1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. jasonho
    this is from the sony website

It works for me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. ryaneagon
    Trying out the Bluetooth receiver tonight. Sounds pretty exceptional paired with my Nivida Shield, LDAC is sounding just as good as direct from the player, I'm pretty impressed. IMG_1023.JPG

3. buduba0604
  4. Notrix
    Though I can't take credit for the HACK below, it has worked perfectly for me. I found this some time ago on the NW-A40 Series thread by a poster named @bandario. This process works great even if you don't use Music Center for PC. Just disregard that portion of the guide. Hope this helps... Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I fixed 100% of my album art, a quick guide. Note, I already had album art either embedded in tags or in folder titled cover.jpg before I started this process. I was just missing 80% being displayed on the NW-A45 due to either wrong version ID3v2 tags or jpgs stored as progressive rather than baseline. As discussed earlier in the thread, Baseline is required by the NW-A45 in order to display correctly AND it has trouble with id3V2.4. I was not about to spend an entire day doing all of this manually so here is the closest I came to an automated solution. I now have 100% of tags showing correctly apart from one folder full of V/A compilations which just seem to be handled really badly by just about all software and will have to be done manually.

This solution can be done without re-transferring all of your files which is a big deal. We will be using TagScanner and Sony Music Center.
    ------------------------------
    First: open TagScanner, go to program options in the top right and under TAGS, ensure you have it set to ID3v2.3, and that your coverart filename matches the bulk of what you are dealing with (cover.jpg). I set quality to 90% @ 600x600 pixels.
    Click the back arrow in the top left.
    Next: Click the folder icon with the green + sign and point it to the MUSIC directory on your WALKMAN device, ensuring search subfolders is checked.
    Once all of the music has been imported, press CTRL-A to select all files, drop down the KEEP menu and select Recompress. This by default should have discogs cleanup selected, I'm not sure if this matters.
    Press SAVE down the bottom right and TagScanner will start processing your files and saving tags and art in a proper, readable format.

Once this is done, repeat the process for the music directory on your microSD card.

If you are still struggling, select all files and extract album artwork from tags to file, saving as cover.jpg and overwriting.

Then, send them back to tags and the correct format will be applied.
    -----------------------------

Disconnect your device and let it update the database. Now, go to album view and scroll through your albums. You will notice now that most of the lag is gone! I think this is a side effect of having all of your tags + artwork recompressed into correct format.
    Use a pen and paper or notepad etc to write down any remaining albums that still don't have artwork.

Open Sony music centre and delete your entire library making sure to select delete library only, not the files on your computer. Let's face it, this software is terrible apart from the one thing we are about to do with it.
    Also turn off automatically analyse imported tracks and 12-tone analysis. This is what crashes Music Center constantly, and also what messes up all of your perfectly organised music.

Open My Computer and drag both of your music folders from the walkman to Music Center. When asked if you want to copy it to managed location, select NO.

Now, go through the list you made earlier and either drag appropriate cover art to the albums that are missing it or use the Get Cover Art function from gracenote.

That's it. This has been extraordinarily frustrating; I can't work out for the life of me why the walkman has such a hard time dealing with album art.

noverbeck, Cagin, Joe Tan and 2 others like this.
  5. bvng3540
    How do we go back to 2.0 from 3.0?

6. nc8000 Contributor
    Install the 2.0 FW

7. fiascogarcia
  8. nc8000 Contributor
  9. PointyFox
    The only way to use Music Center is to disable all its features.

10. Redcarmoose
  11. Duncan Moderator
    Not that I can afford the 1Z but, a question for those that have both... If you used one on day one exclusively, and swapped to the other on day two (ie a break from listening, rather than a direct a/b) is the difference still very obvious, you feel that something is missing or extra versus the day before?

Why do those that have both have both? Does one seem to suit some genres better than the other? (As in does the 1A actually beat out the 1Z at any point?)

Loving the 1A, but having one of those what if moments.

Thanks!

12. Redcarmoose
    The 1A has a treble curve which suits my Encore better than the 1Z. So they have a sound difference that’s massive. After you own both for awhile you find that they each garner their own IEMs in your collection and you don’t ever want to mix and match.

It takes about an hour to fully acclimate between the 2 players still. I don’t know about genre matching but maybe someone would, it makes sense?

The 1Z treble curve enhances a darker IEM I have. So the 1A/1Z really are complementary to each other.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    davidmolliere likes this.
  13. linux4ever
    WM1A and WM1Z have unique sound signatures. Both are immensely likable. But 1z (and mine has k-mod as well) has that resolution that wasn't available even in Premium plus k-mod WM1A. The sound is definitely a step above WM1A. The unmoved WM1A bass has punch, yet still feels softer at times. thePremium plus k-mod WM1A punches well and has the slam. It opens up a lot across all frequencies compared to the unmodded WM1A.

Some times it is easier to carry WM1A around. Wm1Z is quite HEAVY :). It is still manageable though. But not as easy as WM1A. Campfire Audio Comet sounds so lovely even on unmodded WM1A. That $200 iem is a beast.

Duncan likes this.
  14. NaiveSound
    I love the 1z...almost tempted to keep it.

roses77 and Quadfather like this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    I once had a 79 Les Paul Standard. I was moving and had too much stuff so I sold it. I have always missed that guitar. You won’t know till you miss it.

NaiveSound likes this.