1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. fiascogarcia
    You mentioned that your amp is unbalanced, so you can't really get balanced output to your headphones using that amp. If you decide to get another amp with balanced output, it doesn't necessarily have to have a 4.4mm input. You could use a 4.4mm adapter to connect the 1Z's balanced output to a balanced amp's RCA or other type of balanced input. The adapter shown above would allow you to use your current amp, but it would still be in SE output to your headphones.

Nostoi likes this.
  2. iron2k
    Take a look to this one

https://penonaudio.com/oriolus-ba300s.html

Nostoi likes this.
  3. Nostoi
    Thanks, that looks very nice, indeed. I was actually looking for a balanced equivalent of my Fostex HP-V1, and this looks like it could fit the bill. Cheers.

4. cpetrillo
    Just want to mention that my 1A (3.0) is sounding very nice with the AKG N5005. I am listening balanced on the stock 2.5mm cable with a 4.4mm adapter.

5. Nostoi
    Great, thanks this is helpful. I'm somewhat new to desktop amps, so this is good. I do have the NW-H10 cable, so would be ready to go with the RCA connection.

6. NaiveSound
    Is there just a thing

(can I plug my 4.4mm cable to an adapter that goes to a male 2.5mm balanced )?

Quadfather likes this.
  7. cpetrillo
    NaiveSound likes this.
  8. Midnstorms
    guys is the 4.4 to SE any good? ive seen a couple of cheap ones in aliexpress can it damage my unit? thanks in advance

9. nc8000 Contributor
    No you might damage the equipment both ends. Never mix balanced and single ended

10. bvng3540
    I been using it since the 4.4mm introduce, used it with my wm1a/1z and sony amp, zero problems, lots of people keep saying it will damaged your devices, but they never used it themself

11. nc8000 Contributor
    Good for you. In that case Sony must have build some kind of protection into it to bail out people from doing something stupid

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    named name and kubig123 like this.
  12. Quadfather
    My understanding is that balanced to balanced is fine.

NaiveSound likes this.
  13. Quadfather
    I currently have the Sony NW-WM1A and it has 800 hours on it. It is perfect for heavy metal. My Paw Gold Diana and Questyle QP1R are great, but metal becomes fatiguing after an hour. No such problem with the Sony. I have heard the NW-WM1Z and fell in love...still saving. I NEVER sell players, because my tastes change from time to time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Aslshark likes this.
  14. bflat
    Not stupid. 4.4 TRRRS spec allows for balanced to dual SE using the 5th rung as GND. If somebody with one of these adapters can confirm that the GND signal from the RCA is wired to the 5th rung then it is fully within specs. If the wiring is to the 4.4 spec, then the worse that can happen is no sound. I'm going to email the adapter maker out of curiosity.

15. nc8000 Contributor
    Yes that would be true, I didn’t think of the ground line on the 4.4, but I suppose that requires it to be implemented in the Sony ?

Joining the 2 minus signals to the 3.5 ground on the other hand should produce a short.