1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. meomap
    I am still on 1.2

2. Pablovi
    I’m sure as well, it would be terrible product quality, that the sound changes every time you updated it.

3. HiFiGuy528
    Has another confirmed with Sony that each of the FW has a different sound? It is hard for me to believe they would play with the sound that way. Sony is not new at this and should have the sound finalized before mass production.

phonomat, llamaluv and Pablovi like this.
  4. lesale08
    Ibasso dx90 is known to have sq change for every firmware. I tried fw rolling on that device when I had it before and to be honest I had a hard time really choosing my bet so i just stayed at the latest fw.

Same here at my 1a. But currently on 3.01 and have not reverted back to 3.02.

5. endlesswaves
    Missed the warmer and fuller FW3.01 but hesitated to roll back from FW3.02 due to the improvements in airier and wider soundstage and a little bit extra details that's not as easily perceived. I am using WM1A.

DatDudeNic, RobertP and lesale08 like this.
  6. riotgrrl
    Yeah, that's him. Posting about how he's about to lose his home because he can't afford the rent. Nearly went bankrupt buying the 1A and wants everyone, everyday, to know he has one. DAP is totally out of his league. Thanks for the ignore tip though

7. Pablovi
    Well, you got the name wrong, there’s no user with that name. And haven’t seen any pictures posted lately.

8. Pablovi
    Exactly, that would be very unprofessional, if you buy an “audiophile” product, you do it for the sound. It can’t be changing every time they need to publish and update.

9. flyer1
    3.02 is a clear step up in sq from 3.01 with my 1Z/HD660s in balanced. Better textured bass, highs reach higher and more holographic/better imaging. Sound still reminds me of my old cassette walkmans but only better in everything. Very musical!

I have tried all fw's and have noticed smaller or larger changes in sound in each one of them. Sony continues to develop and improve their players with fw changes!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Steen Pihl likes this.
  10. djricekcn
    Sony rep in Osaka, e-earphone owner said that's absurd and must be just the sound settings if anything besides human thought processing. If Sony did change sound quality / behavior, it would be mentioned in what they mentioned in patch notes

llamaluv, Pablovi and Sp12er3 like this.
  11. flyer1
    Well, I am not alone in my observations..

Whether people like a specific FW seems to be then often dependant on type of player 1A or 1Z, type of IEM/headphone, balanced or not, cable used, gain setting etc etc.

12. gerelmx1986
    i dont think they're bad products just because sonic changes while.updating software. I know is annoying because you don't know what to expect. This is strange because on older walkmans the sound didn't change with firmware updates.

I have always tought that the S-master chip didnt had registers for bass, mid and highs, unlike a traditional dac chip. Sony my theory is they're playing with the sound for a major update coming possibly in 2020?

By the way that @riotgrrl is a nazi American who likes Donald Trump as. I've threatened him

Sp12er3 likes this.
  13. Maxx134
    I was curious about what type of chip Sony uses for the dac.
    So it is an custom chip?

14. gerelmx1986
    Yes their own design. It is a digital.amplifier rather than the traditional DAC, it means the worth the S-master the DSP effects, volume control is made.n the digital domain before.passing through the analog amp stage. Unlike a traditional sac, some dps are applied as well the volume control when the signal is already analog state, hence the cleanliness of the sound signal produced by the WM walkmans.

It's rare for sony to use off-the-xounter DAC but have done with the PHA-3 (Wolfson) and the DMP-Z1 (AKM)

Sp12er3 and Maxx134 like this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    My ideas are that Sony is learning how to slowly make improvements with new firmware. It’s always going to be an end sound which is dependent on complete synergy with all equipment used. Success is subjective if the firmware has the tone someone is looking for. It’s a very different sound in comparison to 1.02 now. We know the changes as there is a group consensus about what each new firmware brings. These ideas are outside of what would be noted with different IEMs and desired taste, so we know the changes are fairly drastic. Though it’s also understandable some individuals seem to not notice sound differences between DACs or different firmwares. Just because a few don’t notice does not verify the changes don’t take place. It’s really a fairly large impression across all parts of the world that changes take place.

Though maybe only 1.02, 3.01 and 2.0 were the only updates which were generally regarded as beneficial across both models. It tends to be an enigma where some firmware updates make only one player better, as it’s difficult to program a good sound to affect both players equally? IMO.

518013, RobertP, flyer1 and 1 other person like this.