SONY NW-ZX2
May 3, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #11,477 of 14,755
Just got an email from Moon Audio. Looks like my silver dragons with the TRRS connector is on the way. Looking at the moon audio site, it looks like the 3.5mm TRRS option works for both the ZX2 and the 901.

May 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #11,483 of 14,755
(Edit out)

lets say if we can compare the quality of sound between sony ZX2 and Fiio X7 and Onkyo DP-X1 :)

Personally, if I'd have an iem that wasn't sensitive to hissing and noises, while still being properly driven by the ZX2 without the need of an amp stack, I'd be perfectly content with only the ZX2. Because it sounds great if you like your bass warmth, and the other 2 daps can only dream to hope to reach half the battery stamina of the Sony. 

But in my case, being mad in love with the Empire Zeus, it's the dap that has to bow down to the Zeus' requirements or bust!

May 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #11,484 of 14,755

thank you for advice. I cannot try them in the shop, there is no shop like this in Switzerland yet. Only can order online.

You wouldn't live afar from Lausane by chance now would you? I visit my sister there from time to time. Was there 2 weeks ago, could've brought my ZX2 and DP-X1 for your audition. Sadly only had the X7 for 10d review.

May 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #11,485 of 14,755
  I've just put my zx2 up in the classifieds (Jpn version / within EU only; shipped from Belgium)

Personally, if I'd have an iem that wasn't sensitive to hissing and noises, while still being properly driven by the ZX2 without the need of an amp stack, I'd be perfectly content with only the ZX2. Because it sounds great if you like your bass warmth, and the other 2 daps can only dream to hope to reach half the battery stamina of the Sony. 

But in my case, being mad in love with the Empire Zeus, it's the dap that has to bow down to the Zeus' requirements or bust!

why you are selling it then? I cannot find what DAC chipsets are inside of ZX2?

May 3, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #11,487 of 14,755

It uses Sony own S-master chip set which is also a part of the whole DSEE-HX chip set, and amplified by Sony own class D design, which is also a part of the S-master chain. In short, it doesn't use any DAC....it uses Sony special Design

May 3, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #11,489 of 14,755

ZX2 too hissy with my Empire Zeus. That's why I keep my Cowon Plenue D for ultra mobility and battery on the go; and the Onkyo DP-X1 for more astute sessions

May 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #11,490 of 14,755
  lets say if we can compare the quality of sound between sony ZX2 and Fiio X7 and Onkyo DP-X1 :)

If you are mainly a CIEM user, I highly suggest to stick with the ZX2 over the Fiio X7 with a stock amp.  However, if you need a more driving power, I will get the X7; however,  it isn't a best choice sound wise.  I would suggest you to get the QP1R to drive headphones such as Senneheiser HD-800 or similar difficult phones.  I was very fortunate to have the Lotoo Paw Gold here for a short audition and it was the best sounding device for both CIEM and harder to drive phones in term of DAP period.  The Paw Gold is a little short on feature list but it so so excellent in term of headphone output capacity.  Here's my little ranking:

JH13pro:  Paw Gold > ZX2 > QP1R > X7 = ZX1

HD800:  Paw Gold > QP1R > X7 > ZX2 > ZX1

Whitgir mod Z7:  Paw Gold > QP1R > X7 = ZX2 > ZX1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back