SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #12,436 of 14,773
  Finally got a cable for ZX2 to Mojo.  Eh, sounds pretty much the same as anything else to me, just glad I can finally use ZX2's storage and interface.

I feel Mojo still sounds a bit more alive, but ZX2 with TRRS is no joke.  Better soundstage/separation and just as detailed.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't you turning your ZX2 into a mind-bogglingly expensive storage device that serves no justifiable purpose? I see those combinations quite alot and always wonder why.

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #12,439 of 14,773
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't you turning your ZX2 into a mind-bogglingly expensive storage device that serves no justifiable purpose? I see those combinations quite alot and always wonder why.

There are more to digital signals and itself being a transport than the "myth" of any transport would sound the same. Even the interconnect digital cables will prove to be a worthy investment than the analog cables that connect your amp to your headphones. Simply put, Zx2 is the best of Sony yet, and still better with the cradle feeding as transport.

I gotta admit that even I was caught in that "myth" when I was still a newbies. There are reasons why Zx2 drain much more battery when it is a transport device...the battery barely last 6 hours :D

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #12,440 of 14,773

I'm using my ZX2 as a storage too hooking up to my Yggy DAC.  It, of course, does sound pretty good by itself.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #12,441 of 14,773

Don't agree with the 'mind-boggling' part ($4000+ for a DAP, anyone?), but I can see where you're coming from, the enhancements and unique audio circuitry  are a bit lost with use as a storage. But I have to agree with Whitigir, the digital out from the ZX2 is no slouch, I prefer it over analog in all situations that I've tried (with the Shure KSE1500, the Chord Hugo, etc). I'd go so far as to say it's noticeably better than the digital output from some 'mind-boggling' DAPs which shall remain nameless 
tongue.gif

For me, not sure what exactly Sony did, but it shows. Now to get off my butt and actually get one of those cables for myself. I still don't get how Sony can't just release a digital out -> micro USB cable themselves, instead of needing that clunky adapter.

Edited for clarity/typos.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #12,442 of 14,773
If you going to use the ZX2 to output digital signal, I highly suggest getting a dedicated dock. Whitgir can also tell you how great the ZX2 + Dock can sound compared to wimpy supplied USB digital out cable.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #12,443 of 14,773
If you going to use the ZX2 to output digital signal, I highly suggest getting a dedicated dock. Whitgir can also tell you how great the ZX2 + Dock can sound compared to wimpy supplied USB digital out cable.

Absolutely, the dock is just too good when sitting on a desk :D. Nothing better than never run out of battery. However, if you need portable cables for Zx2 digital, I highly recommend a modified version of the stock dongle cables

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #12,444 of 14,773

Does the dock travel fairly easily? I use the ZX2 digital output only when I'm on assignment, in the hotel room after work (transportable), vs just the ZX2 and an IEM when I'm out (portable). Might look into taking it with me if it can be bundled in easily while on the road.

Edit: and another consideration, assuming there is a Sony announcement about a ZX2 successor soon, that might end up getting sold too. Think I'll wait till October at least and see if there's any news out of Sony.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #12,446 of 14,773
I agree with Whitigir.  I made one trip with the dock and it was a pain.  Go with the dongle cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back