SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #11,958 of 45,723
i think is a better balanced connector, the 4.4 aka. pentaconn is more compact and robust, more compact tan XLR and robust tan these 2.5mm and dual 3.5

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #11,959 of 45,723
My iPod coworker asked for the WM1A Price :D he called me crazy :p. I pay the Price ofr the sound LOL

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #11,961 of 45,723
I actually really wanted to buy the wm1a so i can have one dap instead of iphone+neutron+mojo setup. But after listen to wm1a vs my current very inconvenient setup, i somehow prefer the mojo. I was comparing balanced cables with the store z1r my mod z7 and se846 and play off my own SD with wav and dsd files for almost 2 hours. I mostly listen to volcas. May be i should give it more time with different kind of music? Not sure if i want to spend 1k+ for wm1a anymore, it just doesnt jistify the price vs mojo, of cause minus the iphone which i already have. And i did try the new onkyo phone-dap as well as AR dap and few others, non of them are as good as wm1a, the power off balanced just so strong all others sounds thin and light. Also a lot of my misic uses cue files which sony doesnt support.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #11,962 of 45,723
I actually really wanted to buy the wm1a so i can have one dap instead of iphone+neutron+mojo setup. But after listen to wm1a vs my current very inconvenient setup, i somehow prefer the mojo. I was comparing balanced cables with z7 z1r and se846 and play off my own SD with wav and dsd files for almost 2 hours. I mostly listen to volcas. May be i should give it more time with different kind of music? Not sure if i want to spend 1k+ for wm1a anymore, it just doesnt jistify the price vs mojo, of cause minus the iphone which i already have.

Believe and trust in your ears and perceptions, nothing else matter :). No one, and no amount of money can buy the level of satisfactions that you currently have now with your setup. Be proud, and keep it that way. I am a sucker in this hobby so I keep spending money to get what I want, and before I know it...I have the whole Stax system in my corner
IMG_1554.JPG

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #11,963 of 45,723
I actually really wanted to buy the wm1a so i can have one dap instead of iphone+neutron+mojo setup. But after listen to wm1a vs my current very inconvenient setup, i somehow prefer the mojo. I was comparing balanced cables with the store z1r my mod z7 and se846 and play off my own SD with wav and dsd files for almost 2 hours. I mostly listen to volcas. May be i should give it more time with different kind of music? Not sure if i want to spend 1k+ for wm1a anymore, it just doesnt jistify the price vs mojo, of cause minus the iphone which i already have. And i did try the new onkyo phone-dap as well as AR dap and few others, non of them are as good as wm1a, the power off balanced just so strong all others sounds thin and light. Also a lot of my misic uses cue files which sony doesnt support.

This may not help, but I'll say it anyway. You have probably attuned your ears to your mojo setup; this is inevitable if you listen to one setup for a prolonged period. You get familiar with it, and are generally not surprised by what it does. Because of this, it is REALLY hard to be objective when listening to an alternative system as you'll likely tend towards the familiar unless there is a really startling difference in the positive with the new equipment.

My only suggestion is to try and introduce objectivity. Ask yourself what you want from your music, clarity of vocals, balance throughout the specturm, power, no sibliance, etc etc. If you can produce a list of requirements, you have something to evaluate against, otherwise, in all probability, you'll stick with what you have. If all this sounds a little over the top, to my way of thinking, its the only way to come up with an objective method of comparison......

As an alternative (or as part of what I suggested above), I do not now where you're located but if you are in the UK, you can use either the DSR or Amazon's return policy to your advantage. Buy a 1a, and listen ONLY to it for as long as possible (as defined by the appropriate ruturn policy) and try to ensure the unit completes the recommended settling in period. If you don't like it, return it for a full refund......

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #11,965 of 45,723
We all have our own preferences, nothing wrong with that. If you find after spending time with the Walkman it doesn't grab your attention, that's fine.

From your comment it seems you have tried the balanced output via the Z1R/Z7 already with your own music. One last thing I'd ask is if you tried it via direct mode and high gain in the sound settings? I personally prefer turning off all the sound processing and showing what the Sony is capable on its own, might want to check that out. But either way, no worries if you gave it a go and didn't find it to your taste eh? Not everyone has to like everything we do :)

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #11,966 of 45,723
May 1, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #11,968 of 45,723
Except EU and Japan. Others should be fine.

May 2, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #11,970 of 45,723
Win64 should be fine, is D: the drive letter og the internal storage ?

To change use something like

.... set E2 off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back