SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 15, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #4,411 of 14,773
Hi fellas

Thinking of changing DAP from my Sony ZX1. How does the sound signature of the ZX2 differ? More specifically, I find my ZX1 a bit bright at times, has this changed with the ZX2 or should I be looking at A&K?

I will be using it with Hugo and LCD-X at home and B&W P7 or either the EL-8 closed or Oppo PM-3 on the move.

I'd also like more storage and a better battery life when used with an external DAC.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,412 of 14,773
  Hi fellas

Thinking of changing DAP from my Sony ZX1. How does the sound signature of the ZX2 differ? More specifically, I find my ZX1 a bit bright at times, has this changed with the ZX2 or should I be looking at A&K?

I will be using it with Hugo and LCD-X at home and B&W P7 or either the EL-8 closed or Oppo PM-3 on the move.

I'd also like more storage and a better battery life when used with an external DAC.

I have never heard the ZX1.  I don't find the ZX2 to be too bright, too dim, too anything other than shockingly good-sounding.  The more I use it the more I am amazed--after 40 years of careful listening and audiophilia--at how good it sounds.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,413 of 14,773
Two things:

1. I am convinced that the ZX2 burning time has to be raised from 200hrs to 250hrs. 250hrs SHOULD BE THE OFFICIAL RECOMMENDED BURNING TIME OF THE ZX2 IN HEAD-FI. Who is with me on this one? I heard a substantial difference from 200 to 250 (mostly 3D imaging and transparency).... sorry to those waiting :D

2. I still like a lot the standard case, its very well made and modernly elegant. Maybe its because I play albums at a time and use playlists, I almost never need to have constant access to the screen.

In terms of burn are you leaving it on playing with charger on for the duration . Or in batches of set hours.also any recommended volume levels. Thanks

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #4,414 of 14,773
In terms of burn are you leaving it on playing with charger on for the duration . Or in batches of set hours.also any recommended volume levels. Thanks

On the manual, sony says : No regard to the sources as well as volume settings during burnt-in process

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,416 of 14,773
~ 40 hours, 1 hour rest, 4 hours charge for me

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #4,419 of 14,773
I agree with ZX2 + Z5 combo..I"m actually really liking the Z5 sound performance...that's why i'm debating if i want DHC silver still

also, no difference between japanese and usa version aside from warranty issues.  it's separated by serial number.

also rooting and unlocking bootloader will void warranty for Sony products. almost all companies void warranty at that point...i think right now only Nvidia doesn't care (they encourage you to unlock/root actually)

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,423 of 14,773
  Hi fellas

Agreed that ZX1 can be bright.  The ZX2 gets rid of that, and is beyond that a major upgrade overall.  I really liked my ZX1 and like the ZX2 a great deal more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back