included headphones so since Sony don't include a headphone there is no rule to comply with.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #12,675 of 14,755
So following a brief break from hi fi purchasing (I thought I'd found my end game with AK120 mezzo mod + Ray Samuels F22 lightning balanced amp) I got suckered back in with the promise of a single box solution and better battery life. :D

I managed to pick up a pristine 3 month old Japanese ZX2 on ebay for £725, so I'm hugely chuffed about that.

I was wondering if there was any way to tell how many hours were already on the device? The seller said there were less than 100, but I'd love to know if the sound sig is still expected to change.

I'm also curious to know what people's favourite pairings are with the ZX2 right now? I'm currently rocking some Tralucent 1plus2's and a Toxic Silver Widow cable, however I'm still waiting to get it re-terminated to an angled TRRS. My set up sounds great, but obsessive that I am, I know it can sound better.

Final question is about players. As suggested I have disabled the Sony audio adjustment app, therefore I was wondering if there was still value to using the stock Sony player? If the device is now playing music cleanly and unaffected, I presume the player is now irrelevant? What's everyone else using?

Cheers all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back