1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. 480126
    s-l300.jpg https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benks-Blac...A-WM1Z-ZX300-ZX300A-3-5MM-4-4MM-Jack-/3326362

2. ryaneagon
  3. ryaneagon
    A search would be a welcome feature.

4. 480126
    Sorry! Look at eBay and search Benks magic mini dust plugs!

5. hireslover
  6. Vitaly2017
    Hey i got this question. Folks talk about k mode. Are you referring to kimberly cable wirring used inside the 1z? Its a stock feature in 1z as i see on the sony website...

I am very curious about this new fw 3.0 it adds mqa and more neutral kind off sound sig thats really good.

Can folks tell me what kind of dac chip is used in 1z and how does it stands against new ak 4497 chip please.

7. nc8000 Contributor
    The chips are Sony’s own S-master that fully integrates dac and amplification.

K-mod is a number of internal modifications done to the 1Z and 1A by a company in the far east (think in Singapore but am not sure).

MQA support came in 2.0

8. Vitaly2017
    So kmode is something really worth it?

9. nc8000 Contributor
    No idea as I have not tried but there a several descriptions of it in this thread by people who have tried it

10. Lookout57
    You can get them on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BT639LX/

11. rtjoa
    https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/services/products/1960s-mod-wm1-zx300
    There are several mod options ranging from S$500 to S$1000. I have heard it once with 1Z firmware 1.2 at Can Jam Singapore. I am not sure how it sounds with firmware 3.0 since there is a big difference from 1.2 to 3.0. I liked it but I decide to buy Brimar cables instead.

12. Love Music
    i was checking out the list of the best selling daps in Japan and found out that chinese players like fiio x7ii, lotoo paw gold etc are the best sellers. Is there a reason why sony players are not as popular in Japan? or is it because they think Chinese brands sound better or match Japanese music more?

13. Redcarmoose
    Show us this list.

14. Love Music
    i cant seem to find it anymore. but its the best selling daps of 2018 from the fujiya avic list.

15. Redcarmoose
    I may have heard one, but I was concentrating on IEM testing, and one was around. Really if your in demonstration mode you should try and replicate what you have at home so the IEMs sound like what you actually heard at the store. So I switched over to a stock Walkman the store had.

So I wasn't looking for a change and didn’t notice one with a modified Walkman. That’s not to say the modification could not be a nice change when listening to a player under the right conditions.

The deal with cables is very subjective. It’s seems cables make a huge difference for some and a slight or unnoticed difference for others. The truth is maybe somewhere in the middle.

Most likely the tone character different metals and wire geometry produce is not able to be quantified with equipment at this time. Though electrical resistance can differ from IEM cable to IEM cable, that’s something that has been tested and proven without a doubt.

Changing cables makes a big difference in my eyes. Though perception can be coerced in to thinking there are giant improvements. Call it placebo or a lead in, but humans will think they perceive dramatic changes if they think there is a cause introduced. The power of suggestion has always worked, though if trying to change the end sound and spending big money in the process; it would be nice to know the truth.

I do know the aftermarket Kimber cable for the Z1R and Z7 provides a nice change month in and month out in comparison to the stock provided cables. Kimber also has a flagship Axios cable line that many members have purchased and felt offered improvements.

But most likely the best money spent is reaching for an end goal. Literally attempting to use cable metal properties to influence the amp to result in a new tone.........affecting the end-goal sound wanted. And.........with some IEM headphones, a big change will not be noted, then there are other IEMs which end up highly responsive to cable changes. The next level here really is mixing and matching equipment, attempting an end result in tone. The 1A and 1Z both have there intrinsic sound qualities. A persons success is many times hanging on weather the tone matches the listeners preference in sound. Maybe if you hade a favorite dark IEM and found you wanted slight boost in treble detail or in opposite wanted strictly warmth, a cable changeout either internally or externally, could get good results.

Many feel cables can do what people try to do with EQ. Typically cables are noted for changing soundstage also.

So in theory if a special cable was put in the players, it could theoretically change the sound for the better. What happens here normally is listeners focus on small changes and those changes can at times start to seem much bigger than maybe they are in reality. Nothing wrong as it’s just how the human brain focuses; how it functions in life.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Steen Pihl and Vitaly2017 like this.