SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 10, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #4,007 of 15,737
For Singaporeans reading this thread. I recommend to visit the Sony Wisma store over the 313 Somerset store as there are many more equipment for you to demo.

313 only has ZX507 and WM1AM2 for listening.

Wisma not only have the above but also DMP-Z1, TA-ZH1ES, WM1ZM2 as well.

The only thing better about the 313 store is there are better and more demo songs on the WM1AM2. Not that it matters if you brought your own microSD card along.
Agree. Got mine 1am2 from wisma after try out.

May 10, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #4,008 of 15,737
Seems like a few people didn't like their purchase

There are already 4 used (perfect condition) WM1ZM2 on e-earphone.

I assume samples that have been used for demoing or similar use cases.
1652185925045.png

Used WM1AM2 are also available
1652186947928.png

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #4,009 of 15,737
270 pages of taling about the volume cap and other things that have nthing to dow tih the sound quality so let me ask again

how is sonic-wise, 1a2 compared to a Mr Walkman CFW 1a ?
There are probably still so few of the new ones out and many of those are probably still burning in and few of those owners will have a MrWalkman M1 and/or a Nayparm or other hw modded M1

May 10, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,011 of 15,737
Thanks for this information, I was wondering exactly this.. i.e. how does the Gryphon DAC solution compare to the Walkman as another option. 👍

From the reviews sounds like a less well polished product too with the bugs (max volume etc)
Mine gryphon has no bug since first day of use and even after i upgrade firmware. Used on s20+. But it got annoyingly ^pop sound when u activate xbass option.

I got gryphon as a dac cos I listen streaming mainly from hp. I am not convinced by chifi dap (with streaming) after trying out the sound on dx240, r5, r6 2020 (this price range). Thus i chose ifi for a more affordable, simple and direct solution. Until i heard 1am2 doing streaming and the sound it produce. Before i use pha3 from sony too.

Sony just sound just so much better than gryphon in everything. Even listening to Spotify sound superbly good (to me at least).

U can imaging how satisfying i am with 1am2, that after testing sony for 30min, walk out of shop and my first decision is to get rid of ifi asap. Lol.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #4,014 of 15,737
Mine gryphon has no bug since first day of use and even after i upgrade firmware. Used on s20+. But it got annoyingly ^pop sound when u activate xbass option.

I got gryphon as a dac cos I listen streaming mainly from hp. I am not convinced by chifi dap (with streaming) after trying out the sound on dx240, r5, r6 2020 (this price range). Thus i chose ifi for a more affordable, simple and direct solution. Until i heard 1am2 doing streaming and the sound it produce. Before i use pha3 from sony too.

Sony just sound just so much better than gryphon in everything. Even listening to Spotify sound superbly good (to me at least).

U can imaging how satisfying i am with 1am2, that after testing sony for 30min, walk out of shop and my first decision is to get rid of ifi asap. Lol.

Thanks good to know, I too love Sony sound. Almost purchased a PHA-2A a year ago, but none around now.

May 10, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,015 of 15,737
if you register an iem in the headphone app and don't like the sound do you have to disable the entire app in android or is there a way to return to the original sound in the app?
You can just unregister the device. Just remove everything in the headphone app if you are not using any Sony iem/headphones. Just re-add when you want to use Sony branded iems/headphones, your ear profile is cached. Just need to switch on wifi when you re-add.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,017 of 15,737
I tried campfire holocene (among 1 of the lowest impedance) with 4.4mm, with 1am2, very very slight hiss but very acceptable to me.

Cause I came from ifi gryphon which hiss like mad (waterfall sound) on 4.4mm. The hiss on Sony 4.4mm is like the hiss on ifi gryphon 3.5mm or slightly less. Sony just sound so musical and really push the performance of my Holocene to the max.

Sold off my gryphon that very night after i tried Sony.
After I got WM1AM2, my gryphon is used as the USB DAC for PC only.

May 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,018 of 15,737
Taking the Lime Ears Pneuma demo, courtesy of @Uncle Wilson of Jaben Singapore, for a spin with the 1ZM2. Surprisingly good listen. I will confess that I have never heard of Lime Ears prior to this. :)

60A93D69-DFE4-4CE7-8086-5DF093F51702.jpeg

May 10, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,019 of 15,737
Yes, most definitely , and that is why I am addicted to disabling bloatware with Android DAP
I wonder how much more performance and sound quality we can achieve on these android daps if we are able to completely remove every non-audio related apps/services while still keeping enough to allow for streaming apps and other music apps to function properly.

My WM1AM2 after debloating now feels just as snappy as an IPhone 8 or a Pixel 3 smartphone when it comes to song browsing.

I would highly recommend for M2 Walkman owners who values better performance to do the adb uninstall procedure for Google bloatware. It is a really noticeable jump in snappiness.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #4,020 of 15,737
I wonder how much more performance and sound quality we can achieve on these android daps if we are able to completely remove every non-audio related services while still keeping enough to allow for streaming apps and other music apps to function properly.

My WM1AM2 after debloating now feels just as snappy as an IPhone 8 or a Pixel 3 smartphone when it comes to song browsing.

I would highly recommend for M2 Walkman owners who values better performance to do the adb uninstall procedure for Google bloatware. It is a really noticeable jump in snappiness.
How many apps have you disabled and uninstalled ? On Ibasso and Cayin, there could be 70-85 apps disabled. Streamings and essentials features is still functioning just fine

Also, the merits of it is when you root it, grand kernel access, and govern CPU cores. You can govern specific cores for just Audio apps that run in the foreground. Background and all other non related to audio apps will be run by other cores. This is the most significant improvements in sound quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back