SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,726 of 14,773

who makes a 3.5mm balanced cable?

Beat Audio?

Do you know if the Sony Ginza will add the ZX2 to the export duty free section, and also does Sony provide duty free on their domestic models, if not I will have to get them from elsewhere.

Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Next time I pop by Sony Ginza I can confirm for you, but in my past experience, I don't believe so. Sony has distinctively different models for export (and therefore duty free) vs those that are for domestic use. I'm sure they can't stop a visitor paying for a domestic model but with tax but if a visitor wants tax free, I believe they'll take them to the duty free section with the international models.

http://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/products.html
http://contents.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/pdf/OVERSEAS16_sou.pdf#page=9

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Having been down this road (I was getting an engraved Walkman a few years back at Sony Ginza) I can say the export versions and the Japanese domestic stuff is handled differently.

See my comment from earlier in the thread - if you want to try to shop tax free, go to Bic Camera. I did that for a few things when I was there in December - and it wasn't the international version of stuff.

Originally Posted by kms108 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was expecting the Zx2 will be available as both the Japanese version and international version in the Ginza shop, just like the Zx1.

I will shop around first, I won't buy it direct from the sony shop until been around.
Still deciding whether to get the international or japan version.

Sony only offers regional warranty, it's only stores that states support and sales for oversea model that has warranty for worldwide, for those country you need to see if it's on their list.

The warranty card issued are different than those for local stores.

I've called the Sony Store in Ginza. Confirmed that :-

1) No international version available in store
2) Japanese version available at full price incl GST only (i.e. no Duty Free)

Intrestingly he said "You can change the langauge to English but you'll have no warranty". That's rather intersesting which leads me to speculate that the S/W loaded on the Japanese version is different from the S/W loaded on the international version.

Thanks for taking time to checking for me.

My be there is a misunderstanding, my be the sales rep was actually going to say is the system language is selectable, as with all android, but as this version is for the local market so no international warranty or tax free is allowed.

It seems like I will have to get it from Bic camera or other local shops as some other members has stated, or in Hong Kong. And the decision is either get the Hong Kong version at HKD 8880 (USD 1144) with warranty, whiles the Japanese version is like USD 220 cheaper tax free, without warranty.

Does anyone know how reliable are Sony products in recent years, although I've used Sony product and considered them reliable in the past, all their IEM that I have used last me at least 5 years, and now I have the XBA 3, EX600 and EX800ST, with them being 1 to 4 years old scratch free and working perfect like new. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,727 of 14,773
Well mine should arrive a week today.

Kinda excited, I've not bought any new audio kit for some time other than the Westone W40's I bought the other week.

I thought buying them would keep me happy for a while but that didn't work.

Any recommendations of hi res audio to try on it, I'm talking a well mastered download rather than something that's been upscaled and passed as being hi res.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,728 of 14,773

Kinda excited, I've not bought any new audio kit for some time other than the Westone W40's I bought the other week.

Any recommendations of hi res audio to try on it, I'm talking a well mastered download rather than something that's been upscaled and passed as being hi res.

I guess the mastered correctly for high resolution would be another tricky part. I believe Vynils Rip will be the closest ? But I believe Sony will soon upgrade their new released music to be High Resolution Reccords soon ! have to wait for Sony!!

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,729 of 14,773

I have found out that Hi Res files are hard to find, especially 24/96 and 24/192, there are site you can pay and download them.

you can get them free from here although some are Chinese, there are music only both 24/96 and 24/192 http://www.funguitar.com.hk/blog/hi-res/?cid=s_1412_ss_walkmancsc_banner_f_hires_download_debut , or you can buy them from here http://www.hifitrack.com/en .

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,730 of 14,773
The only high res audio tracks I have would be 16/48k....and those are dvd and bluray collections rips. I am surprise Chinese Studios already have them reccorded at that quality ! Amazing....why cant we already have it here in the States ?

Also the Acoustic Research DAP is priced 100-150$ away from ZX2..... I am not sure how that will fly for them...and the quality, but I heard it only has 9 hours playback ? I quiet like Burrbrown DAC though, better than wolfson and cirrus logic...but that is still off the shelf stuff and unlike Sony.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,731 of 14,773

I decided to conduct an accurate timing for the above. I checked my unit and I have less than 1GB of storage left and from a cold boot which I began timing from the first instance of an image on the screen to full scan times out at 1min 20 secs.

In that case take 5 seconds off my time as I started with pressing the on button!

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,732 of 14,773
The only high res audio tracks I have would be 16/48k....and those are dvd and bluray collections rips. I am surprise Chinese Studios already have them reccorded at that quality ! Amazing....why cant we already have it here in the States ?

Also the Acoustic Research DAP is priced 100-150$ away from ZX2..... I am not sure how that will fly for them...and the quality, but I heard it only has 9 hours playback ? I quiet like Burrbrown DAC though, better than wolfson and cirrus logic...but that is still off the shelf stuff and unlike Sony.

I've got a original MQS album at 24/96, and downloaded  some during the last few days, haven't heard them but I think it's 16/44 FLAC, and did some converting with my own CD's.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,734 of 14,773
Thanks for the info, I don't mind paying for a download.

I have a few vinyl rips already so I'll give them a listen when it arrives.

I kinda wish I had the time to update my main audio equipment but with a 3 year old running about I've not the time to spend on that.
Plus I panic every time she goes near the existing kit already.

I'm still rocking a TAG AV32r with all the updates and a Parasound 1205A power amp, bi amped into Tannoy R3's.

I'm chuffed that my 3 year old girl loves The Who, she was even dancing along to the Stone Roses on Sunday.
She also loves a bit of Fatboy Slim, I'll wait a bit before I expose her brain to Paul Van Dyke, The Chemical Bro's or Tiesto though. :)

I've got to balance out the 1 Direction the wife has her listening to. lol

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,735 of 14,773
Feb 23, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,737 of 14,773
For buying english Hi Res songs you can go to hdtracks.com

The new Diana Krall album Wallflower and the Cheek To Cheek from Tony Bennett and Lady GaGa is highly recommended.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,738 of 14,773
For what it's worth

I finally tried a Micro SD card and I have a cheapo 16GB Kingston lying around - works fine and sound quality is fine....
Insert microSD (pins facing up) in and the player should create new folders. After that just dump your albums (folder by folder) into the Music folder
Only had 16GB to play with but scanning by the player only took a couple of seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back