SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 9, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #12,466 of 14,773

Don't agree with the 'mind-boggling' part ($4000+ for a DAP, anyone?), but I can see where you're coming from, the enhancements and unique audio circuitry  are a bit lost with use as a storage. But I have to agree with Whitigir, the digital out from the ZX2 is no slouch, I prefer it over analog in all situations that I've tried (with the Shure KSE1500, the Chord Hugo, etc). I'd go so far as to say it's noticeably better than the digital output from some 'mind-boggling' DAPs which shall remain nameless 
tongue.gif

For me, not sure what exactly Sony did, but it shows. Now to get off my butt and actually get one of those cables for myself. I still don't get how Sony can't just release a digital out -> micro USB cable themselves, instead of needing that clunky adapter.

Edited for clarity/typos.

That's exactly what I mean. When you use the ZX2 as a pure storage device, and I think that's what is happening here, you bypass its digital amplifier and also its DAC, yet that's where all the (expensive) magic is coming from. I can understand why you prefer the digital signal. I use a digital cable, too, to connect my ZX2 to my HP-V1 tube amplifier. However, I still get enjoy the audio bliss coming from both the audio circuitry and sound enhancements.

Aren't there cheaper ways than buying a ZX2? There must be cheaper devices offering digital outputs with good quality.

You're feeding analog signal to HP-V1, not digital. Yes, there are cheaper digital transports, but when you already have a ZX2, why not use it?

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #12,468 of 14,773
Aug 9, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #12,471 of 14,773
Some say it's clearly an upgrade, some say they can see some improvement, some cant tell the difference at all. Unfortunately I fall into the latter category.

All I know is, with a SW24 cable and TRRS, I couldn't believe how good it was. It was good before, it got better after.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #12,473 of 14,773
 i am really thinking of trrs-terminating my hybrid cable

the only problem is i can not stay 6-8 weeks without my cable , and therefore i constantly stalling sending it over at toxic cables 
rolleyes.gif

nt6+hybrid sounds fine with the zx2 and i start thinking 'well maybe you don't need to trrs your cable'

has anyone here had one of his cables trrs-zx2 and can share how much difference he heard ?

i am not thinking of selling my cable so i don't really mind trrs it , only question is how much better the cable will sound if it is trrs-terminated

feedback , please 

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #12,474 of 14,773

the only problem is i can not stay 6-8 weeks without my cable , and therefore i constantly stalling sending it over at toxic cables :rolleyes:

nt6+hybrid sounds fine with the zx2 and i start thinking 'well maybe you don't need to trrs your cable'

has anyone here had one of his cables trrs-zx2 and can share how much difference he heard ?

i am not thinking of selling my cable so i don't really mind trrs it , only question is how much better the cable will sound if it is trrs-terminated

feedback , please 

Ah...common, the same cables with TRRS will be much better than TRS and you know it

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #12,476 of 14,773

the only problem is i can not stay 6-8 weeks without my cable , and therefore i constantly stalling sending it over at toxic cables 
rolleyes.gif

feedback , please 

My very basic feelings when I started using a SW24 TRRS cable with my ZX2......
post #12027

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #12,477 of 14,773

Unless you're passing to a class D amp, which doesn't need a traditional DAC

Well, analogue input Class D amps still require the DAC, it is digital input Class D that do not need them.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #12,479 of 14,773
Anyone else find Neutron player to sound worse than the stock player?

I find Neutron to have a larger soundstage / airier sound
but it sounds softer / less detailed / less engaging than the stock player.

On the ZX2 I definitely prefer the stock app. Sounds much better with less low volume distortion. On other players however, I prefer the Neutron app for the same reason, lol (less distortion on the Neutron app vs stock app or other 3rdarty apps). This may just be me. I have a pair of Shure se846s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back