SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #27,916 of 45,723
I am not and you are right in everything...
But once again... the question is : « which is the best ? »
For whom ? For himself I suppose...???
I am not agressive... but this kind of question well... always questions me !

For instance, I could ask which is the best between Xelentos and AK IEM...?
But MY ears even don’t support the Tesla sound technology !
You see what I mean ?
Just an example...
Try to find the combos and test by yourself huh ?
You will hear - by yourself - which is the best for your ears...
Earring sounds and feeling is so much personal...!

Over for me and I like everybody here for I learn so much from all of you
Just chiming in, and putting on my political hat, and agreeing with both points of view. While I do feel that some questions cannot be answered, and tend to trivialize the forum, at the same time, I guess it is an exercize in patience, and understanding that different people see different things as "normal". Similar to situations when a young child asks questions that cannot be answered, though we attempt to. They have not learned, or are in the habit, of trusting their own opinion over others, and concluding that there are things that have no good answer. And sometimes, the question makes us think a little deeper, and maybe question our known "truths". Overall, I am thankful that the forum is productive and interesting, though the tone and users change over time, which is normal, and the forum has not degraded into mud slinging, and personal attacks, which is so easy to do, and has killed many forums.

May 12, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #27,917 of 45,723
I have not heard the IER-M9. But........ fit on the IER-Z1R can be iffy for some. Meaning I have read about people getting an easier fit with the M9. The IER-Z1R fit me perfect though it really is big and heavy. But as it fits it’s absolutely a comfortable IEM. Choosing the M9 or Z1R could be a question of musical tone. The Z1R will be more over the top maybe as far as treble and bass. Though for the folks wanting those dynamics it’s the cat’s meow!

As far as matching the four, I can only comment on the IER-Z1R and 1A and 1Z. And again there is no right or wrong good or bad combo here. It’s more about finding your own personal tone. Surprisingly the Z1R IEM makes the 1A way thicker. The Z1R makes the 1A something special. If you had some kind of test IEM which could purely show the character of two DAPs......the 1A has less low end, a more even treble and a less thick soundstage. The 1Z has a treble and bass boost along with a thicker front to back and full soundstage. Crazy as it seems the Z1R can bring some of that thickness to the 1A! The Z1R is naturally thick. And the 1Z is nice with the Z1R but besides myself others feel the 1A and Z1R combo has faster and more nimble bass. Though I use both DAPs.....and it’s hard to tell what would be the best combo.....as it’s totally subjective....really.

The M9 is going to be all BA so (even though I have not heard it) it’s safe to say it will offer BA decay. Where the Z1R has both a DD bass and supertweeter and a BA for the midrange. The Z1R will have slower but more natural decay. I feel the supertweeter is more natural than any BA I have heard.

Your better off just trying stuff, or use the written words here to get a clue as to what to try. Nothing will be better than a demo. You can read about this stuff till the cows come home and not get anywhere near as much “proof” as trying some gear.....even for a moment. IMO
Thank you so much. I just focus on
clarity and details. :))

May 12, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #27,918 of 45,723
Thank you so much. I just focus on
clarity and details. :))

Don’t know how much I can really help? As it’s probably somehow more abstract. Like one combo would be slightly deeper sounding and due to soundstage actually have more detail? There is a member in the IER-Z1R thread that has the M9 and IER-Z1R.....I’ll get his name for you.

Edit:

He has both IEMs.
https://www.head-fi.org/members/giullian.481626/

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #27,919 of 45,723
Just wondering...

Are there any leads about Sony updating the WM1Z/WM1A anytime soon? It's been almost three years since Sony released the WM1 product line and competing brands have been aggressive in updating their respective offerings.

I hope Sony includes the following features in the next iteration of the WM1Z/WM1A:

1. Variable line-out function for both unbalanced and balanced output (already seen in the LPGT and, based on its published specs sheet, the N6ii)
2. A bit more power (at least match the power output from newly-released/about-to-be-released DAPs competing directly with the WM1 series)
3. Maybe a better version of LDAC?
4. USB-C and fast charging (minus any proprietary LOD)
5.Better Effects and more flexibility tuning sound! that eq its 60 years old there is actual better technology at least make it flexible for user to change band HZ frecuencies stage variation will be wellcome too something simple but powerfull! (more control on the user side over sound!)

And I hope Sony retains the following:

1. Looooong battery life (my WM1A has almost 1,600 hours of playing time and it can still run continuously for 24 hrs when using the 4.4mm HP out)
2. Non-Android UI (I really think Sony nailed this one compared to the UI employed by other brands)
3. Arguably best-in-class DAP ergonomics

I will just add this! :point_up_2: custom fit:shirt:

May 12, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #27,920 of 45,723
I am not and you are right in everything...
But once again... the question is : « which is the best ? »
For whom ? For himself I suppose...???
I am not agressive... but this kind of question well... always questions me !

For instance, I could ask which is the best between Xelentos and AK IEM...?
But MY ears even don’t support the Tesla sound technology !
You see what I mean ?
Just an example...
Try to find the combos and test by yourself huh ?
You will hear - by yourself - which is the best for your ears...
Earring sounds and feeling is so much personal...!

Over for me and I like everybody here for I learn so much from all of you
Its is true there is no better i agree, i prefer this forum running lol than people quiet not asking anything that just borring haha, but thats me... i agree with other opinions as well no hard feelings:boy:

May 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #27,921 of 45,723
If anyone knows if there is any Sony announcement at the Munich Show this weekend?

May 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #27,923 of 45,723
I hope Sony will create more N3AP style in-ear monitors. I don't like anything that hangs around my ears... when AKG K3003 and N3AP can sound this good, I see no reason to wear something that hangs around the ears.
They don't contribute to sound quality and comfort in any way.
So I like models such as IE800s, Yamaha EPH 200, Sony N3AP, AKG K3003, etc. They fit straight into your ears.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #27,924 of 45,723
Sony usually announces un september

I would agree, the ZX1 was announced in September 2013, however this thread was started and products announced in July (2016), and some previous gen Walkmans have been announced in July, so I guess we'll have to find out, between July and September!

Something is definitely cooking though, as Sony UK have revamped their site with Historical pieces on the Walkman and there seemed to be a flurry of external sites in February exploring the history of the Walkman.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/audio-signature-series

Walkman%20History%20-%20Making%20of%20an%20Icon.jpg

Walkman%20History%20-%20Maximising%20audio%20quality.jpg

Walkman%20History%20-%20Revolutionising%20personal%20listening.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #27,926 of 45,723
Are there any rumors or info on the successor for the WM1A? Also, any comparisons between the WM1A and A&K SE100?
I have tried SE100 recently. I would say very close to 1A 3.01 sound. Probably 1A is very slightly warmer.

May 13, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #27,928 of 45,723
The birds told me it was an update to the zx300. A refresh.
The main players are not being looked at till at least next year, if not longer.

May 13, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #27,930 of 45,723
It's not confirmed till sony says it, but that's the word. We will all find out soon enough. I am very happy with 1A, but if the next ZX Update can approach that level of SQ in a smaller package, I would have to take a very hard look at it.

ADD: the ZX300 is a few tiers below the 1A. I can't for the life of me see how people can say they sound the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back