SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #28,081 of 45,723
Maybe the E5000's are a bit of a €250 hidden gem as well? I admit they were an impulse buy for me after remembering only a few positive remarks on them here and curiosity got the hang of me.

To name a couple my qdc Anole V3 is actually known for being slightly less detailed than others in it’s $500-$550 price point. The bass is good as well as it’s a good fitting IEM. The 1Z treble makes it better and the soundstage adds to the IEMs soundstage.

The Z5, even though I was belittling it, sounds dramatically improved with the 1Z treble; as the 1Z offers both authority and treble pizzazz!

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #28,082 of 45,723
Probably the reason for that is "card almost full" and the playlist maybe is being saved also in the card. Try to remove some albums from the card and observe or to reformat your card using the player and repopulate your files.

I guess you are right, will try. I'm forced to create 2 playlists depending on where the song is stored, card or player but not sure where playlists are saved. Anyway, thanks.

May 27, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #28,083 of 45,723
I tried spotify as streamer to wm1z (as Bluetooth DAC).

the sound quality is not so good. do I need premium spotify for a good quality streamer or I can totally forget about BT streaming

May 27, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #28,084 of 45,723
I tried spotify as streamer to wm1z (as Bluetooth DAC).

the sound quality is not so good. do I need premium spotify for a good quality streamer or I can totally forget about BT streaming
LDAC can get upto 24/96, and that is high-resolutions. Don’t listen to all that crap about Bluetooth is compressed format and Flac is not....everything Digital in multibit and PCM are compressed, unless DSD which is Direct Stream Digital.

Tidal needs more money as high-res is the most expensive. I know QoBuz needs the highest monthly fees for high-res

However, streaming isn’t going to give you what you want...simply because the app and it algorithm sucks! Period...the reason why Sony only allow Bluetooth streaming is because doing this, at least Sony can interfere with their own DSP and help improve the experiences while avoiding WiFi interferences

Though, the best is to buy your own CD, rip what you want at the lowest compression possible.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #28,085 of 45,723
Yeah baby yeah
20190527_131157.jpg 20190527_131219.jpg
Mini me version of MDR-Z1R

May 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #28,088 of 45,723
I've been out of loop for latest DAPs for some time.

I just bought Sony IER-M9 for replazing my Z5. Right now I'm thinking of getting a DAP with 4.4mm balanced output.

I realized that WM1A has been out since 2016, and its smaller sibling (ZX300) was released in 2018.

Is it still worth it to get WM1A now? Considering that it was released few years ago, I assume that its successor would be released soon.

May 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #28,089 of 45,723

I just bought Sony IER-M9 for replazing my Z5. Right now I'm thinking of getting a DAP with 4.4mm balanced output.

I realized that WM1A has been out since 2016, and its smaller sibling (ZX300) was released in 2018.

Is it still worth it to get WM1A now? Considering that it was released few years ago, I assume that its successor would be released soon.

We don’t know when something new will be out. No one knows.

May 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #28,090 of 45,723

I like what I am hearing with my WM1A + IER-Z1R combo, very good resolution, and yes, like you, I come from xba-z5

May 27, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #28,091 of 45,723

IMHO, if you are interested in the WM1A, I would look for a good price in classified instead of buying new.

To be a DAP owner is like being a smartphone owner. There is a long runway of improvements that will come but not here today due to technological limitations. Additionally, DAPs are now seeing more brands enter the high end category when it use to be exclusively Astell Kern. Either you have the discipline to use your DAP for a 5+ year cycle or you go through enough upgrades while losing about 50% of your initial investment each time. Alternatively, if you don't mind being one generation behind, you can buy used DAPs on classified for a very good price, especially when a new model comes out and folks upgrade in mass. I think you will find that the DAP owners who upgrade frequently take immaculate care of their gear because they know they will end up selling with the next upgrade.

May 28, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #28,092 of 45,723
Can somebody please break down the sound differences between firmware 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1.
I am using 3.1, Direct Sound off and no DSP options on at the moment. I am finding the mid bass with direct sound to be a bit too much, to the point that it is drowning out micro details. I would like to know if prior firmwares would be better suited for me.
Thank you

Add: 3.0 is pretty bad, bass is weak, no textures. Onto 2.0.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #28,094 of 45,723
Can somebody please break down the sound differences between firmware 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1.
I am using 3.1, Direct Sound off and no DSP options on at the moment. I am finding the mid bass with direct sound to be a bit too much, to the point that it is drowning out micro details. I would like to know if prior firmwares would be better suited for me.
Thank you

Add: 3.0 is pretty bad, bass is weak, no textures. Onto 2.0.

I assume your using the 1A?

The player type should also be noted as the firmware is different sounding on each.

2.0 was fine with 1A, but was missing Bluetooth receiver option and DAC option. Also 3.0 introduced vinyl sound filter but 3.0 was unstable, also it took forever for the database to build.

3.01 was a huge jump in sound quality for the 1A over 3.0. Though it also changed the 1Z a little. Still many users use every firmware as it’s subjective which is best. Also remember people are using different IEMs which have different sounds.

But depending on your sound preference, nothing wrong with 2.0 as long as you don’t want the extras.

The only firmware you can’t go back to is 1.0 which came with the very first Walkman introductions. No one I think liked it anyway. But you even now have people liking the very first firmware revision over anything new.

But it’s strange that 1.0 is not around as you would think people may have needed it? Though the next update was fairly fast if I understand things.

As Walkman builds moved along newer ones actually came with newer firmware. I purchased mine in November 2017 just as 2.0 was about to be released. But now I run both the 1A and 1Z with 3.01 as I use the Bluetooth receiver function and like the sound otherwise. By most accounts here, 3.0 was not good with the 1A. That’s the group consensus, though it does not mean it’s right for all.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #28,095 of 45,723
I assume your using the 1A? The player type should also as the firmware is different on each.
Yes I am using the WM1A.

Add: Just tried 2.0, smaller stage, and glitchy UI. 3.01 is the best, by far.
So I'll stick to Direct Sound off, and no DSP options turned on. It suits me the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back