1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Lookout57
    I think the best way to describe it as natural and effortless that you just get lost in the emotion of the music instead of hearing the details. This also seems to be the Campfire house sound of the Solaris.

To me the 1Z/Solaris with the ALO Gold 16 cable is my goto combo. I just get lost in the sound and can listen forever.

2. emrelights1973
    Just one drop we all see how portable it is..... this is desktop amp with batteries, any other use is stretching and looking like mega geek..... you will kill your slim changes to get a girl friend:)

So get a nice 1A and Stick to it while Walking around.... i use sr15, Great litrelik DAP, more than enough when you are in a subway or bus

Or even Fiio m11...

İf you have a summer House that you will spend more than week than you can bring the toy with you

Whitigir likes this.
  3. phonomat
    It's not a desktop amp, it's a portable/transportable/mobile/whateveryouwannacallit integrated all-in-one player/amp combo that can run on batteries for a pretty decent amount of time, giving you a pretty decent amount of freedom. You can use it in different rooms of your house independent of power outlets, in the attic, on the balcony, in the garden, in hotel rooms, in the woods, on the golf course, on planes, trains, automobiles, heck, even on a bicycle, if you're so inclined. Would I lug it around in a case? Most certainly not (if only out of fear to scratch an almost $10,000 device), but that doesn't change the fact that you could. Good luck trying that with a player/desktop amp stack of your choice. Of course you can do all that and more with a "normal" dap, but there are people whose first directive is sound quality, and that's the target audience of this device. Not a whole lot more to it really.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Quasimodosbelfry
    Hmmm I wonder... What would a WA7 look like in a leather harness? Hmmmm...

5. bflat
    Well, Rob Watts carries around a Chord MScaler plus a huge battery pack for power when he travels. That's in addition to his Hugo 2 and laptop.

Who else remembers the days when stacking was the way to go for portable? The "best" stack was an AK240 as transport, Hugo for DAC, and Bakoon portable amp. Ironically that stack in today's dollars is about the same as the DMP.

IMG_2766.jpg

NickL33, Whitigir and Quadfather like this.
  6. nc8000 Contributor
    I travelled with an iRiver H-140 going optical out to an iBasso D10

7. Quadfather

Seems cumbersome to me, but everybody has their preference and should pursue it. For me, it's a single piece driving a headphone it's capable of driving, or it stays home.

KuroKitsu likes this.
  8. Quadfather
    Out of all my headphones, I believe my Shure SRH1540 headphones pair best with Sony NW-WM1A. They beat out HD650, AKG K812, and ATH-MSR7...

9. gazzington
    What about your questyle and lpg?

Quadfather likes this.
  10. Quadfather
    The AKGs are best on the QP1R. The 1540s are great on the LPG...AKG good too. HD650 is not very good on the LPG. The LPG and the QP1R both have better resolution than the Sony, but for whatever reason, I much prefer the sound of the Sony

11. KuroKitsu
    "There's just something about Sony..." Literally the reason why we're all here.

Steen Pihl and Quadfather like this.
  12. Kitechaser
    Comparing the WM1A to the RME ADI-2 DAC iem output.
    The ADI-2 has better resolution, taller stage, better separation, sounds come from all directions, more extended than the WM1A.

WM1A has a more true to life tonality, and is a hell of a lot more fun to listen to.

The ADI-2 Dac does almost all the technicalities better, but with at least this iem, it just misses out on the essence of the music.

Only caveat being WM1A is connected to my 4.4mm PW Audio 1960s cable, and ADI-2 is using the 3.5mm OEM cable.

Such is synergy, mostly missed by graphs and numbers.

KuroKitsu, Quadfather and captblaze like this.
  13. Quadfather
    Does anybody on this thread have and use both the 1A and 1Z?

14. captblaze
    I own both and would concur with you assessment.

the way the Sony presents the music is a less clinical way, although both allow sound bending in their own way which can help over come some mismatches (not all)

15. Jalo
    I have owned the 1A and two 1Z even though I have sold my 1A and one 1Z now to make room for the SP2000. The 1Z is my most favorite dap the only wish I have is more wattage. I have listened to the dmp since last August no less than 20 times, I think it sounds great but I like the SP2000 strictly on sound alone.

Quadfather likes this.