SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #12,046 of 45,723
thanks for the explain yes I meant the 4.4mm side as he saw the adapter terminated in two females and got excited until I told him no, because I feared a short circuit. But as you explain I think he would not get audio from one of his ear buds or worse no audio at all

That adapter is for headphone cables that are terminated in 2 3.5mm plugs for use with balanced amps like Sony PGA3

May 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #12,047 of 45,723
Sony engineers said that they personally auditioned different 4.4 sockets made by Pentaconn and went with the one they liked best. So, it is Pentaconn

Thanks. Altho now you have my attention for a different part of the message. I did not know that pentaconn manufactured different variations of the 4.4mm socket. Care to elaborate further on this if the engineers did indeed speak more on this?

May 9, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #12,048 of 45,723
Thanks. Altho now you have my attention for a different part of the message. I did not know that pentaconn manufactured different variations of the 4.4mm socket. Care to elaborate further on this if the engineers did indeed speak more on this?

No, it was a closed door deal and auditions. Everyone including jeita, Pentaconn, and Sony are the people who is forming the 4.4mm to be what it is now, and going to be. That means more than likely that the Socket and Pentaconn you can buy now are all stock by Sony, unless you are talking about the upgrade OFC plugs which was released later at 5x the price...lol

May 9, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #12,049 of 45,723
I think they said in the interview that they made prototypes from different metals/alloys and selected the one they preferred to be the production version

May 9, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #12,051 of 45,723
if you carry a WM1A you don't have to take it out from the backpack?
You have to take it out but for a long trip you won't be as exhausted. lol

May 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #12,052 of 45,723
my remote does not work since some days, don't know why it doesn't want to pair with the player. Is there a way to reset it or pair it again?

May 9, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #12,053 of 45,723
my remote does not work since some days, don't know why it doesn't want to pair with the player. Is there a way to reset it or pair it again?

It was mentioned somewhere in this thread how to unpair the remote and pair it again

May 9, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #12,054 of 45,723
yep but can't find the search in the thread function since the damn forum update !!!

May 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #12,056 of 45,723
Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #12,057 of 45,723

You try holding the play n - button

May 10, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #12,058 of 45,723
I think they said in the interview that they made prototypes from different metals/alloys and selected the one they preferred to be the production version

I understand that there are both a copper and a brass Pentaconn connectors...do you know which version was adopted/chosen by Sony? and why?

May 10, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #12,059 of 45,723
I understand that there are both a copper and a brass Pentaconn connectors...do you know which version was adopted/chosen by Sony? and why?
What do you mean adopted? Do you mean "used" by the Sony cables or do you mean supported by Sony? I have both Pentaconn OFC and regular. The OFC is double the price of the regular. Retail the Pentaconn OFC is approx ~USD$88. I highly doubt if Sony would use that in their cables supplied on the MDR-Z1R (or even the optional accessory Sony/Kimber versions).

OTOH if the question is whether Sony supports the OFC and regular Pentaconn, I believe they do to both as Pentconn is by NDICS which is who Sony worked with on the specs for the 4.4mm. I've go a suite of the 4.4mm connectors, have a look at this post :-

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/n...ship-hi-end-dap.815841/page-590#post-13236536
(note at that time I didn't have the OFC version of the Pentaconn, looks the same as the regular Pentaconn but just gunmetal grey housing)

May 10, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #12,060 of 45,723
What do you mean adopted? Do you mean "used" by the Sony cables or do you mean supported by Sony? I have both Pentaconn OFC and regular. The OFC is double the price of the regular. Retail the Pentaconn OFC is approx ~USD$88. I highly doubt if Sony would use that in their cables supplied on the MDR-Z1R (or even the optional accessory Sony/Kimber versions).

OTOH if the question is whether Sony supports the OFC and regular Pentaconn, I believe they do to both as Pentconn is by NDICS which is who Sony worked with on the specs for the 4.4mm. I've go a suite of the 4.4mm connectors, have a look at this post :-

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/n...ship-hi-end-dap.815841/page-590#post-13236536
(note at that time I didn't have the OFC version of the Pentaconn, looks the same as the regular Pentaconn but just gunmetal grey housing)

Yes by "adopted" I mean "used by". Both type of connectors are made by Pentaconn so it should work with Sony players.

The OFC version (with metal barrel) are twice the price of the brass (with plastic? barrel) version. I have seen both Made in Japan and Made in China version with obviously a premium on those Made in Japan connectors. I would expect no sonic different from either

Sony/Kimber are made in China, so they will be using just the Pentaconn's internal with their proprietary barrel.

*all these are just my observation of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back