SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #29,942 of 45,723
Has anyone noticed a clicking sound when switching between direct and not direct in balanced?

yes it’s the mechanical relays that cut the signal just like when changing between the 2 clocks to protect the ears from any artifacts due to the transition

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #29,943 of 45,723
I try older firmware recently. Start from 1.0.2 all the way up to 3.0.2 and so far I like 1.2 the most. It reminded me of older walkmans I used to own. Very smooth, warmth and analog.

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #29,944 of 45,723
I try older firmware recently. Start from 1.0.2 all the way up to 3.0.2 and so far I like 1.2 the most. It reminded me of older walkmans I used to own. Very smooth, warmth and analog.

which shows Sony's brilliance... they don't block you from downgrading if you prefer the sound signature of an older firmware

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #29,949 of 45,723
I'm not a programmer, but I would venture a guess that changes in the code would affect the output in various ways

Coding doesn’t affect the sound, unless you mean to. I’ve never heard updating any single audio device changes it sound. And I’ve had an audio server since 2010, it’s gone through multiple firmware updates and doesn’t change the sound one bit.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #29,950 of 45,723
Sony has not "updated" the WM series. I mean its been three years since their debut. Either sony is still brewing something with the tech of DMP-Z1 in pocket size, or they were intended as an unique products (special edition never to be released again).

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #29,951 of 45,723
I'm sure you can't just change SQ by adding or removing codes. I know some programming. Useless it's intentional by Sony. I believe it's good that you can choose which sound signature you prefer. Not all iem's and headphones are sound the same. Some are warmer and some are brighter than another. All 1.x firmware are on the warmth and analog side. 2.x still on the warm side with better soundstage and high. 3.x even larger soundstage with more holographic like and more mid-high to high. So choose which firmware works best to your liking.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #29,952 of 45,723
Coding doesn’t affect the sound, unless you mean to. I’ve never heard updating any single audio device changes it sound. And I’ve had an audio server since 2010, it’s gone through multiple firmware updates and doesn’t change the sound one bit.

It is fairly well known with many daps that fw updates change the sound. Any change in code could potentially change load on the processor and timing and thereby change the sound

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #29,954 of 45,723
AMPLIFICATION?. Can I ask 2 questions please, because there is no line out on the A1 how does the phone out go connecting it to a desktop AMP, is that how it works?....and what desktop AMPs are you guys using with the A1/Z1, is the Sony TAZ the best choice or?
Hi,
One of my usage below:
I use 1Z 3.5mm out to RCA ( AQ Victoria ) to
PrimaLuna DP Pre to
McIntosh 275 to
Magnepan 3.7i

Sounds clean and superb.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #29,955 of 45,723
AMPLIFICATION?. Can I ask 2 questions please, because there is no line out on the A1 how does the phone out go connecting it to a desktop AMP, is that how it works?....and what desktop AMPs are you guys using with the A1/Z1, is the Sony TAZ the best choice or?
Hi,
For HP usage:
1Z 3.5mm out RCA to
ALO Studio Six tube amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back