SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #9,751 of 45,723
If you're referring to the adaptor someone else mentioned buying here, the concern was going from a 3.5mm SE to a 4.4mm balanced, due to how it's wired internally. But 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced should be fine, and vice versa provided the manufacturer knows what they're doing.

I hope Sony will be releasing some adaptors themselves too

No I mean if you want to adapt a 4.4mm balanced iem cable to us it on DAP with 3.5mm SE jack

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #9,754 of 45,723
The main problem here seems to be to find a 4,4mm female plug

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #9,755 of 45,723

The main problem here seems to be to find a 4,4mm female plug

I think this is the 2nd time I've heard about this. I bought a 4.4mm female socket for myself (although I haven't built not decided if I wanna build a 4.4mm -> 2.5mm TRRS or 4.4mm -> 3.5mm TRS yet) but each time I go to e-earphone, they have 4.4mm female sockets on the shelf. Not cheap though, 5,000 yen and big.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #9,756 of 45,723
Summary

3.5mm Single-Ended Female -> 4.4mm Balanced Male = No, Will short circuit.

4.4mm Balanced Female -> 3.5mm Single-Ended Male = OK.

4.4mm Balanced Female -> 3.5mm Balanced Male = OK.

4.4mm Balanced Female -> 2.5mm Balanced Male = OK.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #9,758 of 45,723
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #9,760 of 45,723
To the best of my knowledge and understanding that adaptor will cause a short possibly damaging the player

Actually I want to use one of the NW-WM1Z's outputs as an analog line out to a power amp. Since the WM port only outputs digital and as you said the 4.4mm might cause a short, I guess I've to settle using the 3.5mm output using a 3.55mm to RCA adapter. Wouldn't want to risk damaging the player, thanks.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #9,761 of 45,723
Must also be in a folder called "Music".

Best to get a new card or to reformat an existing card.

Cheers

Thanks. My cards are mostly all exFat and with 20 I am not going to reformat so I did the Music folder and it works great. Thank you again.
  I have a question, why do 4.4m balanced to 3.5 SE doesn't work and necessarily creates a short circuit, whereas there are many 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm and that isn't a problem?

You can not can not convert a balanced out to SE unless you add more circuit but that would degrade the signal. You will blow something. You can always make a cable that is balanced into a single ended cable by tying what was the 2 neg legs together so they go to ground. The positive R and L will remain. All of my headphones are balanced and I have balanced or single ended plugs to use with the cables. 

Actually I want to use one of the NW-WM1Z's outputs as an analog line out to a power amp. Since the WM port only outputs digital and as you said the 4.4mm might cause a short, I guess I've to settle using the 3.5mm output using a 3.55mm to RCA adapter. Wouldn't want to risk damaging the player, thanks.

You have to know what you are doing with the circuit because the output is a circuit. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #9,762 of 45,723
I have a somewhat related question: If I want to use an amp with the WM1A, does it matter sq-wise if I use the balanced vs SE out? Also, does it make sense to ramp the volume up to 100% in order to minimize degradation through attenuation?

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #9,763 of 45,723
  I have a somewhat related question: If I want to use an amp with the WM1A, does it matter sq-wise if I use the balanced vs SE out? Also, does it make sense to ramp the volume up to 100% in order to minimize degradation through attenuation?

It didn't work too well with me. Just double amping with the 1Z with external amps, I had distortion (this is using the 1Z as a pre-amp, and attempting to fix the 1Z volume and using the external amp vol). You can play around with both volume controls however at least in my attempts, I couldn't get a loud enough -clean- volume.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #9,765 of 45,723

Thanks. My cards are mostly all exFat and with 20 I am not going to reformat so I did the Music folder and it works great. Thank you again.
You can not can not convert a balanced out to SE unless you add more circuit but that would degrade the signal. You will blow something. You can always make a cable that is balanced into a single ended cable by tying what was the 2 neg legs together so they go to ground. The positive R and L will remain. All of my headphones are balanced and I have balanced or single ended plugs to use with the cables. 

You have to know what you are doing with the circuit because the output is a circuit. 

So I reckon the only straightforward option is to use the 3.5mm output from the 1Z as lineout into my home stereo poweramp, although not sure sq would be any good since the headphone output is not really a dedicated lineout. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back