SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 20, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #10,231 of 14,755
What do you mean podcast ? Like some type of advertisements ?

To those who are curious about how DP-x1 sounds from my primary impressions ? It is on the same level of Zx2, but with different sound signature, and I do think both of them are fantastic quality.

Dp-X1 is wider and more expansive soundstage, same spherical stage as Zx2, and very 3D dimensional as well. Tonality is less thick, however bass is more articulated, faster, still just as deep. More neutral, flat, detailed, sparkling trebles and of great energies+ Trebles resolutions. However string instruments are not as organic or realistic as Zx2

Zx2 is slightly narrower in soundstage and expansive, spherical staging, very 3D dimensional and is probably a little better than Dp-x1 but that is pushing it...it is not noticable. Tonality is thicker, bass lover will love it here, still articulated, but thicker and brings in more impacts and feelings than DP-x1, warmer, more musical over-all compare to DP-x1. String instruments is very organic and is very realistic. It gets realistic in drums, and strings, and DP-x1 gets more realistic on Brass and trebles hits lol....

I am generally very picky at soundstage, and Mojo while offering the same musicality, fun, more organic in drum and brass than DP-x1, it had a weirder soundstage and it was the main point where I turned it down vs Zx2. However, soundstage in DP-x1 is even better than Zx2 in TRRS connections.

So...what is your taste ? Realism on Drum+guitars, violin ? Musicality and flows ? Zx2....or you want more articulated bass, still very deep dive, articulated, but more realism on cymbals, metallic housing drum sets, hit-hat, splashy trebles and details ?

I can't even say which is better than which lol....

This is only first impressions, I need more time for DP-x1 review and comparison to Zx2 later.

Considering your ZX2 has been burnt-in considerably. Give it DP-X1 atleast 150 hours. Sabre dac in my old R10 took over 300 hours to fully reach potential ...

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #10,232 of 14,755
To those who are curious about how DP-x1 sounds from my primary impressions ? It is on the same level of Zx2, but with different sound signature, and I do think both of them are fantastic quality.

Dp-X1 is wider and more expansive soundstage, same spherical stage as Zx2, and very 3D dimensional as well. Tonality is less thick, however bass is more articulated, faster, still just as deep. More neutral, flat, detailed, sparkling trebles and of great energies+ Trebles resolutions. However string instruments are not as organic or realistic as Zx2

Zx2 is slightly narrower in soundstage and expansive, spherical staging, very 3D dimensional and is probably a little better than Dp-x1 but that is pushing it...it is not noticable. Tonality is thicker, bass lover will love it here, still articulated, but thicker and brings in more impacts and feelings than DP-x1, warmer, more musical over-all compare to DP-x1. String instruments is very organic and is very realistic. It gets realistic in drums, and strings, and DP-x1 gets more realistic on Brass and trebles hits lol....

I am generally very picky at soundstage, and Mojo while offering the same musicality, fun, more organic in drum and brass than DP-x1, it had a weirder soundstage and it was the main point where I turned it down vs Zx2. However, soundstage in DP-x1 is even better than Zx2 in TRRS connections.

So...what is your taste ? Realism on Drum+guitars, violin ? Musicality and flows ? Zx2....or you want more articulated bass, still very deep dive, articulated, but more realism on cymbals, metallic housing drum sets, hit-hat, splashy trebles and details ?

I can't even say which is better than which lol....

This is only first impressions, I need more time for DP-x1 review and comparison to Zx2 later.

Well said, I agree with you on all points, while I do miss the organic feel and musicality, I think the DP-X1 will pair well with warmer headphones bringing life to their "weak" points (DP-X1 + NightHawk is *very* musical!) on the other hand ZX2 will pair well with neutral headphones / IEM. One thing to consider too, is that the DP-X1 has 5 to 10 times more power (150mW in balanced mode), and it also seems to drive headphones with more authority.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #10,233 of 14,755

Well said, I agree with you on all points, while I do miss the organic feel and musicality, I think the DP-X1 will pair well with warmer headphones bringing life to their "weak" points (DP-X1 + NightHawk is *very* musical!) on the other hand ZX2 will pair well with neutral headphones / IEM. One thing to consider too, is that the DP-X1 has 5 to 10 times more power (150mW in balanced mode), and it also seems to drive headphones with more authority.

Another thing of note is that ZX2 has a MUCH MUCH higher noise floor than the DP-X1 despite the lower output power.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #10,234 of 14,755

Yeah, I need to pair it with Z7 to see how well it would do here :D.
Considering your ZX2 has been burnt-in considerably. Give it DP-X1 atleast 150 hours. Sabre dac in my old R10 took over 300 hours to fully reach potential ...

Not sure if solid state does really burn-in :D. My brain needs burn-in though before I can put in some review on DP-X1
Another thing of note is that ZX2 has a MUCH MUCH higher noise floor than the DP-X1 despite the lower output power.

Defintely.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #10,235 of 14,755
after 2-3 days with poweramp, I went back and i tried again Gonemad/onkyo players ,and i like poweramp better

will definitely be buying the poweramp alpha version once it is up for grabs

i am still not sure how much difference the DSEE effect has, but i leave it on anyway

i haven't heard the stock player since 2015 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #10,236 of 14,755
after 2-3 days with poweramp, I went back and i tried again Gonemad/onkyo players ,and i like poweramp better

will definitely be buying the poweramp alpha version once it is up for grabs

i am still not sure how much difference the DSEE effect has, but i leave it on anyway

i haven't heard the stock player since 2015 :p

Yeah :p . It is that good isn't it :D

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10,238 of 14,755

Not sure if solid state does really burn-in 
biggrin.gif
. My brain needs burn-in though before I can put in some review on DP-X1

Every device needs considerate burnt-in time for resistors, capacitors to reach their stability. Are you denying that ZX2 doesn't need burnt-in for those OS-CON? I have burnt-in ZX2 for too long. When ZX2 was about 100 hours, it sounded even worse than R10..
Also DP-X1 has 3 settings for Clock and 3 settings Digital Filter. Wonder if you have tried all of them for this comparison. For someone who used to have ZX2, this device ways surpasses in SQ. But Convenience still goes to ZX2 

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #10,240 of 14,755
Zx2 needed burn-in for sure, that is because they use OS-Con Capacitors and super-capacitors. I am not so sure about these little solid capacitors blocks and transistors to need burn-in ? Perhap we shall see

Some people who got it before November told me that this device needs burnt-in and in beginning it didn't really sound that good. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #10,241 of 14,755
5th day of owning the ZX2, I admit that I have not listened to it with my IEMs. Just using it to play on my car's speakers via aux. Guess that's more than enough of 'burn-in' for the ZX2. Time for some good listening! 

ps: bought Poweramp on the very first day since its cheap, so i'll listen to it straight without touching the default music player app.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #10,242 of 14,755
ps: bought Poweramp on the very first day since its cheap, so i'll listen to it straight without touching the default music player app.

you need the new alpha version that's free to download from a link that @Whitigir  shared here 3-4 pages ago

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #10,243 of 14,755
My verdict so far:
1) I'll stick with stock player. Sounds nice to me idk why.
2) ZX2 is fantastic!
3) Can't wait to go TRRS :p

Quote:

you need the new alpha version that's free to download from a link that @Whitigir  shared here 3-4 pages ago

Yup, that's the one I downloaded and there's a little alpha logo at the bottom left of the app icon. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #10,244 of 14,755
Υes,Trrrs is worth the money,more detail,blacker backround,cleaner sound,better placement of instruments.All very subtle though.Good quality  silver cable from Lavricables,thanks to Whitigir for suggesting it.

On a side note Σωτηράκι δεν κοιμήθηκες ακόμα,δεν δουλεύεις αύριο?

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10,245 of 14,755
Υes,Trrrs is worth the money,more detail,blacker backround,cleaner sound,better placement of instruments.All very subtle though.Good quality  silver cable from Lavricables,thanks to Whitigir for suggesting it.

On a side note Σωτηράκι δεν κοιμήθηκες ακόμα,δεν δουλεύεις αύριο?

Oh you are totally welcome :D. Since I have DP-x1 here, it is crazy that Onkyo is challenging both designs by Sony and A&K by implementing Active Controlled Grounds and Balanced modes. Here is the effects and improvements that Onkyo confirmed

ACG drive gives greater stability: increased S/N ratio; greater spatial dimensionality, and clean sound; greater deliniation for lower frequencies in Hi-Res audio, and overall robust and taut sound.
BTL drive supplies increased power.

So rest assure that Zx2 separate controlled ground provides improvements :D...damn, I fought for this for a while, good thing Onkyo confirmed it. Now you can see why I am obsessed with zx2 TRRS ? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back