SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #28,878 of 45,723
Oh, im new to 4.4. 100%. Every single DAP ive used has only been 3.5mm. Is there a bible where i can read the differences or like a beginner guide to 4.4 and why i should use?

exciting
The simple part: Balanced output (4.4) has more power, More Power is More Dynamics.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #28,879 of 45,723
Oh, im new to 4.4. 100%. Every single DAP ive used has only been 3.5mm. Is there a bible where i can read the differences or like a beginner guide to 4.4 and why i should use?

exciting
Yup 4.4mm. This player is designed around the 4.4mm balanced out.
Better dynamics, power, depth, soundstage, pretty much everything else.
Also needs 200 hours if burn in.
My preferred mode of play is, Direct sound off, and all DSP setting also off.
This reduces mid bass, and increases resolution and separation.
Other than that, enjoy.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #28,880 of 45,723
Yup 4.4mm. This player is designed around the 4.4mm balanced out.
Better dynamics, power, depth, soundstage, pretty much everything else.
My preferred mode of play is, Direct sound off, and all DSP setting also off.
This reduces mid bass, and increases resolution and separation.
Other than that, enjoy.

Thank you! I use my ZX2 in the same way. Untouched audio no funny business settings. 200 hours. Gotcha. Did see that, good to know its confirmed here.

Im currently using Westone w60s. Im quite fond of them-however, am open to suggestions on an upgrade! I tried out the Andromeda 2019s yesterday. I liked them! Any others i should be on the look for?

Mainly listen to Alt rock, electronic, prog house and ambient

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #28,881 of 45,723

exciting
Sony basically built this player around the 4.4 jack. It has its own set of caps on the PCB board, separate from the 3.5mm jack, which is honestly kind of just there because it’s the most common audio jack. If you want the most out of your 1A it’s going to be out of the 4.4.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #28,882 of 45,723
So I just got my IER M9 to pair with my 1Z.

I don't know if it's the player; or the headphones; or the balanced out; or some secret sauce voodoo combination of the three.

But I'm hearing stuff in my music that I've never heard in my previous ZX2+XBA Z5.

New sparkly banjo in Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me"; new bass guitar riffage in Mudvayne's "A World So Cold"; new French horn soul in Handel's Water Music; new cymbal and hi-hat in Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" - list goes on and on.

Mind is blown.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #28,883 of 45,723

I don't know if it's the player; or the headphones; or the balanced out; or some secret sauce voodoo combination of the three.

But I'm hearing stuff in my music that I've never heard in my previous ZX2+XBA Z5.

New sparkly banjo in Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me"; new bass guitar riffage in Mudvayne's "A World So Cold"; new French horn soul in Handel's Water Music; new cymbal and hi-hat in Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" - list goes on and on.

Mind is blown.

My mind is blown that another with such eclectic music taste exists! I can go from Mudvayne or Lamb of God straight to Kenny G

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #28,884 of 45,723
Thank you! I use my ZX2 in the same way. Untouched audio no funny business settings. 200 hours. Gotcha. Did see that, good to know its confirmed here.

Im currently using Westone w60s. Im quite fond of them-however, am open to suggestions on an upgrade! I tried out the Andromeda 2019s yesterday. I liked them! Any others i should be on the look for?

Mainly listen to Alt rock, electronic, prog house and ambient
I don't know if you have ever heard a magnepan speaker. It's a planar magnetic speaker, people either love it or hate it.
The RHA CL2 I use, sounds exactly like my Magnepan speaker system( identical tuning and presentation) I hear almost no difference between the two when I take my iems off. That is extremely impressive, at least to me, others may disagree.
If you like BA drivers, cannot go wrong with the Andromeda, its a classic.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #28,885 of 45,723

Mind is blown.
There’s definitely something special about pairing a Sony player with a Sony IEM. You get a really strong sense of synergy between the two, which honestly befits the whole “signature series” thing they’ve been pushing.

I really sound like a hardcore Sony shill don’t I?

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #28,886 of 45,723
I don't know if you have ever heard a magnepan speaker. It's a planar magnetic speaker, people either love it or hate it.
The RHA CL2 I use, sounds exactly like my Magnepan speaker system( identical tuning and presentation) I hear almost no difference between the two when I take my iems off. That is extremely impressive, at least to me, others may disagree.
If you like BA drivers, cannot go wrong with the Andromeda, its a classic.

Ahhhh so awesome. Yeah the Andromedas sounded stunning with the tracks i demo'ed. Cant wait for the player to arrive!

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #28,887 of 45,723
D0BAFE92-1D5D-4BF0-ACCA-D12EAA5D4348.png
There’s definitely something special about pairing a Sony player with a Sony IEM. You get a really strong sense of synergy between the two, which honestly befits the whole “signature series” thing they’ve been pushing.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #28,888 of 45,723
Ahhhh so awesome. Yeah the Andromedas sounded stunning with the tracks i demo'ed. Cant wait for the player to arrive!
Also remember. Update the player to firmware 3.01 if it's not already updated.
It's by far the best sounding firmware.
Other than that. Enjoy.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #28,889 of 45,723
Talking about burn in, I wish next WM1A/1Z firmware update will show balanced and unbalanced operation duration. As i listen to unbalanced output sometimes.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #28,890 of 45,723

Yes you are :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back