SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #10,472 of 45,723
Then why did Sony not directly wired it to work native DSD on SE ? Remember, Walkman doesn't has your typical DAC....

I think it's more for the convenience of using 4.4mm terminated cables with almost every other piece of audio equipment out there right now with 3.5mm sockets...for a JEITA standard, adoption of 4.4mm has been kinda paltry.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #10,473 of 45,723
I just wonder that does anyplace make a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter ?

You mean something close to this (yeah I'm aware the below is to a 2.5mm TRRS instead of your 3.5mm male adapter): http://e4ua.jp/?p=2292

But this is a no joke 25,000 yen (~USD$222). A little too expensive for my tastes but extremely well done. I bought 2x square Pentaconn female socket and will solder the wires to male 2.5mm TRRS and 3.5mm TRS instead. Aesthetically won't end up as nice as the one above but should do the job. I'm wondering how the heck the maker above managed to squeeze in the Pentaconn female socket into a round housing unless he built a 4.4mm female socket entirely from scratch.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #10,474 of 45,723
I was having music skipping problems and songs (in wav & FLAC) playing halfway and stopped with message incompatible format.

After updating to the latest firmware, I'm still having this issue.

Any of you guys face this issue?

I don't think its the files as the same files plays perfectly in my other DAPs.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #10,475 of 45,723
I think it's more for the convenience of using 4.4mm terminated cables with almost every other piece of audio equipment out there right now with 3.5mm sockets...for a JEITA standard, adoption of 4.4mm has been kinda paltry.

That's because they the female sockets are :-

1) so hard to find,
2) the Pentaconn ones are like Yen 5000 (~USD$44.36) each! Even if it's cheaper for makers, it's still won't be as cheap as the normal 3.5mm or 2.5mm sockets
3) the currently available female sockets are huge which means for deeper DAPs/Amps, etc.

Fat (no pun intended) chance of trying to put that kinda socket into the likes of the Onkyo and Pioneer-like slim players. For something like the DX200, it'll be possible but will be quite a challenge.

The 4.4mm makes a damn good intermediary though (like 4.4mm -> 2.5mm, 3.5mm, Kobiconn, XLR, etc).

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #10,476 of 45,723
You mean something close to this (yeah I'm aware the below is to a 2.5mm TRRS instead of your 3.5mm male adapter): http://e4ua.jp/?p=2292

But this is a no joke 25,000 yen (~USD$222). A little too expensive for my tastes but extremely well done. I bought 2x square Pentaconn female socket and will solder the wires to male 2.5mm TRRS and 3.5mm TRS instead. Aesthetically won't end up as nice as the one above but should do the job. I'm wondering how the heck the maker above managed to squeeze in the Pentaconn female socket into a round housing unless he built a 4.4mm female socket entirely from scratch.

Hmm. Google Translate seems to suggest that this DIYer managed to squeeze the Pentaconn female jack into the housing. Can anyone with Japanese comprehension clarify this? I can hardly believe that that specific female connector (I have one from my last trip to Japan just lying around looking for a housing) can fit into such a tiny barrel. 
2) the Pentaconn ones are like Yen 5000 (~USD$4.42) each!

At USD 4.42 I'd be stockpiling them...hahaha. More like USD 44.20.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #10,477 of 45,723
  Hmm. Google Translate seems to suggest that this DIYer managed to squeeze the Pentaconn female jack into the housing. Can anyone with Japanese comprehension clarify this? I can hardly believe that that specific female connector (I have one from my last trip to Japan just lying around looking for a housing) can fit into such a tiny barrel. 

He modified the jack by cutting it to make it fit. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #10,479 of 45,723

Since the release, I haven't got the WM1A, getting it in early December from Japan.

You mean, you're waiting on delivery from last 3 months? Where did you make your purchase?

No, I was suppose to get it june 2017 during my visit to japan, my trip got delayed, to October 2017, but finally confirmed December 2017, so now its 9 month to wait, hong kong has overpriced to WM1A, so i decided to get it from Japan, even my ZX 2 was from Japan, much cheaper too with tax free and extra discount on top.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #10,480 of 45,723

Sony doesn't use any typical DAC, more like clocking and mechanical works to interpreted digital signals through a filter circuitry and into class D amplification to get the Walkman working. Therefore, balanced circuitry will have 2 Separated lines of works intended for each channel. We all know each channel carries it own signals.

So ask yourself again, what if you short these channels together ?

I can not stop people to destroy their own player and Walkman. But I would never help them make it happen though

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #10,481 of 45,723
  I was having music skipping problems and songs (in wav & FLAC) playing halfway and stopped with message incompatible format.

After updating to the latest firmware, I'm still having this issue.

Any of you guys face this issue?

I don't think its the files as the same files plays perfectly in my other DAPs.

I actually think it's the files themselves, It's how they are decoded, and what software is used to decode them, I have some perfect playable files in flac, mp3 and DSD, and I get mix results of them playing on my LG V20, V10 and G5, and also my Sony ZX 2, the files also work on PC, other DAP, smartphones etc., but some of the mention above player shows up as error and skip to next files.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #10,482 of 45,723
Sony doesn't use any typical DAC, more like clocking and mechanical works to interpreted digital signals through a filter circuitry and into class D amplification to get the Walkman working. Therefore, balanced circuitry will have 2 Separated lines of works intended for each channel. We all know each channel carries it own signals.

So ask yourself again, what if you short these channels together ?

I can not stop people to destroy their own player and Walkman. But I would never help them make it happen though

I think you're thinking of something else - the adaptor is 4.4mm female to 3.5 single ended male for use with other single ended sources. Balanced cables can be converted through such converters to other balanced standards (4.4mm to 2.5mm or even 4 pin XLR, for example) or single ended 3.5mm/6.3mm by connecting both grounds to the unified ground of single ended - the only unsafe converter that would not work is 3.5mm single ended female to 4.4mm balanced male (or any other form of single ended female to balanced male) which would lead to short circuiting and damage for the DAP, headphone or both.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #10,483 of 45,723
I think you're thinking of something else - the adaptor is 4.4mm female to 3.5 single ended male for use with other single ended sources. Balanced cables can be converted through such converters to other balanced standards (4.4mm to 2.5mm, for example) or single ended 3.5mm/6.3mm by connecting both grounds to the unified ground of single ended - the only unsafe converter that would not work is 3.5mm single ended female to 4.4mm balanced male which would lead to short circuiting and damage for the DAP, headphone or both.

Yep going from a balanced terminated phone through an adapter to single ended is perfectly safe, going the other way is not

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #10,484 of 45,723
Ah, he was asking about an adaptor to go from 4.4mm Male into 3.5 SE connection. If that is the case, it would work. I am in fact going to make one soon, very soon. Actually 2x, but one is reserved :)

For a moment I thought he was asking about using 4.4mm Balanced out on the Walkman into an SE headphones

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #10,485 of 45,723
I just wonder that does anyplace make a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter ?

Ah, he was asking about an adaptor to go from 4.4mm Male into 3.5 SE connection. If that is the case, it would work. I am in fact going to make one soon, very soon. Actually 2x, but one is reserved
smily_headphones1.gif

For a moment I thought he was asking about using 4.4mm Balanced out on the Walkman into an SE headphones

Probably for clarity sake, it's 4.4mm FEmale to 3.5mm SE male :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back