SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #10,351 of 14,755
Ok thanks. Will play around. Somehow the Poweramp α doesn't sound as good as the stock player. This is for me, at least. 

well, i only enjoyed it with slow sampling but it gave me around 10 hours, i imagine with dsee on, it will reach 8 hours or less.

I am back to stock.

Iam still annoyed trying to find the songs not scanned by stock player though, while scanned by others, if anyone has an idea ..

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,352 of 14,755
well, i only enjoyed it with slow sampling but it gave me around 10 hours, i imagine with dsee on, it will reach 8 hours or less.

I am back to stock.

Iam still annoyed trying to find the songs not scanned by stock player though, while scanned by others, if anyone has an idea ..

Yup, solid proof of improved quality :D

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #10,353 of 14,755
Another 7 hour of continuous listen to SE846 with TRRS.3 days in a row now.I think i'll skip going to work for Monday 
redface.gif
.Hopefully my ears won't develop any long lasting problem...

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #10,355 of 14,755
Lol, nah, it only develope a taste for real high-end quality, and the real reason why you paid for zx2

You are right.We are getting truly high end performance as long as we pair it carefully,that means no high impedance cans,no iems with non detachable cables(looking at you ie800).We are also getting what other high end daps don't get.Tremendous battery life and fast,easy to navigate ui thanks to android 4.2 and a build of great quality that works without hitches unlike your Onkyo with the loose jack and bad ui or QP1r with unresponsive scroll wheel.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #10,356 of 14,755
  ... without hitches unlike your Onkyo with the loose jack ...

It didn't stay loose for long in Whitigir's hands ... I hope its new owner appreciates the design enhancements 
smile_phones.gif

In other DIY news, today I managed to repair the USB port on my Samsung S3 so I'm back in business with my FiiO E18 and can procrastinate further over my choice of DAP.

Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse on a ZX2, I probably will go with the DP-X1.

If I wait a bit longer perhaps Onkyo will learn how to fix jack sockets all by themselves 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #10,357 of 14,755

It didn't stay loose for long in Whitigir's hands ... I hope its new owner appreciates the design enhancements 
smile_phones.gif

In other DIY news, today I managed to repair the USB port on my Samsung S3 so I'm back in business with my FiiO E18 and can procrastinate further over my choice of DAP.

Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse on a ZX2, I probably will go with the DP-X1.

If I wait a bit longer perhaps Onkyo will learn how to fix jack sockets all by themselves 
tongue.gif

I know
biggrin.gif
.But he would void his warranty and pray nothing else breaks or gets loose down the road.Besides not everyone is DIY guy(looking at the mirror).

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #10,358 of 14,755
I know:D .But he would void his warranty and pray nothing else breaks or gets loose down the road.Besides not everyone is DIY guy(looking at the mirror).

Nah, warranty won't be voided, there will not be any evidence to refuse the warranty work. Just before the warranty unit is sent in, remove the acrylic. It is fairly simple, just use a very hard needle, a nipper give it a nice cut, and the acrylic will crack and break away from the metal surfaces. There won't be any scratch if you had it done correctly. :wink:

Without the acrylic filled gaps, the chance to get it warranty works is 9/10...with it...probably 2/10 lol...what chances would you rather ?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #10,359 of 14,755
Ok then.You are the one who had it and know best.I read how capable it is in balanced mode and has a slightly bigger soundstage and is a bit more clear than ZX2,not counting fun factor here.Hopefuly the production units work as intended and fix the ui issues that seem to plague it at the moment
smile.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #10,360 of 14,755
Ok then.You are the one who had it and know best.I read how capable it is in balanced mode and has a slightly bigger soundstage and is a bit more clear than ZX2,not counting fun factor here.Hopefuly the production units work as intended and fix the ui issues that seem to plague it at the moment:smile: .

No, in balanced mode ? DP-X1 is obviously better than Zx2 in both soundstage and clarity, so you can also count in better layering and separations. What it really lacked was "micro-dynamic details of tonal body (too short)" the tonal balances were not as satisfying as ZX2 especially toward lower and mid spectrum. I put it fairly simple so people can see what I meant.

Zx2 = more musical expressions and emotions, where as DP-X1 is all about details and separation. Ofcourse, it would pair well with warmer headphones and gears, but the missing "micro-dynamic energies within the tonal body" will forever be lost regardless of gears.

Now to put it more indepth: the micro-dynamic details is the transient details, the bridges from the beginning of the chord or the end of it, then it kept on resonating (the engineer and artist will filters these out) and compose, mixed them onto the soundstrack the way the music, lyrics, singer, vocal, instruments, echo, reverb, effects, all of those can best describe and express the emotions of the composed song....in some tracks the bass even let distorted a bit as well...mostly to express the grimmy and sad feeling.

That was why I said Zx2 breathes the emotions into my ears, while DP-X1...things gets picked a part. I know some people wouldn't take this the way that I do, but it is most easy to reproduce music in details, and layering....it is mostly impossible to blend those 2 with transient and micro-dynamic details of a tonal body. It is not only a thick tonal body, but the variations of transient energies....

You know ? Take violin for example, real life violin gives you the feeling of the meaning behind it tonal and plays....but when edited and composed, most of it got filtered out....still left enough to express itself, but that is the part. The best way to observe this ? Get a high-res record of violin, pure violin, and degrade it to MP3 128kbps....you will mostly feel no emotion at all, where as in high-resolutions and (quality) Zx2 for example, you feel every strings and plays :D

Enough rant....but hey, it is all about preferences. I prefer emotions, expressions, and soul in my music...some people love layering, tightening, controls, and picking things a part like day and night or so. Both are good, but it rely heavily on preferences. I picked Zx2 because I main classical, pops, ballads, EDM..

Final conclusion ? Clarity, control, and layering beast = Onkyo ....emotions, expressions, beautiful micro-dynamic of tonal body and energies = Zx2 .....and there are compromises as said above...pick your poison . The best about Onkyo DP-X1 is the eargasm and splashy trebles and it organic details of brass and metal housing instruments, very sparkling, detailed, but not harsh or piercing :D

*also* the main different between live performance and recorded tracks = studio editing ....what is the point of listening to a record just to simply picking things a part and not enjoying it :wink:....mwah want to attend live-performance for the raw energies and excitements of it

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #10,361 of 14,755
^ I'm the opposite, love live shows, but enjoy the albums more for listening, concerts are a social experience driven by music. I wish I knew somebody with a ZX2 to listen to for comparison. I find the DP-X1 has plenty of tonality. Still, without a ZX2 on hand I can't tell where things differ. I can't imagine being able to detect differences in individual chords while listening to music, just too much information to integrate and you would almost have to be able to not process competing information to really get so hyper-focused on deep nuances. I am sure some people have more ability to do this type of dynamic listening filtering, like you Witigir, certainly not an are where I claim ability.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #10,362 of 14,755
  You are right.We are getting truly high end performance as long as we pair it carefully,that means no high impedance cans,no iems with non detachable cables(looking at you ie800).We are also getting what other high end daps don't get.Tremendous battery life and fast,easy to navigate ui thanks to android 4.2 and a build of great quality that works without hitches unlike your Onkyo with the loose jack and bad ui or QP1r with unresponsive scroll wheel.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the Onkyo. The UI is quite good overall, and I've owned iPods and a Sony A17. The loose jack has yet to be proven as an actual risk. We have a few samples that can't be ignored, but since those initial few reports with more and more DP-X1 owners coming onboard we have yet to hear new reports of jack failures. Suffice it to say that the ZX2 is an amazing DAP that will be very difficult to beat when you take the totality of design, sound signature, and build quality into account. That said, the DP-X1 is pretty impressive in it's own right and should not be scoffed at so quickly due to a few issues.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #10,363 of 14,755
  You're making a lot of assumptions about the Onkyo. The UI is quite good overall, and I've owned iPods and a Sony A17. The loose jack has yet to be proven as an actual risk. We have a few samples that can't be ignored, but since those initial few reports with more and more DP-X1 owners coming onboard we have yet to hear new reports of jack failures. Suffice it to say that the ZX2 is an amazing DAP that will be very difficult to beat when you take the totality of design, sound signature, and build quality into account. That said, the DP-X1 is pretty impressive in it's own right and should not be scoffed at so quickly due to a few issues.

Exactly...

I'm listening to the ZX2 right now and can't wait to get the DP-X1. To me music/music gear...headphones, DAP/DAC's etc. is like food. You have a general idea of what you like and you're always trying something new because that's what living is about,...a series of experiences. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #10,364 of 14,755

I am very careful about what i post exactly to avoid making assumptions especially about products i don't own.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/4080#post_12273470
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/4095#post_12274013
The playlist is deal breaker

He found it using Media go.Ok as long as they include folder browzing all is good.Hadn't read the last 10 pages when i posted about the ui,assumed that by page 270+ members knew how to operate the ui.Live and learn i guess although my statement stood when i wrote it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #10,365 of 14,755
  I am very careful about what i post exactly to avoid making assumptions especially about products i don't own.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/4080#post_12273470
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/4095#post_12274013
The playlist is deal breaker

I do think I over-reached a little in my response to your post, and you have my apology for that. I would agree, I read many of your posts it seems and yes I find you do a great job trying to be balanced. That  said, playlists are not a UI, they are a part of it, and one that some users would never use. I haven't had time to interact with the playlist feature so I have no opinion on it yet. I need to confirm this, but the DP-X1 supports M3U lists I thought so perhaps existing playlists can be brought in somehow? Anyway, my apology if I seemed a little reactionary to your post. I was actually coming back here to amend it when I saw your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back