SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #28,906 of 45,723
I am still a bit confused over this. My understanding is that if the Tidal app on my iPhone is set to store/stream full resolution files (16/44) then even though it is wirelessly streaming via Bluetooth to my 1Z it is STILL USING the AAC codec within the stream. In other words the music files are being streamed AAC - so in reality they are not being received by the 1Z (and thus being sent to a wired headphone) as full uncompressed files. They are via the AAC codec - so by nature "compromised". Whether one hears a difference or not is a different story.

Am I understanding the technical concept correctly?

This is why I am connecting my iPhone to the 1Z via the Apple CCK/USB cable.

That is correct. Alternative for BT streaming is Android Phone with LDAC which would be lossless 16/44 bit rate.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #28,907 of 45,723
Hey guys, i'm curious and this might sound stupid but do you guys bring the 1A/1Z out on the streets or this is mainly for home listening?

and also i may have missed previous posts about music streaming apps with it but just needed to clarify if it's possible? for eg. phone pairs 1A/1Z via bluetooth and output spotify with it
I bring my 1A everywhere. And yes, that's how you use a streaming service on your A/Z.

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #28,908 of 45,723
I am still a bit confused over this. My understanding is that if the Tidal app on my iPhone is set to store/stream full resolution files (16/44) then even though it is wirelessly streaming via Bluetooth to my 1Z it is STILL USING the AAC codec within the stream. In other words the music files are being streamed AAC - so in reality they are not being received by the 1Z (and thus being sent to a wired headphone) as full uncompressed files. They are via the AAC codec - so by nature "compromised". Whether one hears a difference or not is a different story.

Am I understanding the technical concept correctly?

This is why I am connecting my iPhone to the 1Z via the Apple CCK/USB cable.

Yes you are perfectly right as aac is the best an iPhone or iPad can do over BT

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #28,909 of 45,723
Hey guys, i'm curious and this might sound stupid but do you guys bring the 1A/1Z out on the streets or this is mainly for home listening?

and also i may have missed previous posts about music streaming apps with it but just needed to clarify if it's possible? for eg. phone pairs 1A/1Z via bluetooth and output spotify with it

I use the 1A everywhere.
Paired to a Galaxy Note 9 via LDAC for Tidal
Paired to RHA CL2 with BT cable
Wired to RHA CL2 or DM7 via custom OFC cable terminated in 4.4
On airplanes connected via BT receiver to a BT transmitter for watching movies/shows on the IFE

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #28,910 of 45,723
That is correct. Alternative for BT streaming is Android Phone with LDAC which would be lossless 16/44 bit rate.

Thank you (and others who replied).

New question - I am exclusively all in Apple.
Is there an Android phone which I can purchase and use exclusively for Tidal Bluetooth streaming to my 1Z (I would not activate the cellular capabilities and only use it at home on my WiFi network).

I realize it is a bit extravagant to purchase a phone to use exclusively for Tidal streaming and that the only advantage over my iPhone XS is the ability to lose the CCK/USB cable - however I am interested in asking.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #28,911 of 45,723

Is there an Android phone which I can purchase and use exclusively for Tidal Bluetooth streaming to my 1Z (I would not activate the cellular capabilities and only use it at home on my WiFi network).

I realize it is a bit extravagant to purchase a phone to use exclusively for Tidal streaming and that the only advantage over my iPhone XS is the ability to lose the CCK/USB cable - however I am interested in asking.

Certainly! Any Android phone with 8.0 or later should have LDAC since that is when it was integrated into the OS. Personally I would stick with brand names but ironically, some of the lower priced phones are from the Sony Xperia line because they never sold well, but have good quality. Smartphones work perfectly fine with Wifi only. You may also want to make sure you buy an Android phone that works on your network and also uses Nano SIM. This way you can simply take your SIM card from your iPhone and use it on the Android phone if the need ever arises - like maybe you are going overseas for a while and don't want to risk getting your iPhone stolen.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #28,912 of 45,723
Bflat
Thanks for that.
I would think a Sony branded phone would be keeping it "all in the family" with the 1Z.
Any cheap ones you recommend which will still provide a quality experience?

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #28,913 of 45,723

I use either a Galaxy Note 9 or the Google Pixel 3. Both have LDAC. I think the well reviewed Pixel 3A has LDAC as well, and a killer camera.
Also we are maybe 2 weeks from the Galaxy Note 10 being announced, you should be able to get a G Note 9 at a good price once it’s announced

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #28,914 of 45,723

FIIO M6 DAP is $150 and has WiFi and LDAC. And, it looks really small and cute.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #28,915 of 45,723
Jul 26, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #28,916 of 45,723
Comparing the WM1A to the RME ADI-2 DAC iem output.
The ADI-2 has better resolution, taller stage, better separation, sounds come from all directions, more extended than the WM1A.

WM1A has a more true to life tonality, and is a hell of a lot more fun to listen to.

The ADI-2 Dac does almost all the technicalities better, but with at least this iem, it just misses out on the essence of the music.

Only caveat being WM1A is connected to my 4.4mm PW Audio 1960s cable, and ADI-2 is using the 3.5mm OEM cable.

Such is synergy, mostly missed by graphs and numbers.
Have to make a correction. Played around with JRiver headphone settings, and the iem output from this DAC is jawdropping. Perfect match with my iem.
Probably the best dac/amp combo on the market, at its price point (2000 dollar range) It's an absolute must hear item.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #28,918 of 45,723
ahhh good to see someone in similar situation! what are you listening to the WMA1 with? and what music do you listen to?
1, I dont have a case any more, had the walkman case from dignis sold to me by @nc8000 . But my husband decided to wash it on the wash machine, crap happened, it came out destroyed.
2. I've already have fw 3.01 fantastic firmware, sounds good, packed with many features.
3. I did have the mdr-Z7, and xba-z5, these two I had an adapter from dual 3.5mm to.male 4.4. I no longer have these, right now the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R have stock 4.4 cables of good quality.
4. Mine has around 6500 hours of use, battery still kicking like new.
5. I listen to classical music, all FLAC, Hi-res FLAC and DSD

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #28,919 of 45,723
1, I dont have a case any more, had the walkman case from dignis sold to me by @nc8000 . But my husband decided to wash it on the wash machine, **** happened, it came out destroyed.
2. I've already have fw 3.01 fantastic firmware, sounds good, packed with many features.
3. I did have the mdr-Z7, and xba-z5, these two I had an adapter from dual 3.5mm to.male 4.4. I no longer have these, right now the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R have stock 4.4 cables of good quality.
4. Mine has around 6500 hours of use, battery still kicking like new.
5. I listen to classical music, all FLAC, Hi-res FLAC and DSD

Awesome. Ive spent so much this week...bought the DAP, a pair of Andromedas and a 4.4 cable...Im broke for a good while! Keep checking the tracking of all my items like a madman XD My gf is loving her upgrade of her ZX1 to my old ZX2 though!

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #28,920 of 45,723
1, I dont have a case any more, had the walkman case from dignis sold to me by @nc8000 . But my husband decided to wash it on the wash machine, **** happened, it came out destroyed.
BF25DC65-8EF9-4654-9014-79FEAC0AD164.jpeg

I feel your pain. I gather it was an accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back