SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #28,096 of 45,723
I assume your using the 1A?

The player type should also be noted as the firmware is different sounding on each.

2.0 was fine with 1A, but was missing Bluetooth receiver option and DAC option. Also 3.0 introduced vinyl sound filter but 3.0 was unstable, also it took forever for the database to build.

3.01 was a huge jump in sound quality for the 1A over 3.0. Though it also changed the 1Z a little. Still many users use every firmware as it’s subjective which is best. Also remember people are using different IEMs which have different sounds.

But depending on your sound preference, nothing wrong with 2.0 as long as you don’t want the extras.

The only firmware you can’t go back to is 1.0 which came with the very first Walkman introductions. No one I think liked it anyway. But you even now have people liking the very first firmware revision over anything new.

But it’s strange that 1.0 is not around as you would think people may have needed it? Though the next update will as fairly fast if I understand things.

As Walkman builds moved along newer ones actually came with newer firmware. I purchased mine in November 2017 just as 2.0 was about to be released. But now I run both the 1A and 1Z with 3.01 as I use the Bluetooth receiver function as like the sound otherwise.
Thank you for this. I agree with everything you said. 2.0 outside of 3.01 is the best sounding to my ears, minus the smaller stage, it is lower on details than all the DSP options turned off including direct sound on the 3.01.
I found one of your earlier posts with a link to all the firmware updates, and the quick A/B test was pretty conclusive.
Crazy how much the sound on this DAP changes with firmware updates.

May 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #28,097 of 45,723
Thank you for this. I agree with everything you said. 2.0 outside of 3.01 is the best sounding to my ears, minus the smaller stage, it is lower on details than all the DSP options turned off including direct sound on the 3.01.
I found one of your earlier posts with a link to all the firmware updates, and the quick A/B test was pretty conclusive.
Crazy how much the sound on this DAP changes with firmware updates.

Ya, and when you think that most written reviews on the Walkmans were with early firmware? That’s the thing, who knew that they could continue to figure out how to make the players sound even better years after their release? It’s amazing!

The question is if you gel with 3.01; I do, though a few don’t. Also it was strange how big the jump was from 2.0. The question is.......how will 4.0 be?
Also we were wondering that there must have been a BT receiver chip installed always, just sitting there waiting to be activated. Lol :)

It’s all in the realm of computer game Easter Eggs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #28,098 of 45,723
Ya, and when you think that most written reviews on the Walkmans were with early firmware? That’s the thing, who knew that they could continue to figure out how to make the players sound even better years after their release? It’s amazing!

The question is if you gel with 3.01; I do, though a few don’t. Also it was strange how big the jump was from 2.0. The question is.......how will 4.0 be?
Also we were wondering that there must have been a BT receiver chip installed always, just sitting there waiting to be activated. Lol :)

It’s all in the realm of computer game Easter Eggs.
I just went on a whirlwind tour through 3 firmware updates, and the differences were not subtle, at least to my ears.
I really hope Sony keeps working on this player and there is in fact a 4.0. That'll be a nice surprise.
Like I said before in the thread, this player to my ears is still the leader in Sound Quality, it has been said it doesn't have power, yet I am driving a planar iem that is a power hog, and it is not lacking in any dynamics. Outside of the DMP-Z1, I don't know of a better pairing.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #28,099 of 45,723
I just went on a whirlwind tour through 3 firmware updates, and the differences were not subtle, at least to my ears.
I really hope Sony keeps working on this player and there is in fact a 4.0. That'll be a nice surprise.
Like I said before in the thread, this player to my ears is still the leader in Sound Quality, it has been said it doesn't have power, yet I am driving a planar iem that is a power hog, and it is not lacking in any dynamics. Outside of the DMP-Z1, I don't know of a better pairing.

Add: I am at Low gain 90/120.
High gain raises the noise floor. . At least to my ears.
Firmware 4.0 will be great. I hope there is an option for more output power for planar iems.

May 28, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #28,100 of 45,723
Firmware 4.0 will be great. I hope there is an option for more output power for planar iems.
It think it has plenty of power, the CL2 is probably one of the hardest iems to drive, and the WM1A handles it beautifully.
Now Large planar cans, that might be different story.
Battery life, love having to not charge it every 4 hours :)

May 28, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #28,101 of 45,723
It think it has plenty of power, the CL2 is probably one of the hardest iems to drive, and the WM1A handles it beautifully.
Now Large planar cans, that might be different story.
Battery life, love having to not charge it every 4 hours :)
I am using DX200Ti with Amp8 for LCDi4 but battery lasts for about 5 hours only.

I probably should get a portable amp for my 1Z :)

May 28, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #28,102 of 45,723
I am using DX200Ti with Amp8 for LCDi4 but battery lasts for about 5 hours only.

I probably should get a portable amp for my 1Z :)
Woo audio WA11, that's an amp I keep a close eye on :)
Tubes might be a bit too much with the 1Z

May 28, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #28,104 of 45,723
Yes WA11 will be great for my daps but my preference is more towards Cayin N8 brass.
I have yet to give that one a listen, probably will at CanJam in a few weeks, but from everything I hear, that is one bad boy of a dap.
Can't go wrong there.

May 28, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #28,105 of 45,723

The DMP is like the WM-1Z on Andrenaline. If you love 1Z, Ofcourse you would love the DMP naturally :wink:.

Gotta admit it though, Sony and their DSP from their own chip and software is excellent !

I have yet to give that one a listen, probably will at CanJam in a few weeks, but from everything I hear, that is one bad boy of a dap.
Can't go wrong there.

N8 is like the little kid that was Mated between Ibasso DX200Titanium + WM1Z together. All 3 players are in the same tier with different signature where as 1Z is more musical and organic, 200Ti is more references with a lot of air and N8 is in between. It would heavily be relying on your personal preferences of UI, and other practicalities, beside audio signatures.

The N8 did drive Empyrean pretty well, and the Aiva, so it was quiet powerful with great capability. But all players is pale in comparison to DMP (if you love Sony house sound, then the DMP can’t be beaten....even when you pit it against a Chord DAVE)

I love Sony, always had, and still do. So from my point of view, if you loved the WM1Z, you will like the N8, but you may be set back by UI and battery playtime....however, if you picked 1Z, you have not enough power to drive headphones....and you wished you could have had both N8 and 1Z....and the price is almost of the DMP.....then neither 1Z nor N8 can really pit against DMP. You would have ended up at the DMP, and that is me (dang this hobby!)

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #28,106 of 45,723
The DMP is like the WM-1Z on Andrenaline. If you love 1Z, Ofcourse you would love the DMP naturally :wink:.

Gotta admit it though, Sony and their DSP from their own chip and software is excellent !

N8 is like the little kid that was Mated between Ibasso DX200Titanium + WM1Z together. All 3 players are in the same tier with different signature where as 1Z is more musical and organic, 200Ti is more references with a lot of air and N8 is in between. It would heavily be relying on your personal preferences of UI, and other practicalities, beside audio signatures.

The N8 did drive Empyrean pretty well, and the Aiva, so it was quiet powerful with great capability. But all players is pale in comparison to DMP (if you love Sony house sound, then the DMP can’t be beaten....even when you pit it against a Chord DAVE)

I love Sony, always had, and still do. So from my point of view, if you loved the WM1Z, you will like the N8, but you may be set back by UI and battery playtime....however, if you picked 1Z, you have not enough power to drive headphones....and you wished you could have had both N8 and 1Z....and the price is almost of the DMP.....then neither 1Z nor N8 can really pit against DMP. You would have ended up at the DMP, and that is me (dang this hobby!)
84999729-450A-4A18-93D9-E492A42CDA37.png

You’ll have to post pictures when the DMP Z1 arrives.
:)

May 28, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #28,110 of 45,723

Thanks Whitigir. Have you tried N8 brass version? I had a thought about DMP over N8. I like 1Z sound signature but it cannot play DTS format and doesnt support cue file. I used to convert to flac but it took too much time. That is why I bought DX200 then DX200Ti.

I wish Sony supports DTS and cue files. Now you get me thinking over DMP again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back