SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #12,497 of 45,723
Here's my two cents. I have the WM1A and it has been too cold/bright sounding for me. Bought the ZX2 based on reports of it having a warm sound, with laid back treble, but also excellent detail, and man does it not disappoint. Out of the box on standard 3.5 mm it sounds better than the WM1A to me on 3.5mm, granted I burned in the WM1A for about 50 hours. It has been persistently bright, while the ZX2 is the much smoother player of the two. I suspect Sony pandered to people complaining about lack of sparkle in the ZX2 when they designed the WM1A. For me too much treble is not good. It ruins the experience for me as I don't find treble adds to musicality of the sound. IMO the ZX2 is more comparable to the WM1Z. Both players share the copper sheilding, and a similiar sound signature from what I've read about the WM1Z. WM1A is a different beast, a lesser one to me. It is neutral to bright, with no copper sheilding.

Too much treble ? Used this yet ?

IMG_0030.JPG

Btw don't use 3.5mm, try the 4.4mm.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #12,498 of 45,723
98hxqf.jpg

Just got these sent from china Taobao, two benks screen protector and a TPU case, they gave a free two piece pack of dust caps for the WM port and two hi res sticker, also from my ZX 2, I also have like about 15 hi res sticker lying around somewhere. I have always purchased benks stuff for my ZX 2.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #12,499 of 45,723
Thanks! ummmm battery looks a little short to mine based on your data. My BT is off and brightness is 50/100, sometimes i open the screen to put the loved songs into playlist. But i think it is still under normal range, right?
yes still under normal range, try lowering brightness a bit or use more 16/44.1 than hi-rrd

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #12,500 of 45,723
Too much treble ? Used this yet ?

Btw don't use 3.5mm, try the 4.4mm.

I used tone control. I've had the treble cranked down to -8 on the WM1A since I unboxed it. To me the WM1A is one of those DAPs that uses lots of treble to give you details. The ZX2 gives the details minus the treble fatigue

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #12,501 of 45,723
Here's my two cents. I have the WM1A and it has been too cold/bright sounding for me. Bought the ZX2 based on reports of it having a warm sound, with laid back treble, but also excellent detail, and man does it not disappoint. Out of the box on standard 3.5 mm it sounds better than the WM1A to me on 3.5mm, granted I burned in the WM1A for about 50 hours. It has been persistently bright, while the ZX2 is the much smoother player of the two. I suspect Sony pandered to people complaining about lack of sparkle in the ZX2 when they designed the WM1A. For me too much treble is not good. It ruins the experience for me as I don't find treble adds to musicality of the sound. IMO the ZX2 is more comparable to the WM1Z. Both players share the copper sheilding, and a similiar sound signature from what I've read about the WM1Z. WM1A is a different beast, a lesser one to me. It is neutral to bright, with no copper sheilding.

Maybe you want to try the 4.4mm first?
The 2 ports are different sounding i would say.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #12,502 of 45,723
Maybe you want to try the 4.4mm first?
The 2 ports are different sounding i would say.

I tried balanced on the WM1A too. I avoided comparing that output to the standard output on the ZX2. I will say that the biggest positives of the balanced output on the WM1A were layering and soundstage. I was thoroughly impressed with these aspects. However, switching to balanced on the WM1A did not alleviate the brightness of this DAP. I thought maybe it would, so I tried going with my more traditional sound settings. But after 5-6 minutes I started to notice fatigue. The WM1A is unique in that it has this seemingly smooth, but sneaky bright treble, that is enormously fatiguing unless EQ'd/toned down.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #12,503 of 45,723
I tried balanced on the WM1A too. I avoided comparing that output to the standard output on the ZX2. I will say that the biggest positives of the balanced output on the WM1A were layering and soundstage. I was thoroughly impressed with these aspects. However, switching to balanced on the WM1A did not alleviate the brightness of this DAP. I thought maybe it would, so I tried going with my more traditional sound settings. But after 5-6 minutes I started to notice fatigue. The WM1A is unique in that it has this seemingly smooth, but sneaky bright treble, that is enormously fatiguing unless EQ'd/toned down.

The WM1A's response is pretty flat. Maybe it hits a frequency range/spot that you are particularly sensitive with. I never once found it fatiguing.

Glad the ZX2 worked out for you though..........it didn't work out for me when it was released (dark, strangely warm but not enough body and note weight to support, frankly quite frighteningly bad extension in the highs and kinda peaky mid-hi) (almost blacklisted Sony at that point) and it was part of the reason why I was so deeply impressed with the update/upgrade to the WM1 series and the huge improvements (at least to me) that brought about. Classic illustration that there's no objectively best equipment - only one that works best for you qualifies as the best.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #12,504 of 45,723
IMO the ZX2 is more comparable to the WM1Z. Both players share the copper sheilding, and a similiar sound signature from what I've read about the WM1Z. WM1A is a different beast, a lesser one to me. It is neutral to bright, with no copper sheilding.

The WM1A has a copper back plate with aluminium chassis just like the ZX2, in fact the purity of the copper plate in the WM1 is higher than that of the ZX2 which is what is supposed to contribute to the overall better clarity of the WM1 series compared to the ZX2. Also the design of the WM1A is closer to that to the ZX2 and is positioned as such (WM1A is successor model of ZX2). The WM1Z is the true outlier with the OFC chassis which puts it in a different class.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #12,505 of 45,723
2. The website said the player has 25 hours of hires files play time, however, in my scenario, it only lasts around 15 hours with different types of files(hires, lossless flac and mp3). I opened almost all sound qualtity setting except high gain mode. I also open the battery mode to do not let it get charged over 90%. And indeed that 15 hours play time is based on 4.4 balanced jackport. Is that the true playing time for 1a or just mine's battery are getting defective?

This is normal. The quoted 25 hours of play time is measured in direct source mode with all sound enhancing options OFF. Turning on the sound enhancing options obviously requires more power because the chips will have to do more work/calculations.

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #12,506 of 45,723

What's your setup like?
IEM, cable etc

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #12,510 of 45,723
The WM1A has a copper back plate with aluminium chassis just like the ZX2, in fact the purity of the copper plate in the WM1 is higher than that of the ZX2 which is what is supposed to contribute to the overall better clarity of the WM1 series compared to the ZX2. Also the design of the WM1A is closer to that to the ZX2 and is positioned as such (WM1A is successor model of ZX2). The WM1Z is the true outlier with the OFC chassis which puts it in a different class.

Can you please show me where it says the WM1A has a copper plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back