SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #12,481 of 45,723
Hello everybody

I'm new here.
I've been following this thread for a while and am now also owner of the Sony NW-WM1A.
But I'm looking at the website:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNW...nation_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

I can not find the tool for windows. The downloadlink is for Linux only.
I need the scsitool-nwz-v8.exe file.
Does anyone have this file?
Is this version running under Win 10 or older?
I hope someone can help me.

P.S. I come from Germany and hope my english is ok.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #12,482 of 45,723
Hello everybody

I'm new here.
I've been following this thread for a while and am now also owner of the Sony NW-WM1A.
But I'm looking at the website:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNW...nation_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

I can not find the tool for windows. The downloadlink is for Linux only.
I need the scsitool-nwz-v8.exe file.
Does anyone have this file?
Is this version running under Win 10 or older?
I hope someone can help me.

P.S. I come from Germany and hope my english is ok.
On the link you posted, click on the 'Getting the tool' link under Windows. The tool is then in the download section under Windows 32bit.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #12,484 of 45,723
Trying to work out if hitting the 1000 hour mark on my player or the view or both is making this Floyd album sound very smooth and dreamy? 1497372947181924135524.jpg
I welcome your opinions especially if your at work or it's cold and rainy where you are

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #12,485 of 45,723
Thank you for your answer,
But under "Getting the tool" both have the same link. If you click on the Windows link, then there is only the Linux version not the Windows version.
some one here mentioned he had the zip file

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #12,491 of 45,723
Hi, I just purchased a WM1A a month ago and it hits up to 300 hours playing now. I am very satisfied with its sound quality but I have two following concerns, i appreciate your helps! :D
1. I use 4.4 balanced jackport to play music and i knew there are two relays under the machine. The concern i have is i even heard the "tick" sounds few times from relays when it is stand-by beside my hands (earphone is plugged), is it normal? I knew when switching file(from 44.1khz to 96khz etc) and start to play will make relays works, but i am confused relay is still working when i did not listen any music and did nothing to it when it is stand-by.
2. The website said the player has 25 hours of hires files play time, however, in my scenario, it only lasts around 15 hours with different types of files(hires, lossless flac and mp3). I opened almost all sound qualtity setting except high gain mode. I also open the battery mode to do not let it get charged over 90%. And indeed that 15 hours play time is based on 4.4 balanced jackport. Is that the true playing time for 1a or just mine's battery are getting defective?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #12,492 of 45,723
Hi, I just purchased a WM1A a month ago and it hits up to 300 hours playing now. I am very satisfied with its sound quality but I have two following concerns, i appreciate your helps! :D
1. I use 4.4 balanced jackport to play music and i knew there are two relays under the machine. The concern i have is i even heard the "tick" sounds few times from relays when it is stand-by beside my hands (earphone is plugged), is it normal? I knew when switching file(from 44.1khz to 96khz etc) and start to play will make relays works, but i am confused when it is still working when i did not listen any music and did nothing to it when it is stand-by.
2. The website said the player has 25 hours of hires files play time, however, in my scenario, it only lasts around 15 hours with different types of files(hires, lossless flac and mp3). I opened almost all sound qualtity setting except high gain mode. I also open the battery mode to do not let it get charged over 90%. And indeed that 15 hours play time is based on 4.4 balanced jackport. Is that the true playing time for 1a or just mine's battery are getting defective?

The relay is okay that's normal, mine does this also

the battery hmm depends on your brightness settings and if you have BT on or off. I have blutooth off and brightness arround 16/100 and barely use screen, i get to squeeze on balanced and mix of 24 and 16-bit files 23 hours

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #12,493 of 45,723
1. I use 4.4 balanced jackport to play music and i knew there are two relays under the machine. The concern i have is i even heard the "tick" sounds few times from relays when it is stand-by beside my hands (earphone is plugged), is it normal? I knew when switching file(from 44.1khz to 96khz etc) and start to play will make relays works, but i am confused when it is still working when i did not listen any music and did nothing to it when it is stand-by.

1. Relay is normal
2. Factors you have mentioned (all sound settings on, 4.4 balanced) deplete the battery charge much faster and so guess that's pretty normal too.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #12,494 of 45,723
Here's my two cents. I have the WM1A and it has been too cold/bright sounding for me. Bought the ZX2 based on reports of it having a warm sound, with laid back treble, but also excellent detail, and man does it not disappoint. Out of the box on standard 3.5 mm it sounds better than the WM1A to me on 3.5mm, granted I burned in the WM1A for about 50 hours. It has been persistently bright, while the ZX2 is the much smoother player of the two. I suspect Sony pandered to people complaining about lack of sparkle in the ZX2 when they designed the WM1A. For me too much treble is not good. It ruins the experience for me as I don't find treble adds to musicality of the sound. IMO the ZX2 is more comparable to the WM1Z. Both players share the copper sheilding, and a similiar sound signature from what I've read about the WM1Z. WM1A is a different beast, a lesser one to me. It is neutral to bright, with no copper sheilding.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #12,495 of 45,723
The relay is okay that's normal, mine does this also

the battery hmm depends on your brightness settings and if you have BT on or off. I have blutooth off and brightness arround 16/100 and barely use screen, i get to squeeze on balanced and mix of 24 and 16-bit files 23 hours
Thanks! ummmm battery looks a little short to mine based on your data. My BT is off and brightness is 50/100, sometimes i open the screen to put the loved songs into playlist. But i think it is still under normal range, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back