SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6,047 of 14,755
Has any one with the most recent firmware build 1.01 been able to get the volume output trick to work? I can't seem to....
New firmware? - I'm still on 1.00.0003 and it says no update available :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,048 of 14,755
New firmware? - I'm still on 1.00.0003 and it says no update available
frown.gif

I think the Japanese import versions all got a new firmware upgrade. Mine was a Japanese import asked for the upgrade the day it arrived.. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #6,049 of 14,755

I'm here to join the club, got my ZX2 a week ago from Japan along with many accessories.

My unit is Japan version, and using it for a week whiles in Japan I have a few questions, and hopefully some one can help out.

1 I have a update message as soon as the unit was turned on, but haven't updated yet, is it safe to update, or is it best to stay on the current version.

2 On the home screen we can slide either way 5 section, is there anyway to reduce this, I know on a Samsung you can do it, but can't seem to figure it out on the ZX2.

3 Is there anyway to transfer media from card to internal memory or the other way around, I've tried a few file manager app (apk), but can't seem to do this. 

And is anyone not in Japan using mora to download Hi Res music, I have successfully done this, but the out come is weird, using PC with IE or green browser I get the message for Japan only and can't get any further, but using the mora app on android it works, but I can't seem to find the location where the file is downloaded to on the ZX2, after the download or purchased from mora app I can go back to my PC and re-download the same files from my purchased section without any problem.

Anyone having the same issue.

1. No reason not to update.
2. The sections are part of the home screen / launcher app. You have many highly configurable options on Android, including launchers from Google, Apex, and Nova. I only have one home screen one initial app drawer screen (on my phone, however, I have many screens and widgets).
3. I just tested file management between internal and external memory. ES File Explorer works. If Android is new to you, bear in mind that internal is usually labelled SD Card too. In this case internal is sdcard0 and external is sdcard1.

Thanks for the reply, I tend to keep my unit free from all apps, so I don't like to install optional launcher apps, so far I put the music player widget on each section of the home screen, so which ever of the 5 section I'm on, I have the music player.

I'm use to using android on Samsung, and all I have to do is touch and pinch to remove each section, but this does not work on the Sony.

As for the file manager, I've tried many, but probably missed out on the ES File explorer, I will try this.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6,050 of 14,755

New firmware? - I'm still on 1.00.0003 and it says no update available
frown.gif

I think the Japanese import versions all got a new firmware upgrade. Mine was a Japanese import asked for the upgrade the day it arrived.. 

Do you  know what the new update includes, I'm still on 1.00.0000, haven't updated yet.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6,051 of 14,755
From what I can see, I would hazard most of the update includes Japan-specific content you can access via the ZX2. Most of the apps included (maybe all, haven't tried to remove them one by one) are also system-restricted, and cannot be removed (unless you'd like to try rooting the ZX2, which I don't intend to
tongue.gif
 )

Some screenshots might be useful:

1. System status

2. Home screen 2 (swipe left)

From the first row, left to right: Wifi Apps, Support, Help Guide, Guide to quality sound (basically the Sony statement about capacitor burn in, can attach if anyone is interested), next row i-Filter (from what I can tell, some sort of safe browsing app? My kanji is not what it should be >.< ) and finally Settings

3. App tray 1

3. App tray 2 (including the mora music app)

3. App tray 3 (Youtube, Direct recording app provided by Sony (needs an external mic attached, so couldn't try it), and some sort of social app) 

Anyone who also owns a Japanese set and hasn't updated, might be worth contrasting.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #6,052 of 14,755
I think it also included a kill of whatever the volume output trick affected with the player! I certainly can't get it to work anymore and I'm certain I haven't been doing anything different than when I had the last firmware. When running the new update, it warns that you cannot go back to an older one either... So you'd really want to be sure you won't need to use the output trick at all. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #6,053 of 14,755
I think it also included a kill of whatever the volume output trick affected with the player! I certainly can't get it to work anymore and I'm certain I haven't been doing anything different than when I had the last firmware. When running the new update, it warns that you cannot go back to an older one either... So you'd really want to be sure you won't need to use the output trick at all. 

What's this volume output trick you speak of? :p The ZX2 seems to get plenty loud with my earphones (so much so that I've never been able to max it out while listening), don't think I need it louder, tbh.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #6,054 of 14,755

I sooooo feel your pain. Years ago when MSoft screwed me during an 'update' I SWORE from then on that no music program would ever have full rights to my 'core' files. I'd either copy the files to another independent computer system for complete manipulation or have said program linked to the NAS via a 'restricted access zone' account so that it could never change/alter/remove anything on that 'section' of the NAS unit. If you use a NAS, setup a restricted access section and disallow access of that specific account from the ability to write/delete files, only allow it read access. Hope this helps.

PS: This is also why keeping old computers is a good thing, as they can be relegated to 'lower-level' use like maintaining your playlists/music for specific devices.

Thank you for the reply, Steven.  I have been reading and enjoying your stories on your website for the past month or two and have learned a lot about portable music players and headphones as a result.  I appreciate the combination of expertise and enthusiasm you bring to your coverage of hi fi equipment.

I am going to purchase an external SSD to back up my music, as I don't have any old computers to use for that purpose right now.  Until Apple offers a retina 21 inch iMac, I will keep my 2010 iMac.

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #6,055 of 14,755

What's this volume output trick you speak of?
tongue.gif
The ZX2 seems to get plenty loud with my earphones (so much so that I've never been able to max it out while listening), don't think I need it louder, tbh.

I read earlier that disabling the sound enhancement will increase the volume.

For me it's loud enough without doing anything.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #6,056 of 14,755
  I just got my Zx2 yesterday from japan, it has been held by lazy @$$ customs here in egypt for like 25 days, i had to go and finish the papers myself.

Out of the box the battery was empty and finger prints everywhere ( so they must have played with it in the customs and left it open)

i played with it while charging, filled it up 64 GB internally and 128 GB sdcard, time took to update the database wasn't crazy long.

it sounded very nice out of the box, with all settings off, didn't find the clear audio + to my liking.

also tried it with my JBL charge 2 bluetooth speaker, i have noticed some distortion, kept playing with all settings, but the distortion was still there, at the end i found an option under the bluetooth connection,

priority sound quality
standard
priority connection

it was set to standard, i changed it to priority sound quality, and the distortion was no longer there.

waited until it charged fully, closed wifi and nfc, then removed charger and restarted it. it opened at 98% then i started the burning process, and uptill now it's made like 15 hours with 60% remaining, so if it goes by the same rate , i would say this is the normal stated rating for FLAC+MP3 collection

I will update any new findings

Edited :

Without downloading any apps or setting up my gmail, with 14000 songs it is working pretty awesome and smooth, and the search function is very nice, everything is cool.

With large collection of mp3s and flacs on shuffle mode, the battery took around 31 hours to drain.

28 hours the screen was off and the dap wasn't touched.

3 hours with screen on and manually choosing songs ( drained from 40% to 16% )

so it seems that either screen or moving manually between songs drained too much battery.

i will continue the burning process while charging..

Update :

while the dap playing on shuffle and screen off the whole time it did last to 41 hours, the next round was 43 hours.

with normal usage of 1 - 2 hours per day, it has been up for 7 days till now with 45% remaining, so i find the battery to be very nice.

The only thing that i worry about is that it drained too fast with screen on, but i will have to test it thoroughly.

as i said before, the most i enjoyed is with all settings off, and with my iems clear audio+ sounds very unnatural.

i tried clear audio+ with mad dogs and they sounded better, it took the volume up a notch with better bass and layering, i don't know if thats the case with planar magnetic ? or just my mad dogs ?

i can't say it drives the mad dogs great or anything, but at max volume the sound quality is very good but at some times you might need some more voulme.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #6,057 of 14,755
Update :

while the dap playing on shuffle and screen off the whole time it did last to 41 hours, the next round was 43 hours.

with normal usage of 1 - 2 hours per day, it has been up for 7 days till now with 45% remaining, so i find the battery to be very nice.

The only thing that i worry about is that it drained too fast with screen on, but i will have to test it thoroughly.

as i said before, the most i enjoyed is with all settings off, and with my iems clear audio+ sounds very unnatural.

i tried clear audio+ with mad dogs and they sounded better, it took the volume up a notch with better bass and layering, i don't know if thats the case with planar magnetic ? or just my mad dogs ?

i can't say it drives the mad dogs great or anything, but at max volume the sound quality is very good but at some times you might need some more voulme.
That's why I added the ibasso D6 650mwx2, which runs my AKG 702's with ease.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,058 of 14,755
Hello, everyone,

I am new to the forum, although have been following this excellent thread for some time.

Just got my Sony NW-ZX2 and enjoying it with my very old Sennheiser PX 200. Now I need new quality cans:). My plan is to get a pair of top quality CIEM, will try 1964 A12, JH Roxanne or Layla or Angie, but as I am based in Moscow, Russia, and it will be at least 2-3 months, before I receive them.
Can you recommend some over ear model, that is efficient enough to be driven by the Sony? So far, on my list are Oppo PM-1, PM-3, Sennheiser HD 25 II. Anything else I should try?

Thank you.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #6,059 of 14,755
Hello, everyone,

I am new to the forum, although have been following this excellent thread for some time.

Just got my Sony NW-ZX2 and enjoying it with my very old Sennheiser PX 200. Now I need new quality cans:). My plan is to get a pair of top quality CIEM, will try 1964 A12, JH Roxanne or Layla or Angie, but as I am based in Moscow, Russia, and it will be at least 2-3 months, before I receive them.
Can you recommend some over ear model, that is efficient enough to be driven by the Sony? So far, on my list are Oppo PM-1, PM-3, Sennheiser HD 25 II. Anything else I should try?

Thank you.

The Sennheiser HD 25 II are on-ear.  If you are considering on-ear, I am really enjoying the ZX2 with the Beyerdynamic T51i.  The ZX2 easily drives these cans; I only have to adjust volume to about 50% and is perfect for my listening level, any higher and it is too loud.  You might also want to check out the Sennheiser Momentum M2.  Although I don't own them, I used to own the originals and liked them very much.  I've heard great things about the M2.

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,060 of 14,755

Do you  know what the new update includes, I'm still on 1.00.0000, haven't updated yet.

it fixes issues with importation on X-APP applicatons, which is an older version of Media Go.

Thank you for the reply, Steven.  I have been reading and enjoying your stories on your website for the past month or two and have learned a lot about portable music players and headphones as a result.  I appreciate the combination of expertise and enthusiasm you bring to your coverage of hi fi equipment.

I am going to purchase an external SSD to back up my music, as I don't have any old computers to use for that purpose right now.  Until Apple offers a retina 21 inch iMac, I will keep my 2010 iMac.

why SSD for a music file...?  that's a waste of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back