SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 16, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #9,466 of 14,755
I purchased the Sony nw-zx2 in April when they first became available...

You articulated so many of the same things I felt since getting the ZX2. Sure they can lose out in a particular area, but when looking at the whole, it's a darn impressive package. I really hope Sony won't get rid of the Android based OS for the next generation.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #9,467 of 14,755
I purchased the Sony nw-zx2 in April when they first became available. I returned my first one because it had short battery life. But i have use this player for months. It met all the needs I was seeking in a portable player. Great sound quality, well built, android based, streaming music, Audible books, large storage capacity and all day battery life. I have used it via Bluetooth to stream music to my home speaker.

But because i like the latest and greatest, i kept reading and searching for the Replacement, the player that would be better at all the things i loved about the Sony nw-zx2. There seemed to be challengers, so i waited and waited to buy them, but not one has the Combination of all the things i personally wanted from my portable player. I don't have headphones that are hard to drive, nor do i listen at super high volume levels so i dont need more power. And i wont sacrifice a little better sound quality for short battery life and no streaming. And streaming music is a must. I have been exposed to so many new Artist on Tidal since I've had the Sony. I store the music at its highest quality on the device and i put my ripped flac music on the 128 sd card.

I was listening to the Sony with my Oppo PM-3 today and the experience was so delightful that i really just started to appreciate just what a technical achievement that Sony pulled off. This is just a Great Portable music player. All my headphones sound amazing with it, Westone W60, Phillips Fidelio X2 and now the Oppo PM 3. Of course, i could add the Chord Mojo for home use, and some day i will. But i just wanted to praise this wonderful device.

Bravo to Sony.

You can still get more out of the Sony ZX2, for $8 (i think) you can upgrade to a TRRS Balanced on the Oppo PM3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/2535#post_11937560

Here the cable
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLTXJIU/

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #9,470 of 14,755
Totally agree. Other devices might win on individual points but as a whole package I have not found anything to beat it

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #9,471 of 14,755
I purchased the Sony nw-zx2 in April when they first became available. I returned my first one because it had short battery life. But i have use this player for months. It met all the needs I was seeking in a portable player. Great sound quality, well built, android based, streaming music, Audible books, large storage capacity and all day battery life. I have used it via Bluetooth to stream music to my home speaker.

But because i like the latest and greatest, i kept reading and searching for the Replacement, the player that would be better at all the things i loved about the Sony nw-zx2. There seemed to be challengers, so i waited and waited to buy them, but not one has the Combination of all the things i personally wanted from my portable player. I don't have headphones that are hard to drive, nor do i listen at super high volume levels so i dont need more power. And i wont sacrifice a little better sound quality for short battery life and no streaming. And streaming music is a must. I have been exposed to so many new Artist on Tidal since I've had the Sony. I store the music at its highest quality on the device and i put my ripped flac music on the 128 sd card.

I was listening to the Sony with my Oppo PM-3 today and the experience was so delightful that i really just started to appreciate just what a technical achievement that Sony pulled off. This is just a Great Portable music player. All my headphones sound amazing with it, Westone W60, Phillips Fidelio X2 and now the Oppo PM 3. Of course, i could add the Chord Mojo for home use, and some day i will. But i just wanted to praise this wonderful device.

Bravo to Sony.

I have to totally agree with you ! I've had my ZX2 for 3 weeks now. I own other DAP's ( A Sony HAP-S1, too, which is fantastic for home hi-fi use. ) but I never heard anything as amazing as the ZX2 !! The sound reproduction, is like nothing I've EVER heard before !!! Now being able to hear details in the music, that you couldn't previously before.
Presently I'm listening with Sony MDR-1RNC headphones, tried with Fiio E12 amp, but find I don't need this, infact prefer it without. Flac files sound SO GOOD, but where I find the magic really begins, is listening to Hi Res files. Ok, you're losing storage space, but it's totally worth it ! In audio terms, the ZX2 is LIFE CHANGING !
I've been thinking of buying the OPPO PM-3's for sometime now. ( or the Sony Z7's ) & your feedback is certainly swaying me towards the PM-3's.
I've just got a constant broad smile, outwardly & inwardly, when listening to my ZX2 !!

You can still get more out of the Sony ZX2, for $8 (i think) you can upgrade to a TRRS Balanced on the Oppo PM3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/2535#post_11937560

Here the cable
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLTXJIU/

Thank you for that information. Is that definitely right, because I have got the impression that TRRS cables are generally far more expensive ! ??

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #9,472 of 14,755
Note that if you take a digital signal out of the ZX-2's WM port (into a Mojo for example) the battery life plummets like crazy. That was one main reason I sold my ZX-2

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #9,473 of 14,755
I have to totally agree with you ! I've had my ZX2 for 3 weeks now. I own other DAP's ( A Sony HAP-S1, too, which is fantastic for home hi-fi use. ) but I never heard anything as amazing as the ZX2 !! The sound reproduction, is like nothing I've EVER heard before !!! Now being able to ear details in the music, that you couldn't previously before.
Presently I'm listening with Sony MDR-1RNC headphones, tried with Fiio E12 amp, but find I don't need this, infact prefer it without. Flac files sound SO GOOD, but where I find the magic really begins, is listening to Hi Res files. Ok, you're losing storage space, but it's totally worth it ! In audio terms, the ZX2 is LIFE CHANGING !
I've been thinking of buying the OPPO PM-3's for sometime now. ( or the Sony Z7's ) & your feedback is certainly swaying me towards the PM-3's.
I've just got a constant broad smile, outwardly & inwardly, when listening to my ZX2 !!

Thank you for that information. Is that definitely right, because I have got the impression that TRRS cables are generally far more expensive ! ??

TRRS is not expensive if it was just regular copper wire, which should be enough for you to hear the improvements. If you upgrade to better material cables, it would even be more obvious. You want to hear details in your music ? Buy th900 and has removable cables or recable it to TRRS. Never heard of pm-3, but I avoided buying it just because generally "planar-magnetic" doesn't have the spherical (bulged-up) diaphragm, it doesn't have the micro-dynamics details that I love. Planar-magnetic and electro static are similar and even electro static can feel more dynamics and better soundstage, nothing beats a real "dynamic drivers" in term of micro dynamic and tonal density. The best of the dynamic I have had is MDR-sa5000 (need lots of mods), and fostex th900 with removable cables for TRRS connection.

Z7 has the musical, fluidity, mid-bass body, soundstage that is mind drooling and jaw dropping, but it also need mods. Anyways, whatever you ends up purchased, you would get the best out of zx2 by TRRS, and don't forget to "disable the sound adjustment app"

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #9,474 of 14,755
Note that if you take a digital signal out of the ZX-2's WM port (into a Mojo for example) the battery life plummets like crazy. That was one main reason I sold my ZX-2

Energy only convert from one form to another, if this happened, where did all the energy go ? Into the quality transportation ? Sound quality ? Or what

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #9,475 of 14,755
Energy only convert from one form to another, if this happened, where did all the energy go ? Into the quality transportation ? Sound quality ? Or what

Better qualified people than I will explain to you. It's a fact though.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #9,476 of 14,755
TRRS is not expensive if it was just regular copper wire, which should be enough for you to hear the improvements. If you upgrade to better material cables, it would even be more obvious. You want to hear details in your music ? Buy th900 and has removable cables or recable it to TRRS. Never heard of pm-3, but I avoided buying it just because generally "planar-magnetic" doesn't have the spherical (bulged-up) diaphragm, it doesn't have the micro-dynamics details that I love. Planar-magnetic and electro static are similar and even electro static can feel more dynamics and better soundstage, nothing beats a real "dynamic drivers" in term of micro dynamic and tonal density. The best of the dynamic I have had is MDR-sa5000 (need lots of mods), and fostex th900 with removable cables for TRRS connection.

Z7 has the musical, fluidity, mid-bass body, soundstage that is mind drooling and jaw dropping, but it also need mods. Anyways, whatever you ends up purchased, you would get the best out of zx2 by TRRS, and don't forget to "disable the sound adjustment
Thanks for your feedback.....I've read so many good things about the PM-3's, and when seeing there is a easily available cable, made me wonder if this was a good option ? I wouldn't even know where to begin with "modding" something, & if it's a fiddly task. ( I am disabled. ) then that's a no, no. Either way, I must experience TRRS. For the price, I might order the cable, to see if it works with my MDR-1NC headphones. Probably doubtful ??

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #9,479 of 14,755
Yeah, from the sound of it pm-3 will be your best bet
biggrin.gif
. Enjoy TRRS and zx2

I'll have a serious thought about it, but appreciate your feedback about the difference between planar & drivers in other headphones.

( I assume the Fostex th900's are super duper expensive ! ? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back