SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #28,891 of 45,723
hi all :) long time lurker first time poster. Just bought me an WM1A after my wifes ZX1 died and i agreed to pass on my ZX2 to her. Very excited :) am i in for a very nice upgrade with this from the ZX2? any specific things i should watch out for? Australian/asian model, btw so no volume cap iirc :)
Get case and screen protector.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #28,892 of 45,723
Hey guys, i'm curious and this might sound stupid but do you guys bring the 1A/1Z out on the streets or this is mainly for home listening?

and also i may have missed previous posts about music streaming apps with it but just needed to clarify if it's possible? for eg. phone pairs 1A/1Z via bluetooth and output spotify with it

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #28,893 of 45,723
Hey guys, i'm curious and this might sound stupid but do you guys bring the 1A/1Z out on the streets or this is mainly for home listening?
Mainly outdoor use
and also i may have missed previous posts about music streaming apps with it but just needed to clarify if it's possible? for eg. phone pairs 1A/1Z via bluetooth and output spotify with it
That’s possible.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #28,894 of 45,723
Jul 26, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #28,895 of 45,723

Out and about I use my iPhone and BT in ears. The 1Z is primarily for hotel room use on work travel and hollidays

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #28,896 of 45,723

I dont have mine yet but i will use it outdoors everywhere i go like i did with ZX1 and ZX2 XD. They become a part of me

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #28,897 of 45,723

Yep it is possible. I use the BT receiver function a lot and find little to no loss in quality when streaming flac files from my phone.

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #28,898 of 45,723
Thanks for the replies guys! I will want to bring it out if i were to own one but i'm just worried that might be too cumbersome. I guess it'll be all worth it when i get a chance to audition this beautiful brick. Is there a specific format for the SD card for it to read? Apparently I got a hold on the 1Z early this year but it couldn't read my SD card for some reason. My card is in exFat. Any thoughts on this?

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #28,899 of 45,723
Thanks for the replies guys! I will want to bring it out if i were to own one but i'm just worried that might be too cumbersome. I guess it'll be all worth it when i get a chance to audition this beautiful brick. Is there a specific format for the SD card for it to read? Apparently I got a hold on the 1Z early this year but it couldn't read my SD card for some reason. My card is in exFat. Any thoughts on this?
My card was formatted to ExFat for the longest time and it had no problems reading it. Most likely the issue is that you need to have all your files stored under a folder labeled MUSIC in the root directory in order for the 1Z to pick up your files.

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #28,900 of 45,723
My card was formatted to ExFat for the longest time and it had no problems reading it. Most likely the issue is that you need to have all your files stored under a folder labeled MUSIC in the root directory in order for the 1Z to pick up your files.
Ah i see. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #28,901 of 45,723

For me personally, the 1Z would be far too heavy for that, but I use my 1A outside frequently (even if it's already on the heavy side for a dap).

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #28,902 of 45,723
You have no problem bring 1A with you anytime, but I suggest to use iem instead of hp.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #28,903 of 45,723
hi all :) long time lurker first time poster. Just bought me an WM1A after my wifes ZX1 died and i agreed to pass on my ZX2 to her. Very excited :) am i in for a very nice upgrade with this from the ZX2? any specific things i should watch out for? Australian/asian model, btw so no volume cap iirc :)

also moved from zx2 to wm1a , the upgrade is real

1 - get screen protector / case.
2- install FW 3.01
3 - get a good 4.4 cable
4 - burn wm1a in for 200 (and up to 500) hours
5 - enjoy music

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #28,905 of 45,723
Yep it is possible. I use the BT receiver function a lot and find little to no loss in quality when streaming flac files from my phone.

I am still a bit confused over this. My understanding is that if the Tidal app on my iPhone is set to store/stream full resolution files (16/44) then even though it is wirelessly streaming via Bluetooth to my 1Z it is STILL USING the AAC codec within the stream. In other words the music files are being streamed AAC - so in reality they are not being received by the 1Z (and thus being sent to a wired headphone) as full uncompressed files. They are via the AAC codec - so by nature "compromised". Whether one hears a difference or not is a different story.

Am I understanding the technical concept correctly?

This is why I am connecting my iPhone to the 1Z via the Apple CCK/USB cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back