SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #25,201 of 45,723
Well for me...I bought a 1A. I liked it. After about six months I upgraded the 1A to a 1Z. Loved it. Sold it after about four months to try the DX200. Big mistake...I totally missed the 1Z sound signature, build quality and the stable UI. And my iPhone X couldn't replace it either. Bought another 1Z and I've been happy again ever since.
Same here first start with 1a, then sold it bought 1z, sold it and try dx200, ak380, opus#2, went back 1a and 1z, so total I had about 8, 1a, and 3, 1z, just bought a modded 1z I think I will stop at this point

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #25,202 of 45,723
@NaiveSound sell me your 1Z for 1000$ bro , make a fellow headfier happy

go on do it :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #25,203 of 45,723
I went straight for the 1Z as I had the money at the time. So glad I did, have loved it for 1 1/2 years and today I would not have been able to afford to buy it

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #25,204 of 45,723

Let me get this straight...........you have been on this thread for a year........you get a 1Z only two months ago...........and now.....you want to sell it?

Lately while super happy with my rig, I'm starting to drift away from the hobby, I have other hobbies to fund and some 1z money would be very nice

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #25,205 of 45,723
Anyone on Mac OS Mojave able to use USB DAC mode with Audirvana or JRiver? It's strange, I got this to work initially but now it will only work as system audio. When I select WALKMAN on Audirvana or JRiver, the player starts, but I get nothing on the WM1z. Only player that works is iTunes, using system audio.

Update - after disabling/enabling integer mode DAC is working again. Looking at the sampling rates Mac OS recognizes, there are several duplicate rates where only one actually outputs. Perhaps, it's a matter of rolling the dice and getting the right one connected to the media player. Once locked in, all sampling rates work. I did have my WM1z unplugged from my Mac for a week so maybe it "forgot"?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #25,206 of 45,723
F306DDFB-2EC0-4130-96A2-D52AB0BB5989.jpeg

Anyone on Mac OS Mojave able to use USB DAC mode with Audirvana or JRiver? It's strange, I got this to work initially but now it will only work as system audio. When I select WALKMAN on Audirvana or JRiver, the player starts, but I get nothing on the WM1z. Only player that works is iTunes, using system audio.

Update - after disabling/enabling integer mode DAC is working again. Looking at the sampling rates Mac OS recognizes, there are several duplicate rates where only one actually outputs. Perhaps, it's a matter of rolling the dice and getting the right one connected to the media player. Once locked in, all sampling rates work. I did have my WM1z unplugged from my Mac for a week so maybe it "forgot"?

This was offered as a solution a couple pages back. Hopefully it’s not the Apple equivalent to Delete System32.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #25,207 of 45,723
I will never sell my wm1a. I'd sell my dx200 first. However, it's more difficult between wm1a and my ak se100

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #25,208 of 45,723
1A and 1Z is probably one of SONY's legendary releases that makes a mark in their history timeline.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #25,209 of 45,723
1A and 1Z is probably one of SONY's legendary releases that makes a mark in their history timeline.

I agree.
If the first cassette Walkman count as the first legendary portable analogue audio product for Sony, then the WM1 series counts as their first successful portable digital audio product IMO. For decades their mp3 Walkman business was overshadowed by iPods (though partially a fault that was their own making) and they had been trying to mimic what Apple was doing and failed miserably, the WM1 series is the one where they really stepped out from the shadows and blasted open their own path and thus rewarded with well deserved success. The Japanese makers in general are most charming when they make quirky devices and stand tall and proud of their own personality, "me too" products had only ever hurt them, and the WM1 demostrates that perfectly.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #25,210 of 45,723
I agree.
If the first cassette Walkman count as the first legendary portable analogue audio product for Sony, then the WM1 series counts as their first successful portable digital audio product IMO. For decades their mp3 Walkman business was overshadowed by iPods (though partially a fault that was their own making) and they had been trying to mimic what Apple was doing and failed miserably, the WM1 series is the one where they really stepped out from the shadows and blasted open their own path and thus rewarded with well deserved success. The Japanese makers in general are most charming when they make quirky devices and stand tall and proud of their own personality, "me too" products had only ever hurt them, and the WM1 demostrates that perfectly.

+1 Huge Sony Fanboy here.. Totally addicted to their walkman cassette players from the late 90s and I see my 1z as a true tribute.

Just now upgraded to the version 3.0 firmware and my 1z is sounding much more musical now. Hats off to Sony..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #25,212 of 45,723
I agree you have to consider all factors beforme making a decition like this one.... i would love to have 1z i would only sell it couse of battery in the future i wouldent like to have a 3000 us brick that only holds power for about an hour, it makes more sense in this way to get TA... dough i dunno if its exactly the same.... so you can sell it and save 500 us get a TA... still be happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back