SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 23, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #6,076 of 14,755
also pha-3 can be used with the Z7 if you want to go balanced.
The PH-3 would be a waste of money since it's a DAC/AMP, that's what the ZX2 is, just go with a good portable AMP that can at least push certain cans. The PH-3 is something you would buy if you did not have the ZX2. My ibasso D6 does a great job complementing my ZX2 with 650mwX2,it has enough juice to push my cans,it also brings my IEM's "JH16's" to another level.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #6,078 of 14,755

I've been following Angie (and Layla) reviews, I am not sure whether reviews are mixed, only if Layla compared to Angie :)  K10 have their own pros compared to Angie and Layla, reading from reviews I'd think it is a matter of personal taste. You can try Angie at doctorhead shop in Moscow, they have them in stock almost all the time.

Well, I have read some negative comments comparing Layla and Roxanne to K10 and A12.  Never read a single negative point about K10.  My problem is that I can try all Angies plus A10 and A12 at Doctorhead in Moscow, but they do not have K10.  In my view these 6 CIEM currently represent the very best and I would love to try them all before making a choice:)

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,079 of 14,755

FWIW, I find that B&W P7 pair very well with the ZX2. No idea if they're easily available in Moscow though...

All B&W range is available in Moscow, I think they would be available on the moon if there was a Hi-Fi shop there:)  Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, will try them.
I just wonder, what would be the best money no object on-year or over-year cans for the ZX2 if you do not want to use a separate amplifier?  I know that Oppo PM-1 are quite good.  Anything else? 

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,080 of 14,755

The Sennheiser HD 25 II are on-ear.  If you are considering on-ear, I am really enjoying the ZX2 with the Beyerdynamic T51i.  The ZX2 easily drives these cans; I only have to adjust volume to about 50% and is perfect for my listening level, any higher and it is too loud.  You might also want to check out the Sennheiser Momentum M2.  Although I don't own them, I used to own the originals and liked them very much.  I've heard great things about the M2.

Thank you, I will try them all.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #6,082 of 14,755
Hello, everyone,

I am new to the forum, although have been following this excellent thread for some time.

Just got my Sony NW-ZX2 and enjoying it with my very old Sennheiser PX 200. Now I need new quality cans:). My plan is to get a pair of top quality CIEM, will try 1964 A12, JH Roxanne or Layla or Angie, but as I am based in Moscow, Russia, and it will be at least 2-3 months, before I receive them.
Can you recommend some over ear model, that is efficient enough to be driven by the Sony? So far, on my list are Oppo PM-1, PM-3, Sennheiser HD 25 II. Anything else I should try?

Thank you.

I have been very happy with the NAD VISO HP50 over ear phones with the NW-ZX2.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #6,083 of 14,755

Well, I have read some negative comments comparing Layla and Roxanne to K10 and A12.  Never read a single negative point about K10.  My problem is that I can try all Angies plus A10 and A12 at Doctorhead in Moscow, but they do not have K10.  In my view these 6 CIEM currently represent the very best and I would love to try them all before making a choice:)

Well then time to hop on a plane  :)    Frankly, I have found universal fit IEMS never sound quite as good as custom IEMs. Have heard the universal Angie and Layla, and have custom UE 18 Pro, JH 13, Roxanne and K10. K10 for the win, with the UE18 Pro for mastering/accuracy. Waiting on the A12 as am getting a few sets of impressions done Thursday. Of course there is personal preference PLUS I'm waiting on the Double Helix silver wire / cable for the CIEM Roxannes in hopes that helps improve their resolution and adds to their ability to render dynamic shading. I want to love the Roxannes, yet something is holding them back whereas the K10 reigns supreme in so many ways.

Am enjoying music via the K10 right now.
etysmile.gif

Of course all the above is JMHO. We all have preferences.

Ok, time to get back to reviewing the Astell&Kern Jr. As always in the end what really maters is that you...

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6,084 of 14,755

Well then time to hop on a plane  :)    Frankly, I have found universal fit IEMS never sound quite as good as custom IEMs. Have heard the universal Angie and Layla, and have custom UE 18 Pro, JH 13, Roxanne and K10. K10 for the win, with the UE18 Pro for mastering/accuracy. Waiting on the A12 as am getting a few sets of impressions done Thursday. Of course there is personal preference PLUS I'm waiting on the Double Helix silver wire / cable for the CIEM Roxannes in hopes that helps improve their resolution and adds to their ability to render dynamic shading. I want to love the Roxannes, yet something is holding them back whereas the K10 reigns supreme in so many ways.

Am enjoying music via the K10 right now.
etysmile.gif

Of course all the above is JMHO. We all have preferences.

Ok, time to get back to reviewing the Astell&Kern Jr. As always in the end what really maters is that you...

Would be amazing if you could draw a comparison between the ZX1 and the Jr. I know you're not a fan of the ZX1, but both DAPs the ZX1 and JR are catering to the same customers and cost about the same.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #6,086 of 14,755
Has anyone paired this DAP with the Shure SE846s? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it a good match? I got the 846s today and I have the ZX2 in my basket on Amazon ( I am that close) I have heard a lot of good things about it but haven't read any comments or reviews about this pairing yet.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #6,088 of 14,755
Has anyone paired this DAP with the Shure SE846s? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it a good match? I got the 846s today and I have the ZX2 in my basket on Amazon ( I am that close) I have heard a lot of good things about it but haven't read any comments or reviews about this pairing yet.
I went to www.crutchfield.com and bought a returned unit, which they sell under Outlet:scratch and dent.
I got it for $1019 "plus they have 60 days returns",the DAP came as new, only thing missing was the manual "who reads those anyways", and the thing was loaded with nothing but a **** load of crap mp3's, I have no idea what that person was thinking, you don't play mp3's with this DAP, maybe he realized he could not afford it, his loss my gain, the DAP came like new. I love this DAP, FLAC's sound fantastic as do my CD's converted with Windows Media Player to PCM 1411 kbps. I use my JH16's, klipsch custom 3's "olds set but still rock" and my AKG 702's, and they all rock with this DAP especially the IEM'S, the cans I attach my external ibasso D6 650mwx2 for that extra kick that the 702's demand.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #6,090 of 14,755

I went to www.crutchfield.com and bought a returned unit, which they sell under Outlet:scratch and dent.
I got it for $1019 "plus they have 60 days returns",the DAP came as new, only thing missing was the manual "who reads those anyways", and the thing was loaded with nothing but a **** load of crap mp3's, I have no idea what that person was thinking, you don't play mp3's with this DAP, maybe he realized he could not afford it, his loss my gain, the DAP came like new. I love this DAP, FLAC's sound fantastic as do my CD's converted with Windows Media Player to PCM 1411 kbps. I use my JH16's, klipsch custom 3's "olds set but still rock" and my AKG 702's, and they all rock with this DAP especially the IEM'S, the cans I attach my external ibasso D6 650mwx2 for that extra kick that the 702's demand.

Are you sure you didn't get the manual, it's under the cloth cover where the unit is position, I though I didn't get one either, but search around and found it, also I have a lot of mp3 on mine, as many of my collection are mp3, but I do try to convert some of them if I have time, as I do have the original on CD and DVD.

Just one question if I use mediamonkey to convert a CD 16bit/44.1Mhz to 24bit/48Mhz, am I correct to assume I won't gain any advantage in sound quality.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back