SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4,367 of 14,773
  For those looking for a fast MicroSDXC card that you can use in the ZX2, the Lexar 633x cards are on sale for another 7 hours on Amazon (128Gb for $88!): http://amzn.com/B00O1M21H8

Does the speed really have an issue? I am using the Sandisk 128GB
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M562LF4/ref=pd_sim_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G2QZECVRH9HG0VCC0AM

have not noticed any issues in playback.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4,368 of 14,773
I dont undertand how to do this, even after google....

how do I setup DLNA / what' the difference with filesharing and DLNA?   I am on Windows 8.1 at home.

You don't set anything up, DLNA is a group of standards that Sony set up together with Microsoft so your music can stream and work amongst the multiple brands available.
It governs all the back end stuff and its compatibility. When you set up a network so that your music is available within your wireless connection.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4,369 of 14,773
  I dont undertand how to do this, even after google....

how do I setup DLNA / what' the difference with filesharing and DLNA?   I am on Windows 8.1 at home.

There are multiple ways to sharing files on a network. DLNA is a common standard used by a lot of different devices. In order for a renderer (the ZX2) to access music files on your Windows 8 computer, you need to run the built-in DLNA server on it by enabling the standard file sharing. Try these instructions: http://goo.gl/hAp9K

Alternatively, you can just run 3rd party DLNA server software on your Windows 8 machine like Plex (http://goo.gl/V0uqF6) or Twonky (http://goo.gl/KCTMFH). I have a bunch of Logitech Squeezeboxes and a Transporter on my home network, so I use Logitech Media Server.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #4,370 of 14,773
  Does the speed really have an issue? I am using the Sandisk 128GB
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M562LF4/ref=pd_sim_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G2QZECVRH9HG0VCC0AM

have not noticed any issues in playback.

Any of the new Class10 and above is not really an issue on playback in the ZX2. Where speed matters is when you use a card reader on your computer to read/write to the card.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #4,372 of 14,773
Hey guys, I've struggled with what I presume is an Android question-- from time to time I run out of space either on the internal memory or the 128G micro SD card. I'll delete a few CDs, but no additional space is created to drag and drop something new. I go through the process of ejecting the ZX2/card, turn off USB storage on the ZX2, the ZX2 updates the database, but still no additional room when I reconnect. After a few cycles, I took the next big step and wiped the music folder and still the same results. So... how do I really delete files so I can add new music?

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,373 of 14,773
Sorry for the OT question
What difference are there when playing with & without PHA-3.?

Sorry if these had been asked n answered..

If i undertand correctly If you use Digital Out, you're getting the PHA-3 audio quality which is different to the ZX2 (some people prefer the PHA-3, always preference).   If you do Analog Out, you get ZX2 sound source and use the PHA-3 as an amp.

As for using it as a DAC or an AMP, you can get Balanced Out, assuming you got the headphones to support the line

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,374 of 14,773
  Hey guys, I've struggled with what I presume is an Android question-- from time to time I run out of space either on the internal memory or the 128G micro SD card. I'll delete a few CDs, but no additional space is created to drag and drop something new. I go through the process of ejecting the ZX2/card, turn off USB storage on the ZX2, the ZX2 updates the database, but still no additional room when I reconnect. After a few cycles, I took the next big step and wiped the music folder and still the same results. So... how do I really delete files so I can add new music?

You have to empty the recycling bin.  With the device still connected to your PC.  If you deleted files while hooked into the SD card you have to delete the bin while connected to the SD card. If you deleted files while hooked into the internal memory you have to delete the bin while connected to the internal memory. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,375 of 14,773
  To the vast majority of people the hiss will go away in a few seconds and will be completely drowned out when music is playing. If you know what to listen for your can still hear it in quiet passages. I'm not sure this is a hearing sensitivity thing but more likely your ear needs to be "trained" to pick it up.

^ The boot hiss is a normal thing, and all the nx2 units do it its that unadvertised bonus bit of white noise, if it bothers you start the music then put on the iem's.
I do prefer the Shhh noise to the clunk clunk of a relay. So I guess it's the lesser of evil, and it's a non offensive noise, and more importantly a relay would have been more crap in the audio path. I think the noise is it's super capacitor booting up, after the class D amp wakes from a non use period.

No I have never heard the sound between songs ever, only after its in pause for a length of time.

it's as much a personality thing as it is a choice of IEM. I can't stand noises, some don't even notice the background of a vinyl.
the second thing is to simply own sensitive IEMs:

for example the se530 is very sensitive and famous for it, Tyll gives them as needing 0.011v to reach 90db.
by comparison, my cheap mc5 need 0.042v to reach the same 90db.
that means that any signal getting out of the DAP will be a little more than 10db louder on the se530, so subjectively twice as loud. the noise/hiss is nothing but a signal at a given voltage so it follows that rule. except that depending on the kind of noise, it may not get lower when lowering the volume setting, so while you end up setting your DAP to sound as loud on both IEMs for your comfort, you still get some noises 10db louder on the SE530.

I hope you get the basic idea behind all this. another example with my hd650, you get from the pdf, 0.205v to get 90db. so that's now almost 25db quieter than the SE530!!!!!
and that's why some people with some IEMs and headphones will never even understand what you're talking about when you mention hiss on a source. they're not deaf and you're not mad.

and of course the kind of music is a huge factor too. listening to a song that has 8db of dynamic will be loud all the time, most likely to mask any quiet noise, when some widely dynamic music may have enough quiet passages to reveal either the noise floor in the room when they recorded it(often on classical), or the noise from the DAP itself.

I see. Agree with the sensitivity issue though. I've heard hiss on quite a number of sources as well, but never like the ZX2 though. For example the hiss is present in the Hugo, just that when music is playing I can't really detect it. The ZX2's hiss disappears after afew seconds, even if I pause the music again. This is what got me confused.

So one final question, I take it that this hiss will do no harm to any of my IEMs? :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,378 of 14,773
I see. Agree with the sensitivity issue though. I've heard hiss on quite a number of sources as well, but never like the ZX2 though. For example the hiss is present in the Hugo, just that when music is playing I can't really detect it. The ZX2's hiss disappears after afew seconds, even if I pause the music again. This is what got me confused.

So one final question, I take it that this hiss will do no harm to any of my IEMs? :)

If you are talking about the initial start up burst of hiss, some have previously mentioned it's probably the capacitors discharging.
I doubt Sony will release a DAP which is harmful to IEMs...

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #4,379 of 14,773

On the manual , sony did mention about faint static noise, it just happens because the amp is being powered up and capacitors being charged

Does anyone here use EQ, what is your favorite set-up?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #4,380 of 14,773

The hiss that goes away after a couple of seconds, is just the units circuit charging up from a sleeping state, I believe, and no it can't harm your iem's. Do not worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back