SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #27,886 of 45,723
I have a question. I often listen to music in the kitchen on this Marshall Woburn powered speaker. With having the WM1Z now, what is the best avenue of getting the best possible sound... for what it's worth.

1) There is a 3.5 std jack on top, that comes with the (as shown) coiled cable. Stay with this means, 3.5 std but get a different cable?_________. if so, what is a good choice (need a 2ft length) ?______

2) OR... Any sound advantage to using the RCA jacks or the Optical on the back, over the 3.5 std for sound ?_______

3) Would the 4.4 Balanced out on the WM1Z to the Woburn, i.e. 3.5 std jack do anything better for quality ?___________ (or completely dumb question)

Optical allways sounds diferent from miniplug i guess depends what kind of sound you want guessing miniplug will be colored out being more suitable for the amp you mention but also optical should be more nimble and neutral defeating wm1z character hope others reply too so i see if im wrong here

May 10, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #27,887 of 45,723
I have a question. I often listen to music in the kitchen on this Marshall Woburn powered speaker. With having the WM1Z now, what is the best avenue of getting the best possible sound... for what it's worth.

1) There is a 3.5 std jack on top, that comes with the (as shown) coiled cable. Stay with this means, 3.5 std but get a different cable?_________. if so, what is a good choice (need a 2ft length) ?______

2) OR... Any sound advantage to using the RCA jacks or the Optical on the back, over the 3.5 std for sound ?_______

3) Would the 4.4 Balanced out on the WM1Z to the Woburn, i.e. 3.5 std jack do anything better for quality ?___________ (or completely dumb question)

RCA input and the 3.5mm input should be the same, one would have to look at the circuit topology to really know for sure.
The WMA Walkmans don't have Optical out obviously. Even if you somehow do manage to connect it that way, then you would be using the Woburn's DAC section, thus will be using your WM1Z as a digital transport, hence you wouldn't really be getting any of the Walkman's flavor when using your Woburn.

May 10, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #27,888 of 45,723
I mean, even if I replace the std Marshall coiled cable with a better quality replacement. Will it do any good, noticeable difference ?

If I had one made, what would be a good replacement ?

Can I utilize the Balanced out of the 1Z to a std 3.5 if possible / if any advantage.. ?

May 10, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #27,890 of 45,723
I mean, even if I replace the std Marshall coiled cable with a better quality replacement. Will it do any good, noticeable difference ?

If I had one made, what would be a good replacement ?

Can I utilize the Balanced out of the 1Z to a std 3.5 if possible / if any advantage.. ?

You can very well replace the included cable if you wish, though I cannot comment as to the changes in sound as that is a very subjective matter. Any noticeable difference will be a matter of perception.

It is not recommended that you try to connect your WM1Z 4.4mm balanced to your Wolburn either 3.5mm stereo or RCA, as those are not balanced inputs. For a information about balanced connections see the link: https://www.headphones.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide
As the information there more or less applies to both earphone / headphones and speakers.

May 11, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #27,891 of 45,723
I realize now that any DDC that you want to use with the WM1a may not work if it is powered by the USB, meaning power must come from the WM1a. I would go with a self powered DDC for best results. Also the K3 is USB powered DAC so may not have enough power from the WM1a to work. Have no idea what the audio quality of the optical output is, but guessing it's at best mediocre given the price.

Anyway, I'm completely unfamiliar with the external DAC you are trying to use but given it's limitation on inputs, it's probably pretty dated and quite possible a lower quality audio than your WM1a so not sure what you are trying to accomplish. In fact the K3 may be a better DAC that the old one you have.
Probably you are right. My current source player to my home HIFI is Sonos Connect, since I have this WM1A, give it a try to test its sound to home audio system. Too bad WM1A lack out optical/coaxial output . I even try out WM1A analog output via 4.4mm to RCA cable to my integrated amplifier, need to set WM1A volume to Max.

Off topic, Cambridge Audio DacMagic is one of the best DAC in the late 00s with Wolfson DAC chips (now acquired by Cirrus Logic) . Here's one of the review back then

https://www.techradar.com/sg/review...ystems/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-465736/review

May 11, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #27,894 of 45,723
Maybe this has been asked before, but trying to understand why the 1A/1Z is so much cheaper here in Japan. I want to pick one up but it appears that the language cannot be changed to english and my日本語 sucks.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this? ありがとう

You can use the RockBox Sony region tool to change the player region and language

May 11, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #27,895 of 45,723

may not be the best sound, but did you try bluetooth and aptx? should sound pretty good and you can have your WM up to 30ft away

the big problem with these external speakers (and not just the marshall) are they are not designed to be audiophile...the difference between 3.5"/optical/bluetooth might not be as much as you think it would be

May 11, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #27,896 of 45,723
Call me crazy but I'm starting to prefer the sound out of the SE over Balanced on my walkman.. The sound is to me much cleaner on my hd800S

It may be the cable?

May 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #27,897 of 45,723
may not be the best sound, but did you try bluetooth and aptx? should sound pretty good and you can have your WM up to 30ft away

the big problem with these external speakers (and not just the marshall) are they are not designed to be audiophile...the difference between 3.5"/optical/bluetooth might not be as much as you think it would be

I did do the Bluetooth bit with my MBP to the Marshall. It worked okay, once you figure out the proper way to utilize the codec. When I walked between the MBP and the Marshall, it disrupts the signal. Not into the the Bluetooth route.

But you're probably right, with the Marshall, either means of connection may not make a difference. I may just get a better quality Mini to Mini (3.5) 2' cable, one of those costly 1/2" dia girthy cables (like the elaborate stacked up, much use of copper setups being posted on Head-FI facebook page) and call it good. LOL

May 11, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #27,900 of 45,723
Between WM1A + IER-Z1R and WM1Z + IER-M9, which pairs are sound better?
Sorry indeed... but you are VERY funny with those kind of questions !? :astonished:
Do you REALLY expect someone will tell you what are YOUR tastes in sounds to your OWN ears ??? :smirk:
Do you REALLY need that ? :thinking:
Or it’s just a joke for continuing this post living ? :grin:

You also miss the question : « and with what kind of music please ? » :L3000:
No... I dont agree, people have the right to make questions based on forum partners who may own several products :L3000: (and may share there experience)... it is known taht sound its personal i agree but someone may share its personal experience pointing something that must be usefull for other forum readers as well.

So there is no need for agression here.... if only valid questions are allowed here we should be computers that never fail a correct statement in sync with other users. Such a thing may be posible in a near future but not ATM (its a joke also) also keep in mind that people dont have access to listening and maybe purchasing purely on others opinion accepting the risk I Have doned that and im pretty happy! and thankfull

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back