SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #9,841 of 14,755
So, that Onkyo HF Player is a MUST for the ZX-2?

Someone posted some measurements of various android players in the Fiio x7 thread. The Onkyo was rolled off at the highs. Poweramp was even worse. The flattest was the stock Fiio player. Just saying. Hibyplayer was flat....not sure if you can listen to hidef with that though. Not sure what the measurements for UAPP are.
I like the stock player on the ZX1 if that means anything to anyone.

Oh, and Neutron player was flat as well.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #9,842 of 14,755
Onkyo HF Player App is now confirmed to be able to playback high-resolution and DSD in the free version....I knew it...otherwise how could it sound better than the stock ZX2 apps ? The paid version can be used to output high-refs to Mojo...yayyyy. More testing for Mojo mwahahaha....

Paid 8.74$ and nada...android on zx2 was unable to play 24/96 toward Mojo...only stock player does.

Yeah, I've run into this with a ZX1 (same UI, right?).  I understand it's an Android restriction, not the Sony digital out hardware.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #9,843 of 14,755
So my ultimate Resolution :

Go to setting, and disable the Sound-enhancement app. Make sure you use the app before disabling it like ticking DSEE HX and whatever else. Disable it for the best ultimate listening experience, and the truest form of quality from ZX2.

Enjoy guys. Took me 10 months to figure all of this out roflmao. Can't blame me though. I used it with the enhancement app disabled for months, and only recently got back to it a few months ago, did not imedietly notice any big differences until I sat down recently and started to analyze it as I could observe some unsatisfying feelings

Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter. Actually never tick Dynamic Normalizer.
2/ go to setting, then apps
3/ swipe left to the end for the tab "all"
4/ scroll down and look for "sound enhancement" app. Select it, disable
5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place
biggrin.gif

1/ use TRRS connection whenever possible
2/ have to disable "sound enhancement" apps

Please sticky, if someone can
smily_headphones1.gif

Question: So with the Onkyo player I can just ignore your ultimate resolution? :p

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #9,844 of 14,755
Question: So with the Onkyo player I can just ignore your ultimate resolution? :p

Actually, no...just as long as sound adjustment app can bring into effects on the Onkyo player, you will have the gimped off sound from the app itself that will also affecting the Onkyo player. So in a sense.

1/disable the sound adjustment app, and make sure that it is disabled
2/use Onkyo player or stock player or Gonemad player...all 3 works beautifully

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #9,845 of 14,755
Someone posted some measurements of various android players in the Fiio x7 thread. The Onkyo was rolled off at the highs. Poweramp was even worse. The flattest was the stock Fiio player. Just saying. Hibyplayer was flat....not sure if you can listen to hidef with that though. Not sure what the measurements for UAPP are.

Thanks for the heads-up! Will definitely look it up. I'm getting my ZX-2 next week and really excited about it. Been a silent reader on this thread and finally decided to create an account.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #9,846 of 14,755
Thanks for the heads-up! Will definitely look it up. I'm getting my ZX-2 next week and really excited about it. Been a silent reader on this thread and finally decided to create an account.

I always thought different media players sounded better than others. I always didn't like Poweramp much, but thought it might have been the gui playing with my head. Those measurements are kinda confirming my suspicions...

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #9,847 of 14,755
So, it has been a year since ZX2 was launched. Not a single firmware update :frowning2: I am not advocating frequent firmware updates, but I doubt that ZX2 is perfect, so it does not require any further updates.

I am really surprised also to hear the reaction to my posts regarding stream services on ZX2. There was no intent to use streamed music as a main source, but ability to listen to new music on fly seems to be valuable to me. I do not even remember how many times I found new great music just listening to iTunes radio. I think that quickly try suggested album is a great thing, so that if you like the music you can get hi-res version of it to enjoy full quality of playback...

TIDAL does not work in my country, probably Qobuz can, but what is the point if I have paid subscription for Apple Music, which is much bigger than anything else? It is just for trying music, not really listening.. I do not understand why Sony stuck to 4.2.2 version, whereas obviously ZX2 can be upgraded to more modern versions of Android..

iPhone is not an option, since I do not like sound quality of output, even with Angies attached.

Rumors are that Apple will be launching hi res streaming this year, it is a shame if ZX2 still will not be capable of complying to outdated 4.3 version of Android.

Just my 2 cents. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #9,848 of 14,755
I always thought different media players sounded better than others. I always didn't like Poweramp much, but thought it might have been the gui playing with my head. Those measurements are kinda confirming my suspicions...

No, you are correct, different players app has different sounds...errggg...not exactly different sound, but some sounds better than others. It depends on the devices also. But it seems you are a technical number and science kind of fellow, I will just leave it here that I am in agreement with you regarding the different app. I like Onkyo HF player and then Gonemad player on zx2. Not much of a stock app guy

Onkyo HF player purchased version can also up convert to DSD feeding the mojo from my note 4, or raw 24/96 to mojo...which is nice :D. Time to get some serious analyzing

Btw, before all the apps can show it colors and natures, I recommend you to at least explore TRRS option from the Zx2

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #9,849 of 14,755
So, it has been a year since ZX2 was launched. Not a single firmware update :frowning2: I am not advocating frequent firmware updates, but I doubt that ZX2 is perfect, so it does not require any further updates.

I am really surprised also to hear the reaction to my posts regarding stream services on ZX2. There was no intent to use streamed music as a main source, but ability to listen to new music on fly seems to be valuable to me. I do not even remember how many times I found new great music just listening to iTunes radio. I think that quickly try suggested album is a great thing, so that if you like the music you can get hi-res version of it to enjoy full quality of playback...

TIDAL does not work in my country, probably Qobuz can, but what is the point if I have paid subscription for Apple Music, which is much bigger than anything else? It is just for trying music, not really listening.. I do not understand why Sony stuck to 4.2.2 version, whereas obviously ZX2 can be upgraded to more modern versions of Android..

iPhone is not an option, since I do not like sound quality of output, even with Angies attached.

Rumors are that Apple will be launching hi res streaming this year, it is a shame if ZX2 still will not be capable of complying to outdated 4.3 version of Android.

Just my 2 cents. 

I agree with you, and it seems zx2 really need a firmware update....however, smartphone with Mojo ? Why not ? It is damn good

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #9,851 of 14,755
No, you are correct, different players app has different sounds...errggg...not exactly different sound, but some sounds better than others. It depends on the devices also. But it seems you are a technical number and science kind of fellow, I will just leave it here that I am in agreement with you regarding the different app. I like Onkyo HF player and then Gonemad player on zx2. Not much of a stock app guy

Onkyo HF player purchased version can also up convert to DSD feeding the mojo from my note 4, or raw 24/96 to mojo...which is nice :D. Time to get some serious analyzing

Btw, before all the apps can show it colors and natures, I recommend you to at least explore TRRS option from the Zx2

Yeah, it's weird, digital is digital is digital. Why would one app play it better than others? And when I say "better " I mean uncoloured.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #9,853 of 14,755
Algorithm and the way the software decode it ? I don't know...m not a software engineer

Obviously you're right, but digital audio is an all or nothing proposition. It should be either perfect or , if it's not, then it's distortion. I would've thought it would be simple to play audio flatly from a software point of view. I'm no software engineer either (obviously).

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #9,855 of 14,755
What about from a hardware point of view? They do play an important role in reproducing music/sound signatures etc.

Of course. That's really the holy grail for DAC, amp, and speaker/ headphone design. A perfectly flat frequency response. That's high fidelity. It means you're not introducing frequency boosts or dips to what you're listening to. That is how the recording is meant to be heard.
But having said all that, I'd still rather listen to old crackly vinyl than a brand new cd. But that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back