i should' ve bought these headphone long time ago

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #9,558 of 14,755

I stopped hearing noticable changes after 1 week
biggrin.gif
then I gave up analyzing but only enjoying

I think i put about 8 hours and i still got then on
o2smile.gif
 i should' ve bought these headphone long time ago

MDR-Z7 is a great pair of headphones indeed. Excellent sq and so comfortable too.
Can the ZX2 alone drive it too a good level?
Btw, if you ever get the chance you should try them balanced (stock balanced cable already comes with it)
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #9,559 of 14,755
MDR-Z7 is a great pair of headphones indeed. Excellent sq and so comfortable too.
Can the ZX2 alone drive it too a good level?
Btw, if you ever get the chance you should try them balanced (stock balanced cable already comes with it) :)

Honestly, Z7 with stock TRS on ZX2 is a bit muddy and boomy, still quiet enjoyable. Until I swapped to TRRS and silver cables zx2 drives the Z7 very well.

Today, I am rocking with Zx2+Z7. Oh ghost, that musicality and fluidity of the mid spectrum, the punchy and slamming bass body, the soundstage :D. I had been with th900 for the last week. Just right immediately listening back on to Z7, and I think th900 is a little sterile compare to Z7 lol. Anyways, the details and the bass line on the th900 is much more revealing :D. These 2 compliments each other in a way that I thought about selling my z7...but I am glad I hold it back.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #9,560 of 14,755
amazon uk , had again a 30% off the ZX2 price deal

578 pounds , not a bad price .

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #9,561 of 14,755
I originally heard the ZX2 at SoCal CanJam 2015, and really liked it. At the same show I mentioned a couple of issues I was having with my AK120 to the AK guys and they just stared at me blankly. I wish they knew that they were blowing a sale of an AK240 with their crappy customer service. 
I bought my ZX2 on Ebay at a nice savings from an authorized dealer who said it was an open box US version with full warranty. The box still had the Sony tape at both ends, so I think they advertised it that way to get around Sony's Minimum Advertised Price. Looks untouched by humans to me. 
It arrived 6 days ago and I've been running it in ever since, sitting down for a listen for a couple of hours each day. So the device is probably at 150 hours by now. 
It's completely full of high res music, mostly PCM SACD rips, but a lot of HDTracks and some nice 24/96 bin master rips. A 200GB microSD allows me to put a pretty large part of my collection on the device. 
It clearly beat the original AK120 out of the box. But now it's even better. I tried the Onkyo player, which I already use on my iPhone, but I don't find it to be night and day better than the stock Sony player.
Mostly I've been listening with the Roxanne. I know it's a bit of chocolate cake with chocolate icing, but it's certainly a fun combo for rock. 
I ordered a TRRS cable from Moon Audio for the UERM. I wish there was one for the Roxanne, I would have ordered it, too. 
So I'm happy I didn't buy the AK240. I think the ZX2 is in every way it's equal, from a better company. I'm enjoying my music on the go on this device as much as possible with my IEM's. 
At home the Hugo still has an edge for my bigger cans, but if I had to live with with just one, I'd take the Sony just for it's portability and battery life. I have a Mojo, too, but mostly it's been a paperweight, as the Sony works so well for me. Maybe if I find a good cable between it and the Sony it'll get a bit more use. 
I've read every page of this thread. Thanks for all of the encouragement. Your enthusiasm is contagious. One suggestion: I spent a lot of time looking for the 'Sound Enhancement' application before figuring out that the OP meant 'Sound Adjustment'. Frankly I don't hear a huge difference, except for volume, if all of the crap is turned off. So mostly I don't bother with killing it. 
Tidal was another great suggestion from this forum. It's great to be able to listen to so much uncompressed music over wifi. Who would have thought that was possible on such a small device!
I'm really enjoying the ZX2. Thanks again!

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #9,565 of 14,755
Hello all,

I own a Plenue M, but not satisfied with the battery life (less than 8 hours...). So I've ordered the NW-ZX2 (NW-XZ2.CEW on Amazon.fr). 

I've just found the minus for me : I have a 100 ohm headphone for now (Denon AH-GC20) and I've read that the NW-ZX2 can't drive high impedance headphones :frowning2:

Please what "can't drive" means (sorry, I'm French :wink: ) ? Will I have the same output level as a 8 ohm headphone, but it will sound weak, or more simply will I have to turn the volume to the max to hear something ?

Please help me  understand this, and tell me what I should do... :'(

Thanks,

Eric

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #9,566 of 14,755
Hello all,

I own a Plenue M, but not satisfied with the battery life (less than 8 hours...). So I've ordered the NW-ZX2 (NW-XZ2.CEW on Amazon.fr). 

I've just found the minus for me : I have a 100 ohm headphone for now (Denon AH-GC20) and I've read that the NW-ZX2 can't drive high impedance headphones :frowning2:

Please what "can't drive" means (sorry, I'm French :wink: ) ? Will I have the same output level as a 8 ohm headphone, but it will sound weak, or more simply will I have to turn the volume to the max to hear something ?

Thanks,

Eric

The biggest problem with the ZX2, and especially with the capped EU version, is that the amp is nit very powerfull so with some headphones there simply might not be power enough both to reach acceptable volume abd generally driving the phone propperly. I don't know your phone and at any rste listening volume is individual so you will just have to try it and see if it works for you abd if not return it

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #9,567 of 14,755
  Hello all,
Thanks,

Eric

You have to factor in sensitivity to get a picture of how loud they can be, apparently Denon AH-GC20 is 102db/mW.
What I do know with EU version of the ZX2, with sound adjustment disabled (so higher output), It's loud enough for the MDR-Z7 which is 70ohm and 105db/mW.

Now one thing : it's loud enough but it's not enough power to *drive* them good enough. Maybe an upgrade cable would work but not sure the Denon has a cable upgrade path it's a BT headphone natively no ? I don't know if using it with BT gets you more volume, you'll loose SQ though.

Last thing would be to get an amp for the ZX2, but that's probably not what you had in mind...

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #9,569 of 14,755

You have to factor in sensitivity to get a picture of how loud they can be, apparently Denon AH-GC20 is 102db/mW.
What I do know with EU version of the ZX2, with sound adjustment disabled (so higher output), It's loud enough for the MDR-Z7 which is 70ohm and 105db/mW.

Now one thing : it's loud enough but it's not enough power to *drive* them good enough. Maybe an upgrade cable would work but not sure the Denon has a cable upgrade path it's a BT headphone natively no ? I don't know if using it with BT gets you more volume, you'll loose SQ though.

Last thing would be to get an amp for the ZX2, but that's probably not what you had in mind...

I am French and I don't know what "drive" means... You said it could be loud enough but not enough to drive : can you explain this with other words please ?

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #9,570 of 14,755
I am French and I don't know what "drive" means... You said it could be loud enough but not enough to drive : can you explain this with other words please ?

Headphones uses A/C signals to flex the drivers in and out to create waves of vibrations, which will reproduce the sounds according to the way the A/C signals feed into it. A headphones with high impedance and low sensitivity will require stronger A/C signals, power to properly feed into it. ZX2 is not the most powerful device for high-imp+low-sensitivity. If you have bought ZX2, you can try it, if you don't like it...return it.

The point is that you have to adapt, and it is easier to find a headphones that can play well with ZX2....but it is not easy to get the ZX2 sound quality from any other devices ...obviously ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back