SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 14, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,396 of 14,773
Not sure it is my unit. I have to press volume up/down multiple times to increase/decrease the volume when the screen is off. I can't press and hold. If the screen is on or unlocked, I can press and hold the vol up/down keys. That sucks if it is normal.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,397 of 14,773
Not sure it is my unit. I have to press volume up/down multiple times to increase/decrease the volume when the screen is off. I can't press and hold. If the screen is on or unlocked, I can press and hold the vol up/down keys. That sucks if it is normal.

Yes that's normal zx2 volume function.

It stops the volume creeping up by accident in your pocket, (that could damage your hearing) , so there is reasoning behind this feature.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #4,398 of 14,773
If i undertand correctly If you use Digital Out, you're getting the PHA-3 audio quality which is different to the ZX2 (some people prefer the PHA-3, always preference).   If you do Analog Out, you get ZX2 sound source and use the PHA-3 as an amp.

As for using it as a DAC or an AMP, you can get Balanced Out, assuming you got the headphones to support the line

So let me phrase the question,
How is the sound of PHA-3 with zx2 connected in DigitalOut mode?
is it a bumpup from standalone zx2 or something else
I am interested to know...
Any users of both care to share..

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,399 of 14,773

When you use digital out, again as far as I understand, youre getting the sound quality of the PHA-3 so it doesn't matter what device you're conecting to it.  

Some people prefer the ZX2 quality over PHA-3, some PHA-3 over ZX2...however, if you're using a ZX2, you should probably only use the PHA-3 as an AMP only, which needs to be done through Analog out.  Benefit of PHA-3 over ZX2, to most who owns both is that PHA-3 can have true balanced out with the ZX2's DAC/DAP Please correct me if I am wrong.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,400 of 14,773

When you use digital out, again as far as I understand, youre getting the sound quality of the PHA-3 so it doesn't matter what device you're conecting to it.  

Some people prefer the ZX2 quality over PHA-3, some PHA-3 over ZX2...however, if you're using a ZX2, you should probably only use the PHA-3 as an AMP only, which needs to be done through Analog out.  Benefit of PHA-3 over ZX2, to most who owns both is that PHA-3 can have true balanced out with the ZX2's DAC/DAP Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lets just put in simple terms, music produced is peoples preferences, when compared PHA3 against the ZX2, so it's not which is better, its about convenience, the only advantage is true balanced output.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #4,401 of 14,773
I personally find ZX2 paired perfectly with Z5. A lot better compared to my UM Mentor and SE846. Not that Z5 is clearer...but the 3d imaging and the dynamic driver bass...no contest...this 2 ba iem had being sitting in the closet for quite awhile now.

Also try PHA3, Cryin C5 and Fiio E12A. Best sounding amp is PHA3 but the bass is much weaker compared to E12A. Close fight btn C5 and E12A but in the end, got the E12A because C5 bass sounded a little loose. It had more forwarded mid then E12A but unfortunately...no contest with PHA3.

Personally...for bass...E12A and it is less then 25% of PHA3 price. For ultimately sq among the 3...PHA3...and set you back 4x the price of E12A and C5.

Do take into account....I am quite a basshead. :D

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,402 of 14,773
I personally find ZX2 paired perfectly with Z5. A lot better compared to my UM Mentor and SE846. Not that Z5 is clearer...but the 3d imaging and the dynamic driver bass...no contest...this 2 ba iem had being sitting in the closet for quite awhile now.

Also try PHA3, Cryin C5 and Fiio E12A. Best sounding amp is PHA3 but the bass is much weaker compared to E12A. Close fight btn C5 and E12A but in the end, got the E12A because C5 bass sounded a little loose. It had more forwarded mid then E12A but unfortunately...no contest with PHA3.

Personally...for bass...E12A and it is less then 25% of PHA3 price. For ultimately sq among the 3...PHA3...and set you back 4x the price of E12A and C5.

Do take into account....I am quite a basshead.
biggrin.gif

Man, i used to have E12A before getting ZX2, do you think E12A pairing with ZX2 would degrade SQ?

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #4,403 of 14,773
Yes but fortunately not by a lot. But the bass...I guess the Z5 dynamic bass driver do play an important role to make it sound good. Zx2 and z5 combo make it sound most..."analogue" as compared to mentor and 846. Do check out this combo if possible.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4,405 of 14,773

New user here. Just got through reading ~250 pages of this thread. Appreciate all the great information!

Eagerly expecting arrival of my japanese import NW-ZX2 tomorrow, via Amazon prime. Hopefully they will sound good with my Grado PS500e cans.

I would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to provide me with the dimensions of the screen. I am looking to purchase a generic screen protector and cut it up until I can order a proper one.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #4,406 of 14,773

New user here. Just got through reading ~250 pages of this thread. Appreciate all the great information!

Eagerly expecting arrival of my japanese import NW-ZX2 tomorrow, via Amazon prime. Hopefully they will sound good with my Grado PS500e cans.

I would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to provide me with the dimensions of the screen. I am looking to purchase a generic screen protector and cut it up until I can order a proper one.

Thanks for your help.

just search for a ZX1 protector (same size as ZX2), there are plenty of them available on ebay and amazon for cheaps. You will not regret the purchase, but... it will force you to upgrade your grados

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4,407 of 14,773

Thanks for your help.

I have the ZX2 and demoed the PS500e. I really enjoyed the sound as it was detailed but warm. Not harsh at all. As far as power, the ZX2 did fine as I don't listen to music too loud. If you like your music really loud, then an amp might be needed. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4,410 of 14,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back