SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 30, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #8,086 of 14,755
Hi guys,

I got a question, can I use an adapter (3.5mm Female TRS to 3.5mm Male TRRS) instead of a straight TRRS cable in order for it to be balanced?

Ex.

ZX2 > adapter  > CIEM with TRS cable

I think this would save me a lot of money as i do have two ciems (one with 2 pin and the other has MMCX). Or should I terminate both cables to TRRS (Not my favorable option)?

Sorry for the question as I am still a beginner in this "balanced" thing. TIA

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #8,087 of 14,755
No, unfortunately you must start with a TRRS plug connected to your cable, (this initially separates the ground cables of left and right).

Then you can use an adapter to terminate to a standard TRS using an adapter, not the other way around.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #8,088 of 14,755
  Hi guys,

I got a question, can I use an adapter (3.5mm Female TRS to 3.5mm Male TRRS) instead of a straight TRRS cable in order for it to be balanced?

Ex.

ZX2 > adapter  > CIEM with TRS cable

I think this would save me a lot of money as i do have two ciems (one with 2 pin and the other has MMCX). Or should I terminate both cables to TRRS (Not my favorable option)?

Sorry for the question as I am still a beginner in this "balanced" thing. TIA

nope.

if you put a TRRS male in a TRRS female you loose the benefits of the balanced connection.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #8,089 of 14,755
in term of money, a decent quality 3.5 TRRS is not a lot. let's say USD10...

it is quite easy to solder.

If you want to enjoy your CIEM in other DAP/source, you can make a TRRS to TRS adapter, once again, easy and cheap.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #8,090 of 14,755
No, unfortunately you must start with a TRRS plug connected to your cable, (this initially separates the ground cables of left and right).

Then you can use an adapter to terminate to a standard TRS using an adapter, not the other way around.

All this requires that your cable actually runs 4 wires all the way to the plug. Some only run 3 wires to the plug and then split to 4 wires at the Y joint.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #8,092 of 14,755
Yeah like my b&w p7, it runs a common ground through the cable so it needs a new cable to run a TRRS plug.

Unfortunately even a new cable won't solve the problem.
P7 has a female 2.5 trs plug in the left cup.
Unless you open the cup and get access the the other cup wires, no possible banlanced cable.

FYI I'm working on it.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #8,093 of 14,755
Unfortunately even a new cable won't solve the problem.
P7 has a female 2.5 trs plug in the left cup.
Unless you open the cup and get access the the other cup wires, no possible banlanced cable.

FYI I'm working on it.

I was thinking of opening opening it up and replacing the plug with a TRRS 2.5 female, but haven't had much luck finding it, (same as what's in the AK DAP) or just soldering in direct.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8,094 of 14,755
I was thinking of opening opening it up and replacing the plug with a TRRS 2.5 female, but haven't had much luck finding it, (same as what's in the AK DAP) or just soldering in direct.

Even female 3.5 TRS (good quality) is hard to find....not to mention TRRS regardless or 2.5 female as they are too new on the market, and 3rd party don't find it very profitable to place mass order on them. Our options are very limited.

I, myself, just direct solder out to female 3.5 and use anything Sony related.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8,096 of 14,755
thinking to get one of these 3 iems , can nayone say which one sounds better (synergy-wise) with his ZX2 ?

UM Miracle / JH13 / UERM

also 2 questions - are these hard to drive (i have a EU ZX2) ? and can i do the TRRS thing on them ?

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #8,097 of 14,755
thinking to get one of these 3 iems , can nayone say which one sounds better (synergy-wise) with his ZX2 ?

UM Miracle / JH13 / UERM

also 2 questions - are these hard to drive (i have a EU ZX2) ? and can i do the TRRS thing on them ?

None of them are hard to drive.

Ill be gettinf a uerm in a few weeks. Ive heard the uerm on a few occasions now. My hope is itll synergize really well with the zx2. The extra little sub bass and extension the zx2 offers im hoping will rly work well with the uerm. Ill give more comments in a few weeks time

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #8,100 of 14,755
With it on the music becomes "impressive" but it somehow just sounds wrong so I don't use it

You know you couldn't have said it better. The low end seems to come alive and some airiness but somehow it feels wrong. Not sure how to put it subjectively. I guess bottom line is whether it provides a enjoyable listening experience with it being on or off . Will find out soon. 3 more days of trial to go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back