SONY NW-ZX2
May 3, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #11,491 of 14,755
  is it a special innovation from SONY?

They have been doing a S-Master Pro thingy since 1999 or so.  Search Sony STR-DA9000ES and read its white paper on S-Master Pro system.  The S-Master Pro HX is just a scaled down version of that amp for portable applications.

May 4, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #11,492 of 14,755
Hi everyone, new to this forum, I own the zx2, can anyone recommend if I should go and buy the ph3 amp, or should I buy another amp.

I am using the zx2 with my jhaudio angie and I still feel I need more oomph 

May 4, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #11,493 of 14,755
Hi everyone, new to this forum, I own the zx2, can anyone recommend if I should go and buy the ph3 amp, or should I buy another amp.

PHA-3 main advantage is the balanced connection. It means you will need new cables to get the best out of it, so if you are ready, why not ? Otherwise, don't bother.

May 4, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #11,494 of 14,755

may be your problem is angie,

while i honestly don't feel the angie lacking in bass, but there are iems with more powerful bass like se846 or roxanne, if you can try them with zx2 they might give you more ooomph.

also you can try to increase the clear bass on zx2 and see if the changes will suit you, i find it very well implemented.

but honestly my zx2 drives my angies very nice, and i think again if there is any room for improvements, it will be subtle.

also did you try playing with your bass attenuator on the angie maxing it out ?

May 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #11,495 of 14,755
I have conducted a bit of an expensive and hard work experiments. I concluded that the Zx2 is an excellent transport if you use it with the correct accessory (Only). It also explains why the Zx2 spend it battery like crazy when being a transport. It is because Zx2 spends a lot of it prowess to cater toward the DC signals to not only preserve the best of the Digital signals, but also give it the best quality it needs. The worse thing is that the Zx2 needs both parts to have you witness the best of it quality. It accessory.

1/ Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output. It has quality capacitors, resistors, and a huge processor chip on the inside. Quality shielding....etc....etc. When using this cables, there is a huge step up away from the cheap OTG cables from PHA-3 packaging or 3rd party cables of similar kind

The real deal

The trash PHA-3 cables for Walkman, and it similar low quality OTG for Walkman to digital.

Now, you ask how should you know ? First, buy authentic Sony cables as I said above. Second, the different is most seen in the size of the cables. The low quality has no inner stuffing, where as the Sony high-res has a sophisticated inner boarding. Picture from another member compare to the smaller one

To have the best quality of transporting from Zx2, you will have to modify the stock cables, and there was one member who posted it here before as well. At first look, you may think it is BS. But it is not.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/10890#post_12400249

I did an extensive testing and criticle listening between the PHA-3 cables and this cables. There were a huge different in "inner fidelity" and "soundstage" just to name the most 2 obvious improvements. There are more weighty, impact within a tonal body of beats and plays. The vividly representing rhymes of the instruments and it energies. The bad thing is that it only has Female USB end. It also has cheap copper wires inside. Therefore, I modified my cables. Let's talk about it later.

2/ The next accessory that you would want for Zx2 as a transport will have to be the dock. BCR-NWH10

It allow you to transport quality high resolution digital signals into your DAC/amp. It also allow charging while docking and feeding external devices, so your Zx2 is always charged. You wonder why ? Here is a shot of the inside. Yes, by using these 2 accessory. You can get the best digital feeding on the go, or the best desktop digital feeding. There are no argues about this. It is just pure facts that me and a reputable member had witnessed it.

****Now, the glorified/modified**** cables. This is only a prototype. I used large AWG Solid pure quality silver for wires. Quality shielding to resist interferences, and output toward Micro-USB port. I am very happy with the result, and will be making another improved version soon.

Why do modifications ? Because we need the micro USB end, then we want to upgrade the cables for even better quality. Why not ? Beside, to make sure the inner stuffing is authentic, there is only one way....to buy authentic cables and modify it.

So far, all I can say is that Digital signals do need special cares given to have quality music as a part of the chain, and whoever think digital do not get negative affects is wrong. Example of flours and sugar to make cookies. You have bad cookies if flours and sugars are bad, you have best cookies if flours and sugars are the best. Now, imagines your Digital signals being Flours and sugar....then the chief who make cookies is your DAC....and your cookies is the final Analouges quality to output the music to your ears.

Therefore I am very happy with my improved and modified cables. I thought I would want to share with anyone who want to know more. You can disregard it if you don't want to believe it.

Now, if you want to ask more questions ? It would be why did I say Zx2 is one of the best transport ? Again, only Zx2 would bring special catering toward digital signals out at this level....a stand alone DAP that lasts for 18 hours or more....but digitally transport and it got reduced to 10 hours or so. It was also specially designed for Sony own accessory, and the best quality can only come off this combination. Would a smartphone be good for transporting ? Of course, and why not ? But portably speaking, for the best quality ? It gotta be the Sony newest gadgets and technologies.

May 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #11,496 of 14,755
Excellent post ! Thanks.
But regarding the docking station I don't see any analog output
confused_face_2.gif

And if it's there, it would be interesting to know if the output level is higher (and even more !)
than that obtainable with Fiio L5 cable

May 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #11,497 of 14,755
That 3rd picture of the 3rd party cable is very specifically for the Oppo HA-2  not general OTG devices afaik? Still hoping there will someday be a more compact Nwh10 cable like that.

Does that dock work with the A10/20 series also? The NWH10 cable works with them too (if someone doesn't need android and just want a small transport it works well), though still kills the battery life. Wonder if ZX100 does any better since I think it has the most capacious battery of the Sony DAP.

May 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #11,498 of 14,755
  That 3rd picture of the 3rd party cable is very specifically for the Oppo HA-2  not general OTG devices afaik? Still hoping there will someday be a more compact Nwh10 cable like that.

Does that dock work with the A10/20 series also? The NWH10 cable works with them too (if someone doesn't need android and just want a small transport it works well), though still kills the battery life. Wonder if ZX100 does any better since I think it has the most capacious battery of the Sony DAP.

Battery  run-time has nothing to do with SQ ... is the caps and solder, board used as @Whitigir said, ZX100 is the evolution of ZX1, so is better than you AVG a10/A20 in terms of SQ

May 5, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #11,500 of 14,755
Excellent post ! Thanks.
But regarding the docking station I don't see any analog output :confused_face_2:

And if it's there, it would be interesting to know if the output level is higher (and even more !)
than that obtainable with Fiio L5 cable

I stand corrected, the analouge gotta be from the Zx2 headphones out. Gonna make some edits

May 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #11,501 of 14,755
  Battery  run-time has nothing to do with SQ ... is the caps and solder, board used as @Whitigir said, ZX100 is the evolution of ZX1, so is better than you AVG a10/A20 in terms of SQ

I wasnt' talking about SQ, I was talking about battery run time for digital out... besides it does matter for SQ because if there is no power there is no sound
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #11,502 of 14,755

I meant OTG for Walkman :D. Do never use those cheaper cables, because they are trash

May 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #11,503 of 14,755

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the Mojo yet. It's an awesome little DAC/Amp. 

May 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #11,505 of 14,755
I wasnt' talking about SQ, I was talking about battery run time for digital out... besides it does matter for SQ because if there is no power there is no sound
biggrin.gif

LOL true or if voltage to the amp is too low also matters
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back