SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,716 of 14,773
Did you have to do anything, Duncan, to fix this? If I look at my battery stats I always see the "media server" as the top user of battery power.

Thanks.
No, I didn't - The only random correlation is that I switched off DSEE and ClearAudio - I wonder if either of those run via the 'server'??

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,718 of 14,773
Okay, thanks. Don't use those. I was just wondering, like you, what I am serving :wink: and to whom.
Airplane mode on, NOT using Neutron (I was, but deleted, using stock player) other than that, not done anything out of the ordinary...

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,719 of 14,773
  Hi PC,

Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I'm not really bothered by not using playlist.  Being able to just drag and drop is one of the reasons I went with the zx2 instead of one of the Astell &Kern offerings.  Also because I've heard the zx2 has great synergy with the Noble K10 which I am awaiting.

The ZX2 is much better than my AK240 regarding file transfers.  It is reasonably fast and more importantly it is reliable.  As has been mentioned, the ZX2 shows up as a drive on your system and you simply drag and drop.  Identical to the AK120 and other DAPs.  Two things to remember when you copy songs to the ZX2: Make certain you place them in the "Music" folder and the ZX2 will only present one storage area at a time.  By default, it presents the internal storage.  To have the micro SD card show up as a drive on your Mac you will need to change the ZX2 storage to point to the micro SD card.  Not a big deal but it took me a bit to realize this initially.  My AK120 would display both SD cards at once.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #5,721 of 14,773
  The ZX2 is much better than my AK240 regarding file transfers.  It is reasonably fast and more importantly it is reliable.  As has been mentioned, the ZX2 shows up as a drive on your system and you simply drag and drop.  Identical to the AK120 and other DAPs.  Two things to remember when you copy songs to the ZX2: Make certain you place them in the "Music" folder and the ZX2 will only present one storage area at a time.  By default, it presents the internal storage.  To have the micro SD card show up as a drive on your Mac you will need to change the ZX2 storage to point to the micro SD card.  Not a big deal but it took me a bit to realize this initially.  My AK120 would display both SD cards at once.

Thanks for the advice.  Can I add music to the external micro sd card directly from a card reader attached to my computer and then insert in the zx2 or does the transfer have to happen with the sd card in the device?

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #5,722 of 14,773

Thanks for the advice.  Can I add music to the external micro sd card directly from a card reader attached to my computer and then insert in the zx2 or does the transfer have to happen with the sd card in the device?

If you take out SD card at zx2, if you use it, it'll delete your cover art for ones you've manually added on via the zx2

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #5,723 of 14,773

The good: The transfer rate is much faster if you can do it natively on your pc/mac.  
The bad:  What drricekcn mentioned as well as if you use the SenseMe mood thingy it will need to be performed again when you reinsert your SD card.  I don't use this feature right now so it isn't an issue for me.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,724 of 14,773
In response to animalsrush:

Thanks for the tips, but the ZX2 is not "fully compatible with Mac."  If it were, Sony's Media Go app would work with Mac, which it does not unless you install Windows on your Mac.
angry_face.gif

I am probably going to try that route: installing Windows, which I dread.  Has anyone with Windows tried the Media Go app to update playlists?  Does this work okay?

As it is now, I can't update my playlist unless I delete it and transfer the entire updated playlist which takes hours.  Yes, I can add albums but I don't want to play one album at a time in my car as the music stops at the end of the album and I don't want to fiddle around with my ZX2 while driving to get the next album to play.  I need to be able to update my playlist or my experience will be substantially limited.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,725 of 14,773
In response to animalsrush:

Thanks for the tips, but the ZX2 is not "fully compatible with Mac."  If it were, Sony's Media Go app would work with Mac, which it does not unless you install Windows on your Mac. :angry_face:

I am probably going to try that route: installing Windows, which I dread.  Has anyone with Windows tried the Media Go app to update playlists?  Does this work okay?

As it is now, I can't update my playlist unless I delete it and transfer the entire updated playlist which takes hours.  Yes, I can add albums but I don't want to play one album at a time in my car as the music stops at the end of the album and I don't want to fiddle around with my ZX2 while driving to get the next album to play.  I need to be able to update my playlist or my experience will be substantially limited.

I use Media Go on PC. It does allow you to update playlists on the ZX2--with a but.

So, let's say you make a playlist in Media Go, and you transfer it over to the ZX2's internal storage. It'll work just fine. BUT, let's say that playlist contains 100 tracks that you happen to store on your SD card. Well, Media Go will make copies of those 100 tracks and put them onto the main storage of the ZX2. Even though the ZX2 maintains its own coherent database across both internal storage and the SD card, for some reason, the playlists that Media Go sends over needs to have all the files located in the same location as the playlist itself.

There may be some way around this, but I haven't had much time or inclination to try variations.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #5,726 of 14,773
Hey Guys 

Firstly I bought the proverbial bullet and purchased the ZX2 online from Sony Canada, will hopefully get it by Monday at the latest, Friday at the earliest. My main reason for purchasing the ZX2 was to use it with Tidal.  I know there is a general disagreement about how much of a difference there is in quality between DSD and FLAC, therefore my question is will I be missing something if I don't use it mainly for DSD? 

Secondly I owned the ZX1 for about two weeks before returning it after reading all the reviews of the ZX2. Some have said the difference is massive ,while others say not by much. Can anyone who's owned both units weigh in? Am I right in paying an extra 500 dollars for the ZX2 especially if i'm mainly using it for Tidal?

By the way I'm gonna pair the unit with my Shure se846 and my custom Um Miracles. 

I had the ZX1 and really liked it. For the x2, I'll still go with "massive."

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #5,728 of 14,773
Hi everyone

I just recently purchased Westone W60's and mostly listening on my desktop pc through Creative titanium HD sound card, i also using them on my phone when i am traveling, but obviously it lack's a lot of punch compared to the sound card. My question is will the ZX-2 equal or surpass the SQ of my sound card ? 

Thanks

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #5,729 of 14,773
I use a NW-ZX2 with a Mac.

I created a new, additional iTunes library on the Mac, pointing the iTunes Preferences --> Advanced location of the iTunes media folder to the MUSIC folder of the Walkman.  

That way, I can edit all the metadata for the music on the Walkman using iTunes.

(To create an additional iTunes library, hold down the Option key when you start iTunes.  It will ask you if you want to create a new library.  Do that, and name it "iTunes Walkman."  While you are working on your Walkman's internal storage use that library.  When you are done, quit iTunes, and again restart with the Option key, and choose to use an existing library, namely the main default iTunes library on your Mac.)

I also made yet another iTunes library for the SD card in the Walkman.  

This makes it much easier to edit metadata, add art and just plain see what is on your Walkman and on your SD card.

I don't use Playlists so I don't know whether any playlist made with iTunes will be detected by the Walkman, but would love to hear from anyone who tries out my method.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #5,730 of 14,773
  I use a NW-ZX2 with a Mac.

I created a new, additional iTunes library on the Mac, pointing the iTunes Preferences --> Advanced location of the iTunes media folder to the MUSIC folder of the Walkman.  

That way, I can edit all the metadata for the music on the Walkman using iTunes.

(To create an additional iTunes library, hold down the Option key when you start iTunes.  It will ask you if you want to create a new library.  Do that, and name it "iTunes Walkman."  While you are working on your Walkman's internal storage use that library.  When you are done, quit iTunes, and again restart with the Option key, and choose to use an existing library, namely the main default iTunes library on your Mac.)

I also made yet another iTunes library for the SD card in the Walkman.  

This makes it much easier to edit metadata, add art and just plain see what is on your Walkman and on your SD card.

I don't use Playlists so I don't know whether any playlist made with iTunes will be detected by the Walkman, but would love to hear from anyone who tries out my method.

Thanks, I think I will give this a try.  So I'm guessing that I put the media on the device first and then create the new library pointing it to the walkman's storage.  Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back