1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Redcarmoose
    I’m just joking :)
    50F28F1E-85A9-4F86-97F8-B820A32F7B55.jpeg
    I’m loving the new colors?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    named name likes this.
  2. Hyde8767
    Wait are those speakers on it

3. Mund1
    Sure looks like built in speakers! If I may, it kind of cheapifies things in my humble opinion.

Erfan Elahi and Hyde8767 like this.
  4. Redcarmoose
  5. siruspan
    20190404_151250.jpg

They sure look good together :wink:

6. Mathieulh
    They sure don't sound good together though, the NW-WM1A lacks the power to drive the MDR-Z1R properly, you just don't nearly the same amount of detail as you would driving it from a desktop (or more powerful portable) amplifier.
    While high impedance headphones require higher voltage, low impedance headphones on the other end, require higher current. Lower impedance doesn't always mean easier to drive, that's something to keep in mind.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  7. nc8000 Contributor
    Don’t know about the 1A but they certainly sound fine on 1Z with high gain on, but yes they sound better from the SE amp

Aslshark likes this.
  8. Mathieulh
    The 1Z has the same power output, so no, it doesn't sound "fine" from it. It sounds fine (actually great) from the DMP-Z1 from the balanced output,the Sony ta-zh1es or even the Hiby R6 Pro from the balanced output.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  9. nc8000 Contributor
    Well to each his own

10. Mathieulh
    i did extended listenings on all those equipments and the difference in sound quality using the MDR-Z1R between, the DMP-Z1 and the NW-WM1Z is night and day and plainly obvious.

[​IMG]

Erfan Elahi, Hyde8767 and Midnstorms like this.
  11. nc8000 Contributor
    I’m sure you did but to me and my ears and my standards they sound fine from the 1Z and better from the ES but never night and day difference

phonomat likes this.
  12. Redcarmoose
    Still the 1A is great at powering the Z1R. Yes......everything is a pissing contest. Take the Z1R and DMP-Z1 then go listen to a 100K speaker rig. It’s all relevant. PSsssss

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissing_contest

Steen Pihl and rcoleman1 like this.
  13. blazinblazin
    I am surprised R6 Pro able to push this well.
    From what I tried my friend's R6 Pro bass is muddy compared to 1A. Audio shop boss agrees with me and says that it has the power but don't drives things well/properly.

14. Mathieulh
    The R6 Pro bass did not/does not sound muddy to me.

15. blazinblazin
    That's what I heard using Acoustune HS1650CU (Warmer sounding DD IEM) playing same song on MSD card.
    Or does it needs more burn in time? My friend had it for like 3 weeks. Or maybe it does not pair well with this pair of IEM.