SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #12,647 of 14,755
quote! with zx2 I never tire of listening to music! You termination TRRS?

I have the TRRS plug ready to solder on, however I use my Solar with the LG v10 as well a lot lately, so have held off the swapping of plugs on the silver/gold cable I use with it.

Still sounds incredible in TRS, but I'm sure will be improved further with the plug swap, and will do it soon.
I really hate extension adapters tho to swap back to TRS.(they scratch everything)

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #12,648 of 14,755
Lol adhesives that improve the sounds ? Excellent science, I will need to go make myself some adhesives and pour it on top of all my headphones and zx2 including TRRS

Nah man you got it wrong lol, it's the sticker that is improving the sound somehow, we are wondering how?

Only thinking the adhesive better be more than just the sticker, or it might peel off, work as a rattle. Lol

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #12,649 of 14,755
I have the TRRS plug ready to solder on, however I use my Solar with the LG v10 as well a lot lately, so have held off the swapping of plugs on the silver/gold cable I use with it.

Still sounds incredible in TRS, but I'm sure will be improved further with the plug swap, and will do it soon.
I really hate extension adapters tho to swap back to TRS.(they scratch everything)

:wink_face:

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #12,650 of 14,755
So, I don't know how many of you follow the car business. But there's something that Tesla introduced for their vehicles that I would be interested to see mirrored in a new Sony DAP.

As we all know, Sony is wont to manufacture DAPs with rather low output—in the case of the ZX2, 15mW. Well, just as Tesla introduced "Ludicrous" mode for their vehicles—which essentially uses up the battery power much more quickly in order to provide enhanced acceleration—I'd be interested in seeing a similar "Ludicrous mode" for Sony DAPs.

Fine, let's use 15mW as a baseline. Presumably, that would yield superb run times (in the 30-60 hour range), just as with the ZX2. But switching to Ludicrous mode would then allow an output of, say, 150mW. Yes, you'll burn through the battery much more quickly, but it will allow the option to use much more demanding IEMs and full-sized headphones.

I think something like that would be a substantial, tangible update to the ZX2. Although, I would certainly like to see a more modern SoC at the heart of the system. It doesn't even need to be anything super up-to-date. Something like a Snapdragon 650, or an 808 or even an older, 32-bit model like the 805 would be a nice upgrade.

And frankly? Get rid of the hump. Not that I think it's a poor aesthetic choice. But I'd rather have the "saved space" filled with extra battery, to be honest.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #12,651 of 14,755
Car is a whole lot world different than audio and signal amplification. Car is like muscles, as long as it gets the cooling done right, and the motor meat, then it won't be a problem.

Audio and signal amplification a is like an art, where every little components counts and not only that but each individual component tolerances and leakage and etc....etc....etc. The more you amplify a signal, the more you are more than likely to also amplify the noises. The more you filter and control the noises, the more you are losing in musical fidelity. In a sense, no, you just can not simply build something using the automotive sciences and apply it toward signal processing (all kinds).

Unless, Sony designed the thing to be super powerful from the beginning and then controlled it down with software, and in this case ? The thing is going to be astronomical in price. Why ? Because of design, expensive components, and after all, there is only so much you can squeeze and compress within such a small space, especially power supply, period. This is the main reason why Desktop of various pieces is still king of the game at similar prices. Portable will have a while to go

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #12,652 of 14,755
As much as I love the SQ of my first ZX walkman: the ZX100... I am so disappointed by the lousy build, feels like a child's toy.... glued parts, ever-expanding letherette back cover slowly separating top plastic cover.

I think this time i will invest in some serious price range d buy the new walkmn successor of the ZX2/100, hope is build tough like the ZX2, i have enough money saved and 25K pesos is yes a blow but not significant if the product is build to last.

If the new suessor is as cheap as the zx100, which i hardly believe, i will get a zx2.

seems sony has redefined this $700 UD is the new $200USD damn it

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #12,653 of 14,755
As much as I love the SQ of my first ZX walkman: the ZX100... I am so disappointed by the lousy build, feels like a child's toy.... glued parts, ever-expanding letherette back cover slowly separating top plastic cover.

I think this time i will invest in some serious price range d buy the new walkmn successor of the ZX2/100, hope is build tough like the ZX2, i have enough money saved and 25K pesos is yes a blow but not significant if the product is build to last.

If the new suessor is as cheap as the zx100, which i hardly believe, i will get a zx2.

seems sony has redefined this $700 UD is the new $200USD damn it

All is thankful to A&K :D. If the new Walkman is anything of 2k, I am going to build myself a flagship Desktop and enjoy VR gaming instead :D because it is cheaper lol

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #12,654 of 14,755
I think i will take this idea, don't know who said it if @audioxxx, @purk , @whitigir or poedros i will wait a couple of months and evaluate the reviews on Head-fi rather than rushing for it and getting bad luck same happened with XBA-H3

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #12,655 of 14,755
I'm sure I will not get the new player. My need is exclusively to play flac files and I can't see any new device being so far superior to the ZX2 for that use that it will be worth the price of the upgrade

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #12,656 of 14,755
I'm sure I will not get the new player. My need is exclusively to play flac files and I can't see any new device being so far superior to the ZX2 for that use that it will be worth the price of the upgrade

i will get it to play my FLAC files too
beerchug.gif
, depending on pricing, colors (as audio xxx says) and BUILD /SQ i will be deciding between zx2 or the new one, theres plenty of time to decide from september to december (when i trvel to hamburg)

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #12,658 of 14,755
I know it is not a popular thing to say here among ZX2 fans, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to a device that you love, and deservedly so, but if Sony is short-sighted enough to put out yet another underpowered device in favour of battery life that only a select few actually need as opposed to like to know is available to them, than I have no idea what to say. I'm not suggesting a Sony DAP need be a powerhouse, that isn't their thing, but come on, at least 30 - 50mW at 32ohms is surely reasonable and achievable. I'll hope as I would love to buy a Sony DAP, but I'm not paying crazy money for an IEM specialized DAP. For anything close to or over a $1000, in my book it has be versatile enough to drive a 32ohm load to around 85-90db. I know some members here talk about running their full-sized cans with the ZX2, I don't doubt that is true, but for certain as compared to myself, and many other members here from what I can tell, they must like rather quiet playback levels, which is fine, just not my thing.

Sure, with really loud mastered, contemporary material you can often get away with the low power level of the ZX2, at least to what I consider moderate volume level, but what happens when you try to play some quieter 60s, 70's or 80's material? There is no way you can get enough SPL into even a fairly efficient headphone with a 15mW amp, it just can't happen. Anyway, I love Sony products, I have owned many, and I hope to one day be able to buy a DAP of theirs, but I need some more power. Rant over, I know I do this from time to time, and I'm sorry for that, but I always hope that over time, if enough people feel the same way, and Sony reps gather feedback from sites like this, maybe they will look at the idea and find a compromise which I would be happy with. Ideally I want 150mW, but that isn't realistic so I'll take even 50!

Edit: I removed the use of the word stupid, that wasn't really appropriate to imply Sony was stupid, poor choice of word. And for the record I am a Sony fan, not a hater. I have been buying Sony products since the 1980s, turntables, cassette decks, amps, tuners, CD players, headphones (first set of headphones were 1980's Sony) and old style Walkmans. Recently I have owned a PHA3, A17, MDR1A and a Z7 so I obviously like Sony products and I continue to be very interested in Sony products. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #12,659 of 14,755
I gave you guys a hint for that question already, but nobody cared about that particular post :wink:

only thing you said is it's not zx3/zx200

so different android system from zx2 ?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #12,660 of 14,755
  I know it is not a popular thing to say here among ZX2 fans, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to a device that you love, and deservedly so, but if Sony is short-sighted enough to put out yet another underpowered device in favour of battery life that only a select few actually need as opposed to like to know is available to them, than I have no idea what to say. I'm not suggesting a Sony DAP need be a powerhouse, that isn't their thing, but come on, at least 30 - 50mW at 32ohms is surely reasonable and achievable. I'll hope as I would love to buy a Sony DAP, but I'm not paying crazy money for an IEM specialized DAP. For anything close to or over a $1000, in my book it has be versatile enough to drive a 32ohm load to around 85-90db. I know some members here talk about running their full-sized cans with the ZX2, I don't doubt that is true, but for certain as compared to myself, and many other members here from what I can tell, they must like rather quiet playback levels, which is fine, just not my thing.

Sure, with really loud mastered, contemporary material you can often get away with the low power level of the ZX2, at least to what I consider moderate volume level, but what happens when you try to play some quieter 60s, 70's or 80's material? There is no way you can get enough SPL into even a fairly efficient headphone with a 15mW amp, it just can't happen. Anyway, I love Sony products, I have owned many, and I hope to one day be able to buy a DAP of theirs, but I need some more power. Rant over, I know I do this from time to time, and I'm sorry for that, but I always hope that over time, if enough people feel the same way, and Sony reps gather feedback from sites like this, maybe they will look at the idea and find a compromise which I would be happy with. Ideally I want 150mW, but that isn't realistic so I'll take even 50!

Edit: I removed the use of the word stupid, that wasn't really appropriate to imply Sony was stupid, poor choice of word. And for the record I am a Sony fan, not a hater. I have been buying Sony products since the 1980s, turntables, cassette decks, amps, tuners, CD players, headphones (first set of headphones were 1980's Sony) and old style Walkmans. Recently I have owned a PHA3, A17, MDR1A and a Z7 so I obviously like Sony products and I continue to be very interested in Sony products. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. 

why say this if you have not seen the specs yet (assuming you are talking abou the new players)? while i do agree with you in some aspects, sony is a grea brnd i know too but having been disappointed by the zx100 build has casted some doubts for sony and it's pricing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back