SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #25,216 of 45,723
1000% on balanced all the time, 3.5mm jack is never used. I upgraded to V 3.0 and still on the last bar for the past 2 hrs, may be your unit is faulty. Try contacting Sony, but their customer service is lousy.. never had a +ve experience with them.

Is this WM1A in the photo?

A question to WM1Z owners - With V3.0, how long the battery lasts on standby without powering off?

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #25,217 of 45,723
With my other Sony players, e.g., the NW-ZX1 and the -45, I can analyze my on-board library within my DAP to extract the parameters that it uses to set up the “mood” playlists., e.g. “morning” or “energetic.”

My WM1A will not do this, but instead advises me that I need to do it off line. I am not able to to that, but even if I could (using the old or new Sony tool whose name escapes me), I don’t know how I would download the analysis info.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #25,218 of 45,723
With my other Sony players, e.g., the NW-ZX1 and the -45, I can analyze my on-board library within my DAP to extract the parameters that it uses to set up the “mood” playlists., e.g. “morning” or “energetic.”

My WM1A will not do this, but instead advises me that I need to do it off line. I am not able to to that, but even if I could (using the old or new Sony tool whose name escapes me), I don’t know how I would download the analysis info.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I would guess that the info gets imbedded in tags in the files

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #25,219 of 45,723
Is it too much ask for sony to make a bass boost buton next to the direct mode or the EQ? is it to much ask for 3D alterrendering mode well the second for shure bat a freaking bass boost? is it too much i wont go balanced and i want SE ATM why sony why... please make a new FIrmware with bass in SE... im stiking to 2.0 ATM since 1.2 I get the freaking database error on building iand i dont feel like starting over with songs and player counter to 0

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #25,220 of 45,723
Has anyone been able to get the 1Z working as a USB DAC with an iPhone? Using the iPhone camera adapter and the standard 1Z USB cable I can get the DAC screen on the 1Z with the volume to show up but no sound no matter what I play on the iPhone. I set the 1Z to not charge over USB, but can't find any other settings on either the DAP or iPhone that help. Any ideas? It's an iPhone X running the latest iOS.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #25,221 of 45,723

Any ideas? Thanks!

I transferred all my content to my 1Z with Sony music centre software. It supposed to do a 12 tone analysis automatically for the whole library to enable a 'mood' listing.

However the player still reports some files not analysed and don't have a clue which ones. I agree they should have included this capability within the firmware like it was in previous Sony players..

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #25,223 of 45,723
Hi, this may be a dumb question - is there a way to connect a non-balanced headphone amp to the WM1A while still using the 4.4mm input on the WM1A? I.e., as a pre-amp? I would like to try an amp my LCD2C on the balanced input of my WM1A - do I need an amp with a 4.4 input to do this? Thanks

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #25,224 of 45,723
Hi, this may be a dumb question - is there a way to connect a non-balanced headphone amp to the WM1A while still using the 4.4mm input on the WM1A? I.e., as a pre-amp? I would like to try an amp my LCD2C on the balanced input of my WM1A - do I need an amp with a 4.4 input to do this? Thanks
Maybe you can use something like this

Screenshot_20181103-114345_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20181103-114345_AliExpress.jpg

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #25,225 of 45,723

You can connect the 3.5 output of the WM to a single ended input on something else or the 4.4 output of the WM to a balanced input of something else. Never mix balanced and single ended

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #25,226 of 45,723
Maybe you can use something like this

Thanks, that looks handy. But that would still suggest that I'd have to use something like this for the balanced end of my LCD2's right? I was basically to seeing if there's a workaround to avoid spending another $1k on a headphone amp with a 4.4mm input to get more power to the Audeze's (such as Sony's own one or the WA11). Thanks.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #25,227 of 45,723

A question to WM1Z owners - With V3.0, how long the battery lasts on standby without powering off?

Its a 1z in a silicone case. The battery lasts about 6-7 hrs depending on how much I keep the screen on. Also I have enabled the 90% charge option.

Most of my tracks are in DSD, Few in Wav and Flac.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #25,228 of 45,723
Thanks, that looks handy. But that would still suggest that I'd have to use something like this for the balanced end of my LCD2's right? I was basically to seeing if there's a workaround to avoid spending another $1k on a headphone amp with a 4.4mm input to get more power to the Audeze's (such as Sony's own one or the WA11). Thanks.

The WM on it's own is unlikely to be able to power something as demanding as the LCD

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #25,229 of 45,723

I charge my player once a week and never turn it off. I get about 20 hours play time during that week playing 16/44 flac with direct source on balanced low gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back