SONY NW-ZX2
May 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #11,521 of 14,755

What I hate about forums are the self-appointed policemen who believe they have some right to dictate the terms upon which others can or cannot express their opinion.

The experience of those who have researched a product well and chosen not to own it is at least as valid as that of owners of the product, some of whom will be unwilling to acknowledge its weaknesses.

From the posting guidelines...

May 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #11,522 of 14,755
That's what I hate about forums. You don't own a ZX2 but have the balls to comment repeatedly how the ZX2 is not the best DAP available in all respects and other members praise your knowledge and input. If you want to comment, positively or negatively about a product, buy it, and then you can give your opinion. You may have tons of experience and be an expert,but you don't own the product so you shouldn't have an opinion about it let alone try to influence others one way or the other.

Dude, you really don't get how this community works and I suggest you step back a little mate. There was nothing at all wrong with my post, this is a community where we are free to respectfully, and substantively express differing viewpoints. Threads aren't simply meant as love-ins for those who agree with each other. I have been in this community for years, sometimes I have made a fool of myself, sometimes I have over-stepped my bounds and been tactless, and even at times abrasive. I regret when that happens and I am willing to admit this publically, and I try to take responsibility for being an ass and I apologize. In this case, I did nothing wrong to irk or offend you so I'm not sure why you had to get up in my face like Peridot suggested being a community cop. You could have said you disagreed with me without acting like that. If you just want to hear and read opinions that match yours you can always just PM those who agree and have a closed to debate conversation.

May 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #11,523 of 14,755
@doublea71, you are misinterpreting the guidelines considerably. I did not state anything as absolute, just as my opinion. I didn't review the product and I will suggest to you that I have learned a great deal about the ZX2 from having researched it, and read many, many posts from those who own it in recent years. I feel given that level of knowledge, my positions are factually supportable and thus admissible in this thread as they are reasonable and balanced, which is in keeping with the spirit of the guidelines when you interpret them as they were meant to be interpreted, which is to allow reasonable discussion.

May 7, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #11,524 of 14,755
That's what I hate about forums. You don't own a ZX2 but have the balls to comment repeatedly how the ZX2 is not the best DAP available in all respects and other members praise your knowledge and input. If you want to comment, positively or negatively about a product, buy it, and then you can give your opinion. You may have tons of experience and be an expert,but you don't own the product so you shouldn't have an opinion about it let alone try to influence others one way or the other.

Take a breath bro. It's only a music player. I'm not sure I'd Sonic Defender heard the zx2 or not, but if you do enough research you can easily surmise the same thing. He doesn't need to own the device, just be familiar with it. I did own the zx2, and he is right, it sounds amazing, but is underpowered. It's pretty much common knowledge that the zx2 is underpowered. He didn't state anything so terrible, only truth.

Would be better for people to see both sides of the argument instead of just comments about love. You seemed more focused on him saying it's not the best dap than with his other half of his statement about it having a great sound signature.

At the end of the day, you have a device you love, enjoy it brother.

I know that if I was interested in making a purchase and only read praise, made that purchase and was extremely disappointed because the zx2, although sounding great, is underpowered and it would require an external amp, I'd be upset.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue or play moderator, I just want to keep the peace

May 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #11,525 of 14,755
  @doublea71, you are misinterpreting the guidelines considerably. I did not state anything as absolute, just as my opinion. I didn't review the product and I will suggest to you that I have learned a great deal about the ZX2 from having researched it, and read many, many posts from those who own it in recent years. I feel given that level of knowledge, my positions are factually supportable and thus admissible in this thread as they are reasonable and balanced, which is in keeping with the spirit of the guidelines when you interpret them as they were meant to be interpreted, which is to allow reasonable discussion.

Okay, mate. I'll definitely seek out your advice in the future about gear you've never used. I didn't realize 2nd-hand knowledge is just as valuable as 1st.

May 7, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #11,526 of 14,755
Help. I recently purchased a Zx2 from KR and I don't understand why so many of my songs are not playing and I get the cannot play song error.

All these songs work fine on my computer, laptop, and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Almosr all the flac songs that are over 45mb in size just won't play.

I have tried to reset the player many times, also reloaded the files many many time.

Should I sell the player? It sounds so much better than my z3 compact but I am losing so many songs

May 7, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #11,527 of 14,755
I get where you guys are coming from, but it's not like what he posted isn't true. A good portion of people I've talked with have the same issue with Sony daps. I've owned both zx1 and zx2, both were great, amazing sound, but underpowered.

May 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #11,528 of 14,755

Okay, mate. I'll definitely seek out your advice in the future about gear you've never used. I didn't realize 2nd-hand knowledge is just as valuable as 1st.

I wasn't giving advice, I was just doing what is commonly done in this community, discussed my perspective of the ZX2. I have never had lung cancer, but I feel I could advise somebody that smoking seems to be a cause. I leave it to the intelligence of the reader to make what they will of my comments. And you still mis-interpreted the guidelines. Feel free to flag my post with the moderators and see if they agree that I violated the guidelines.

May 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #11,529 of 14,755
  I wasn't giving advice, I was just doing what is commonly done in this community, discussed my perspective of the ZX2. I have never had lung cancer, but I feel I could advise somebody that smoking seems to be a cause. I leave it to the intelligence of the reader to make what they will of my comments. And you still mis-interpreted the guidelines. Feel free to flag my post with the moderators and see if they agree that I violated the guidelines.

Features and measurements are one thing, but the sound is not something a non-user/owner should comment on imo. We'll find out eventually - I flagged post #11472 to see what they say. If I am interpreting the guidelines wrong, I stand corrected. Cheers!

May 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #11,530 of 14,755
Help. I recently purchased a Zx2 from KR and I don't understand why so many of my songs are not playing and I get the cannot play song error.

All these songs work fine on my computer, laptop, and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Almosr all the flac songs that are over 45mb in size just won't play.

I have tried to reset the player many times, also reloaded the files many many time.

Should I sell the player? It sounds so much better than my z3 compact but I am losing so many songs

That is strange ? Make sure these files are stereos and not 5.1 or 7.1 channels ?

May 7, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #11,531 of 14,755
Wow. Talk about overreaction. Lots of well respected people give opinions on sound quality of products without owning them. They're called professional reviewers. Take a chill pill people.

May 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #11,532 of 14,755
for what iread about @Sonic Defender post HE WAS REFERRING to the ability to drive  some more power hungry cans f.e 40-ohm or 70-ohm ones.... just that and i agree with him even my ZX100 has the same 15mW output power and i can attest it cannot drive hungry cans well without an amp

May 7, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #11,534 of 14,755
for what iread about @Sonic Defender
 post HE WAS REFERRING to the ability to drive  some more power hungry cans f.e 40-ohm or 70-ohm ones.... just that and i agree with him even my ZX100 has the same 15mW output power and i can attest it cannot drive hungry cans well without an amp

Ok, I want to clarify this. The ZX2 does really lack power, however, it is not at the level of "un-acceptable" when paired with it flagship headphones, the Sony Z7. Not at all, and in fact I used Zx2 to tune and modify my Z7, which has been proven enough by other members to have brough serious improvements into it. So, really, it is not that bad that you can not find any full size the Zx2 can not drive. For example, Z7, TH900, and other Fostex for sure.

Now, Zx2 will be lacking that power and finesses to drive these headphones out of it single ended connection, but with it TRRS out, it is what I had been using, and if you asked me, would I use the Zx2 to purely drive my Z7 ? Yes, I would. It doesn't drive the Z7 into the uncomfortable level of listening, but loud enough to satisfy, and still remain the level of finesses and quality of a high-end player.

Many people make it out to be like a horrible "deal-breaker" but it is not....the Zx2 sacrifice this for the untouchable battery life. I dare you to find another DAP on the market for this quality sound and battery life. On top of that, the Zx2 does very well with 3rd party apps from Google stores, including tidal and Spotify for high quality streams, and that is a big plus

Remember, people, everything has it pros/cons. You just need to work around it. Certainly, the Zx2 won't have the power to drive those like of Hd800 to it utmost finesse......but try to buy anything more sensitive like Z7, 70 ohms 108 Db/mW for example. Do use TRRS whenever possible, and who is to say it doesn't bring high quality music ? I have full confidence showing off my Zx2 + TRRS silver cables + modified Z7, and will give people a listening bliss of which can last for almost a week without charging. Try challenge it ?

Picture for references . Battery life, sound quality, together with the portability of these 2 are unmatched by anything on the market ATM.

May 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #11,535 of 14,755
That's a good post bro. I mostly agree, however I would have gladly sacrificed some battery life for a little more power. I know that's not for everyone, but for me I don't need more than 8 hours of battery life to be happy. I have access to power outlets everywhere, and if not I have a battery bank. I prefer carrying the battery bank for when I need extended battery life, it's much better than carrying an external amp. I do agree it drives the Fostex Th900 to acceptable levels, but with more power I would have had a bit more bass, which would have made me smile. I would have gladly purchased another zx2 and called it a day. I absolutely loved my zx2, even with the modest power output, it did sound that good. Loved the UI as well. Great dap, but not perfect. Like you said, you have to make compromises. Sony chose power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back