SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #29,956 of 45,723
I try older firmware recently. Start from 1.0.2 all the way up to 3.0.2 and so far I like 1.2 the most. It reminded me of older walkmans I used to own. Very smooth, warmth and analog.

+1 for me 1.2 is the best, but I also love 3.0.1 as I like how it creates dB faster and scrolling is fast and I think it improves slightly on 1.2. Having said that you have peaked my interest to switch back .. I will do that soon..

try 3.01 with DSEE hx settings on strings .. it is very good

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #29,958 of 45,723
I'm sure you can't just change SQ by adding or removing codes. I know some programming. Useless it's intentional by Sony. I believe it's good that you can choose which sound signature you prefer. Not all iem's and headphones are sound the same. Some are warmer and some are brighter than another. All 1.x firmware are on the warmth and analog side. 2.x still on the warm side with better soundstage and high. 3.x even larger soundstage with more holographic like and more mid-high to high. So choose which firmware works best to your liking.

I’m sure as well, it would be terrible product quality, that the sound changes every time you updated it.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #29,959 of 45,723
Has another confirmed with Sony that each of the FW has a different sound? It is hard for me to believe they would play with the sound that way. Sony is not new at this and should have the sound finalized before mass production.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #29,960 of 45,723
Ibasso dx90 is known to have sq change for every firmware. I tried fw rolling on that device when I had it before and to be honest I had a hard time really choosing my bet so i just stayed at the latest fw.

Same here at my 1a. But currently on 3.01 and have not reverted back to 3.02.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #29,962 of 45,723
is this the mexican dude that just posts for the sake of posting ? if so, just block/unfollow him

i did so some years back and got peace of mind - first time i block someone anywhere, cause he is a huge source of spam

Yeah, that's him. Posting about how he's about to lose his home because he can't afford the rent. Nearly went bankrupt buying the 1A and wants everyone, everyday, to know he has one. DAP is totally out of his league. Thanks for the ignore tip though

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #29,963 of 45,723
Yeah, that's him. Posting about how he's about to lose his home because he can't afford the rent. Nearly went bankrupt buying the 1A and wants everyone, everyday, to know he has one. DAP is totally out of his league. Thanks for the ignore tip though
Well, you got the name wrong, there’s no user with that name. And haven’t seen any pictures posted lately.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #29,964 of 45,723
Has another confirmed with Sony that each of the FW has a different sound? It is hard for me to believe they would play with the sound that way. Sony is not new at this and should have the sound finalized before mass production.

Exactly, that would be very unprofessional, if you buy an “audiophile” product, you do it for the sound. It can’t be changing every time they need to publish and update.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #29,965 of 45,723
3.02 is a clear step up in sq from 3.01 with my 1Z/HD660s in balanced. Better textured bass, highs reach higher and more holographic/better imaging. Sound still reminds me of my old cassette walkmans but only better in everything. Very musical!

I have tried all fw's and have noticed smaller or larger changes in sound in each one of them. Sony continues to develop and improve their players with fw changes!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #29,967 of 45,723
Sony rep in Osaka, e-earphone owner said that's absurd and must be just the sound settings if anything besides human thought processing. If Sony did change sound quality / behavior, it would be mentioned in what they mentioned in patch notes

Well, I am not alone in my observations..

Whether people like a specific FW seems to be then often dependant on type of player 1A or 1Z, type of IEM/headphone, balanced or not, cable used, gain setting etc etc.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #29,968 of 45,723
Exactly, that would be very unprofessional, if you buy an “audiophile” product, you do it for the sound. It can’t be changing every time they need to publish and update.
i dont think they're bad products just because sonic changes while.updating software. I know is annoying because you don't know what to expect. This is strange because on older walkmans the sound didn't change with firmware updates.

I have always tought that the S-master chip didnt had registers for bass, mid and highs, unlike a traditional dac chip. Sony my theory is they're playing with the sound for a major update coming possibly in 2020?

By the way that @riotgrrl is a nazi American who likes Donald Trump as. I've threatened him

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #29,969 of 45,723
Oct 9, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #29,970 of 45,723
I was curious about what type of chip Sony uses for the dac.
So it is an custom chip?
Yes their own design. It is a digital.amplifier rather than the traditional DAC, it means the worth the S-master the DSP effects, volume control is made.n the digital domain before.passing through the analog amp stage. Unlike a traditional sac, some dps are applied as well the volume control when the signal is already analog state, hence the cleanliness of the sound signal produced by the WM walkmans.

It's rare for sony to use off-the-xounter DAC but have done with the PHA-3 (Wolfson) and the DMP-Z1 (AKM)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back