SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #25,336 of 45,723
I love the 1z...almost tempted to keep it.

I would just keep it. I have been tempted to sell some of my players and I'm so glad I have kept all three of my main players.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #25,338 of 45,723
Tell me about the TA and what about it has significant improvement over 1z

Strangely it’s an IEM amp. You get it and it comes with cables and a small remote, but it’s probably best suited suited as a DAC and amp with a computer or the 1A/1Z. It’s not the best going analog in or Toslink SPDIF in RCA, from a transport with 16/44.1 disks.

It’s maybe not going to be the total best with layed back dark IEMs; the treble enthusiasm of the 1Z adds some energy getting the signature to slip out of the woods.

Remember though this is just my opinion using the Z1R, Z7, N3, Z5 and Anole V3 and Encore. It’s nice with everything but maybe slightly too dark with the Anole V3.

Though word on the street is they are great to hook a DVD player up optical; I have not tried it. But as a DAC it does the DA conversion then takes the analog back into the digital realm in a DSD envelope. So it uses an effect much like upsampling, along with proper DSEE HX. It has very few controls really. No EQ. I leave the DSEE HX and DSD remastering engine on all the time. It has 3.5mm single ended, 1/4” single ended, XLR 4pin, 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mmX2 balanced.

As a preamp it has a choice of line out or volume control out. Strangely you could plug an analog vinyl preamp into it and upsample the signal to DSD. Have not tried that yet. But in daily use HD sounds especially nice, though I mainly use 320 kbps and FLAC. I especially like how it makes MP3 sound...........................I know that is silly, but MP3s are special with it.

It’s super heavy with a EMF enclosure and the connections like gold plate RCA are comparable to the highest end gear you will ever see. Though it is only as powerful as my Asgard One. Which it’s way more than you need with the Z1R and Z7, but couldn’t drive a k701 very well. I leave it on low gain for the Z1R and Z7. What’s truly amazing is what it can do to the Z5. Just an experience where the soundstage opens and this thick buttery bass in a fixed lockdown image prevails. Z5 soundstage gets the best I have ever heard too. All and all it’s just blacker in background but also is more flat than the 1Z. The 1Z has a treble spike that enhances some IEMs and is a detriment to others. Also it’s kinda warm, warmer than the 1A. Remember it’s made by the TA team, who have been making amps ever since, I don’t know, the late 1970s? It’s their first headphone amp.

It’s a nice compromise as it’s dead quiet with IEMs.

As far as sound goes it’s a noticeable improvement over the 1Z-1A. Better stable image production and blacker background; both notable qualities with IEMs and headphones. Tighter bass on the headphones and of course amazing synergy with Sony headphones, taking them to a place few products can. Super easy to use too, never ever gets more warm than body temperature.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #25,339 of 45,723
Strangely it’s an IEM amp. You get it and it comes with cables and a small remote, but it’s probably best suited suited as a DAC and amp with a computer or the 1A/1Z. It’s not the best going analog in or Toslink SPDIF in RCA, from a transport with 16/44.1 disks.

It’s maybe not going to be the total best with layed back dark IEMs; the treble enthusiasm of the 1Z adds some energy getting the signature to slip out of the woods.

Remember though this is just my opinion using the Z1R, Z7, N3, Z5 and Anole V3 and Encore. It’s nice with everything but maybe slightly too dark with the Anole V3.

Though word on the street is they are great to hook a DVD player up optical; I have not tried it. But as a DAC it does the DA conversion then takes the analog back into the digital realm in a DSD envelope. So it uses an effect much like upsampling, along with proper DSEE HX. It has very few controls really. No EQ. I leave the DSEE HX and DSD remastering engine on all the time. It has 3.5mm single ended, 1/4” single ended, XLR 4pin, 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mmX2 balanced.

As a preamp it has a choice of line out or volume control out. Strangely you could plug an analog vinyl premamp into it and upsample the signal to DSD. Have tried that yet.

It’s super heavy with a EMF enclosure and the connections like gold plate RCA are comparable to the highest end gear you will ever see. Though it is only as powerful as my Asgard One. Which it’s way more than you need with the Z1R and Z7, but couldn’t drive a k701 very well. I leave it on low gain for the Z1R and Z7. What’s truly amazing is what it can do to the Z5. Just an experience where the soundstage opens and this thick buttery bass in a fixed lockdown image prevails. Z5 soundstage gets the best I have ever heard too. All and all it’s just blacker in background but also is more flat than the 1Z. The 1Z has a treble spike that enhances some IEMs and is a detriment to others. Also it’s kinda warm, warmer than the 1A. Remember it’s made by the TA team, who have been making amps ever since, I don’t know, the late 1970s? It’s their first headphone amp.

It’s a nice compromise as it’s dead quiet with IEMs.

As far as sound goes it’s a noticeable improvement over the 1Z-1A. Better stable image production and blacker background; both notable qualities with IEMs and headphones. Tighter bass on the headphones and of course amazing synergy with Sony headphones, taking them to a place few products can. Super easy to use too, never ever gets more warm than body temperature.
I appreciate you

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #25,340 of 45,723
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #25,341 of 45,723
Anybody uses Dynamic Normalizer?

Just tried it for longer and didn't expect to like it this much as it is supposed to compress dynamics.

As most of my tracks are well mastered it seems to give a nice boost to them and I can lower volume and not notice lesser dynamic range.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #25,342 of 45,723
WM1Z with K-mod. Pairs well with most of the IEM/CIEM I paired it with.

CustomArt Harmony 8.2. 64Audio A18. Both paired with Effect Audio Leonidas Ver1 & 1960 2 wire.

AAW A3H Ver2 with null audio 8 wire copper cable. Campfire Audio Comet with Kimber Audio cable.
If without K-mod, what do you recommend?

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #25,344 of 45,723
Not that I can afford the 1Z but, a question for those that have both... If you used one on day one exclusively, and swapped to the other on day two (ie a break from listening, rather than a direct a/b) is the difference still very obvious, you feel that something is missing or extra versus the day before?

Why do those that have both have both? Does one seem to suit some genres better than the other? (As in does the 1A actually beat out the 1Z at any point?)

Loving the 1A, but having one of those what if moments.

Thanks!
AK SE100

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #25,345 of 45,723
@AllenWalker I've been contemplating picking up the Acoustune HS1650CU as well for my 1Z. Can you offer any additional thoughts? Thanks.
Really smooth. The details are there. Was surprised, considering the price point and how it performed. Better to demo first

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #25,346 of 45,723
Anybody uses Dynamic Normalizer?

Just tried it for longer and didn't expect to like it this much as it is supposed to compress dynamics.

As most of my tracks are well mastered it seems to give a nice boost to them and I can lower volume and not notice lesser dynamic range.

I would never use it. What it does is make sure that all tracks play with the same max volume which totally kill the dynamic range especially in classical music where there can be huge swings in what max volume is from track to track within a pice of music. I always plays full albums end to end, but I guess it could be usefull if one does a lot of shuffle/random track playing

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #25,347 of 45,723
IIRC when the dynamic normalizer was first introduced with the MZ-RH1 it was primarily used for field recording playback (i.e. interviews, etc). It was never really intended for music playback.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #25,348 of 45,723
New! Great with Sony WM 1A FW 2.0 Norne Audio Solvine and HD 800S 20181109_193957.jpg 20181109_194330.jpg

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #25,349 of 45,723
Got my WM1Z a few days ago. In short, it's the best sounding, best interface, best feeling DAP I've ever owned. It'd defiantly going to be apart of my collection of gear for many year!

I see that some of you have posted pictures with a plug in the 3.5mm input? Were the walkman's supposed to come with these? (mine didn't)

If not can one of you post a link where I might obtain them? \,,/

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #25,350 of 45,723
Got my WM1Z a few days ago. In short, it's the best sounding, best interface, best feeling DAP I've ever owned. It'd defiantly going to be apart of my collection of gear for many year!

I see that some of you have posted pictures with a plug in the 3.5mm input? Were the walkman's supposed to come with these? (mine didn't)

If not can one of you post a link where I might obtain them? \,,/

It does not come with the player. I bought an assortment on eBay a few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back